This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post

I just meant ‘who will be President after the election… Trump or Harris?
    much more difficult question due to the vagaries of the electoral college. I prefer to deal in predictable facts, like vote counts

But I will also predict that Trump will say he won.

Comment

Originally posted by Ms Diddles View Post

There's as much chance of that as there is of me being voted President of the US in this election.
      I'd vote for you, Ms D!

I haven't voted in this one because I don't believe in opinion polls. They don't represent all those of us who don't take part.

I know, that's about as logical as saying I don't believe in astrology because we Aquarians are above all that bollox.

Love,

Caz
      X
      "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

Originally posted by Svensson View Post
        "Why would Trump support Israel when he hasn't supported anyone else?"

Because they are fighting wars against muslims which one of Trump's pet projects.
        The Kurds were fighting Muslim extremists. Trump still betrayed them. Trump betrays everyone. Why would he make an exception for Israel?
        "The full picture always needs to be given. When this does not happen, we are left to make decisions on insufficient information." - Christer Holmgren

"Unfortunately, when one becomes obsessed by a theory, truth and logic rarely matter." - Steven Blomer

Comment

Originally posted by caz View Post

I'd vote for you, Ms D!

I haven't voted in this one because I don't believe in opinion polls. They don't represent all those of us who don't take part.

I know, that's about as logical as saying I don't believe in astrology because we Aquarians are above all that bollox.

Love,

Caz
          X
          Thanks Caz!

We could form a Government of cat ladies (as despised by J.D. Vance)!

To be fair, I'm an Aquarian too and we are indeed above all that bollox!!

Comment

Originally posted by Fiver View Post
            ... Why would Trump support Israel when he hasn't supported anyone else?
            It isn't a question of 'why would?', he already does, and he hates Muslims (911?).
            Trump does understand that Israel is America's front line, as is the case for the West (Europe), but a number of European politicians are too stupid, or self centered, to realize this.
            As much as I despise Trump, the alternate is too concerning to think about.

Regards, Jon S.

Comment

much more difficult question due to the vagaries of the electoral college. I prefer to deal in predictable facts, like vote counts

But I will also predict that Trump will say he won.
              And....he said he would accept the outcome, regardless who wins....provided it was an honest election.
              Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Of course he will be the one to decide if it was honest.

He is already sowing the seeds. At a recent rally he stated the last election was stolen and the Democrats are planning on doing it again.

c.d.

Comment

Israel is different from Afghanistan in that supporting them doesn't require troop commitment, just that we supply them with weapons, which Biden is doing. I don't see much difference between Biden and Trump on Israeli policy, with the primary difference being that Biden might make a muted criticism of some of Bibi's worst excesses, while Trump is likely to be OK with anything Bibi does.

Comment

"Why would Trump support Israel when he hasn't supported anyone else?"

Because they are fighting wars against muslims which one of Trump's pet projects.
                    Building the border wall was one of Trump's pet projects. He couldn't even get the money out of a Republican majority Congress.

An infrastructure bill was one of Trump's pet projects. Trump failed. Biden delivered.

Making the US less dependent on foreign semiconductors was one of Trump's pet projects. Trump failed. Biden delivered.

Reducing drug prices was one of Trump's pet projects. Trump failed. Biden delivered.

Being a pet project of Trump's means nothing. When he even tries, he usually fails.

"The full picture always needs to be given. When this does not happen, we are left to make decisions on insufficient information." - Christer Holmgren

"Unfortunately, when one becomes obsessed by a theory, truth and logic rarely matter." - Steven Blomer

Comment

Originally posted by Wickerman View Post

And....he said he would accept the outcome, regardless who wins....provided it was an honest election.
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1720560715465.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	839041

Cheers, George
                      The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.

​Disagreeing doesn't have to be disagreeable - Jeff Hamm

Comment

Originally posted by Wickerman View Post

Hi Jon,

As a fellow outsider (from Australia) I would proffer an unbiased comment on American "democratic elections"??:

"Hysterical laughter... Electoral College....hysterical laughter.

Cheers, George
                        Last edited by GBinOz; 08-02-2024, 10:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by GBinOz View Post

Hi Jon,

As a fellow outsider (from Australia) I would proffer an unbiased comment on American "democratic elections"??:

Cheers, George
                          The whole political structure in the U.S., U.K. and many European countries is corrupt.
                          Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Hi Jon,

Cheers, George
                            Hi George,

I'm in favor of replacing the electoral college with the popular vote, but I think that it has only happened twice in about the last 130 years that the winner of the election wasn't the same person who won the popular vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Lewis C View Post

Hi George,

I'm in favor of replacing the electoral college with the popular vote, but I think that it has only happened twice in about the last 130 years that the winner of the election wasn't the same person who won the popular vote.
                              Hi Lewis C,

So, Trump and.....Bush Jnr?

I find the concept that the electoral college members selected by voting can be replaced by alternative delegates selected by individuals to be far from democratic procedure. I also struggle to see the allocation of two senators from each state, regardless of population, to be incongruous with the principles of democracy.

Cheers, George

Comment

Hi Lewis C,

So, Trump and.....Bush Jnr?

I find the concept that the electoral college members selected by voting can be replaced by alternative delegates selected by individuals to be far from democratic procedure. I also struggle to see the allocation of two senators from each state, regardless of population, to be incongruous with the principles of democracy.

Cheers, George
                                Individual States can choose how they select members of Electoral College. In the early days, they were often selected by the state legislatures. The alternate electors scheme that Trump tried was an illegal attempt to subvert the election. The two Senators per state was an attempt to balance concerns of the small states.

The US Constitution was written in the wake of the French Revolution. The Founders had a fear of mob rule and mob violence. Also, historical republics had been oligarchic republics. The US Constitution was more of a democratic republic and has reduced the oligarchic elements over time.

Comment

Working...
                                X