This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GBinOz View Post

I also struggle to see the allocation of two senators from each state, regardless of population, to be incongruous with the principles of democracy.

Cheers, George
    Hi George,

We have the same system in Australia with each state having the same number of Senators ( 12) so that the smaller States are treated equally and can't be overridden by the larger States. The exception is the NT and ACT each have only two Senators.

As for the USA, to me it seems that it would be more democratic if there was uniformity in every State how the Electoral College members are selected.

Regards, Gazza
    Why a four-year-old child could understand this report! Run out and find me a four-year-old child, I can't make head or tail of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Fiver View Post

The US Constitution was written in the wake of the French Revolution. The Founders had a fear of mob rule and mob violence. Also, historical republics had been oligarchic republics. The US Constitution was more of a democratic republic and has reduced the oligarchic elements over time.
      Hi Fiver,

With all due respect, the Constitution and the Electoral College was contrived by the rich land and slave owners to preserve their wealth and power. They had good reason to fear the French revolution whereby the obscene excesses of the ruling classes were challenged by those living in abject poverty.

I think that the American equivalent of Oligarch is Corporate CEO, and the transfer of wealth to the few from the many is an indictment on the American (and Australian) system of government.

Cheers, George
      The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.

​Disagreeing doesn't have to be disagreeable - Jeff Hamm

Comment

Originally posted by Enigma View Post

Hi George,

We have the same system in Australia with each state having the same number of Senators ( 12) so that the smaller States are treated equally and can't be overridden by the larger States. The exception is the NT and ACT each have only two Senators.

As for the USA, to me it seems that it would be more democratic if there was uniformity in every State how the Electoral College members are selected.

Regards, Gazza
        Hi Gazza,

I did not realise that you are from the land down under. While you make a valid point, I feel that we need to acknowledge that the difference in population between the five Australian States does not compare to the difference in population between, say, California and Nevada. Indeed, California could, in terms of population and economy, represent a Country in its own right. It is interesting to note that Australia and the USA have a similar land mass, but Australia has only 6 states, 2 major territories and 8 minor territories where as the USA has 50 states and 16 territories. If we look at Africa, around double the land mass of Australia and the US, but containing 54 Countries.

As for the USA, to me it seems that it would be more democratic if the Electoral College were replaced by voting system over seen by an independent electoral commission similar to the Australian system.

Cheer, George

Comment

Just a reminder, if Trump were to be re-installed in the White House and suffer a fatal heart attack ( not inconceivable for a man his age) then the POTUS would be JD Vance. I recall that George Bush Snr regarded Dan Quayle as his insurance against being assassinated, for obvious reasons. All part of the bigger idiot theory - you can always find a bigger idiot until you reach the head idiot.

Cheers, George
          Last edited by GBinOz; 08-03-2024, 02:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GBinOz View Post

Hi Lewis C,

So, Trump and.....Bush Jnr?

I find the concept that the electoral college members selected by voting can be replaced by alternative delegates selected by individuals to be far from democratic procedure. I also struggle to see the allocation of two senators from each state, regardless of population, to be incongruous with the principles of democracy.

Cheers, George
            That's right, Bush 2 (in 2000) and Trump are the 2 instances in recent years when the electoral college winner didn't win the popular vote.

The make up of Congress is a compromise, with equal representation in the Senate being what small states wanted and proportional representation in the House of Representatives being what the small states wanted. Before the revolution, each colony had its own identity, and as the Constitution was being written, the United States was more a union of states than a nation. That has evolved since then.

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
              Perhaps I should have added “and if Harris wins will Trump accept defeat gracefully?”
              That's (probably) a no, good buddy.

After the recent disaster of a public interview before the National Association of Black Journalists, in which Trump insulted the moderator, stated that he never knew Kamala Harris was Black, he'd always thought she was Indian, and then she "suddenly turned Blaaack", and his declaration that Trump himself was the "President who has done the most for Black people since Abraham Lincoln"-- well, the hour-long appearance was cut short halfway through.

Harris polls are climbing since then (up as high as 10 points in Michigan) in comparsion to Trump's. He is letting his racism out, certainly, and is possibly becoming uncontrollable.
              Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
              ---------------
              Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
              ---------------

Comment

Originally posted by Ms Diddles View Post

Thanks Caz!

We could form a Government of cat ladies (as despised by J.D. Vance)!

To be fair, I'm an Aquarian too and we are indeed above all that bollox!!

"Cat Ladies for Harris 2024" is already a visible group on social media. I myself am a proud "childless cat lady" who is supporting Harris.
                ---------------
                Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
                ---------------

Comment

Originally posted by c.d. View Post
                  Of course he will be the one to decide if it was honest.

He is already sowing the seeds. At a recent rally he stated the last election was stolen and the Democrats are planning on doing it again.

c.d.
                  Projection. The Republicans attempted to "steal the election" in 2020, and are undoubtedly planning it again.
                  ---------------
                  ---------------

Comment

Originally posted by Fiver View Post

Individual States can choose how they select members of Electoral College. In the early days, they were often selected by the state legislatures. The alternate electors scheme that Trump tried was an illegal attempt to subvert the election.
                    Hi Fiver,

As an outside observer, this is what worries me about the future of American democracy. You may judge this presentation by Anthony Davis as conspiracy theory, but I am not so sure:

Donald Trump's plot to undermine the 2024 election should he lose in November is being exposed through his ties to multiple far-right organizations. Anthony ...

Should this eventuate it will directly affect you as a US citizen, far more than what follows will affect citizens of other countries, but I don't believe that, if it does happen it could be determined as democratic. What do you think?

Cheers, George

Comment

The whole situation reminds me a little bit of 2005 (or thereabouts) when Angela Merkel became the leader of the strongest party ahead of Gerhard Schröder SDP without gaining a governable majority. In the party-leaders post election analysis Schröder was so triggered that he kept on rambling and raving like a lunatic about the result and at Merkel. Merkel herself meanwhile said almost nothing, just sat there and smiled and let Schröder self-destruct on prime time TV. 48 hours later, she had. a new coalition in the bag and became Chancellor. It was glorious.

Comment

Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post

"Cat Ladies for Harris 2024" is already a visible group on social media. I myself am a proud "childless cat lady" who is supporting Harris.
                        Indeed Pat!

I have been quite enjoying some of the "Childless Cat Ladies for Kamala" memes.

I'll be sitting up watching the election results here with a couple of other "cat ladies", a large supply of gin and of course the cats!

Like I say, I'm feeling pretty ominous about this election, but I really hope I'm wrong!

Comment

ok, Im confident enough now to say that Harris will win. she just has to keep it together and she will be over the line. Trump is flailing and running back to Fox like a baby to his mum. His VP pick is a douche-bag and so are his surrogates.

Cheers.

Comment

I have no doubt Trump has Kamala well covered and should win comfortably.
                            'It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is. It doesn't matter how smart you are . If it doesn't agree with experiment, its wrong'' . Richard Feynman

Comment

Who knows who to believe, most mainstream American media are split politically between hyping up Trump, or Harris.
                              I'm hoping for a coalition government.........one can only hope.
                              Regards, Jon S.

Comment

I watched VP pick Tim Walz speak tonight for the first time. Was not familiar with him at all prior to this. Of course it was just a campaign rally to introduce him and no real mention of policies but my initial impression is that he comes across as down to earth, folksy and likeable.

c.d.

Comment

Working...
                                X