Situation.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Situation.

Anyone have any idea why she's doing this?? Last part happened today and I'm still baffled.

I had to leave my university accommodation over the summer on 15th June and find somewhere else while classes aren't on.

I asked a friend in my class if she knew anyone as she is quite well connected. She said she had space or if not her, her friend had space, in their respective houses. I told her how much money I make, not a lot, and gave some ballpark rent estimates. She said it (the money) wasn't for her, it was for her friend.

She gets back to me and tells me her friend's room is taken but I can stay at her house. I had a viewing of her house and agreed to rent the room she offered, which is technically her daughter's but her daughter is a grown woman and moved out a long time ago.

I took the room.

She immediately becomes very controlling as soon as I move in and there are rules that I didn't know I was breaking. She has 2 cats and unbeknownst to me they could not be in my room; she tells me this weeks after I moved in. The cats are allowed in her room, no issue. She never explained why. I am not allowed men over either, even though I am 29 this month.

She also blew up when she learned I had registered to vote and forced me to unregister to vote, so now I can't even have the option of voting. She would not allow me any mail from the doctor, the university, the bank etc. Only allowed parcels from eBay etc. She said it was disrespectful of me to register to vote without her permission. I have never ever had to ask any landlord for permission to vote.

She also gave me her bank details and asked for money. I messaged asking how much she wants, because we made no agreement. She blew up again and told me we'd made an agreement on 2nd March (see first paragraph). We made no such agreement, but I paid her what she asked for anyway.

She drew up no tenancy contract and therefore I had no clue about what I could and couldn't do in her house, nor anything about how rent would work etc.

She told me I could eat her food and then told me off for eating 2 eggs. She apologized after but I'd already seen another red flag. She portions everything for her diet and yet wouldn't label anything so I had no idea what I could or couldn't eat; I ended up buying my own food.

She would wash pots I'd already washed.

So after all this, I told a few close friends, relatives etc. and they all agreed this is horrible behaviour. I went to the uni and asked for alternative accommodation. I didn't name who I was living with but mentioned she's on my course.

They found me accommodation, but due to my landlady's prior behaviour I didn't let her know I was moving (she knew anyway). So I moved in.

I came to retrieve some of my stuff and she asked if I was moving. I said yes, I have a place. She lost her mind, started insulting me, calling me dishonest etc. I asked if we could sit with a cup of tea and talk about the situation. She just wanted to yell at me and become angry. The cleaning lady was there too and I felt uncomfortable arguing infront of her. I mentioned this. Later, the lady tried telling my landlady to calm down.

After all this the landlady asked me for this month's rent, which isn't due at all, and we have no contract.

Landlady threw me out with my bags of stuff, took my key, locked me out and 90% of my belongings are still at her house until she allows me to take them this evening.

I don't even know where to start.​
    O have you seen the devle
    with his mikerscope and scalpul
    a lookin at a Kidney
    With a slide cocked up.

Sorry you had to go through this, Tani. Clearly the woman has some mental issues. Best that you are now out of there. If you get your belongings back consider it a learning experience and move on. If she refuses to give them back tell her you will report her behavior to the University so that she is taken off any lists of landlords providing accommodations to students. As a last resort threaten legal action. Do not pay her any more rent.

Best of luck. Keep us posted.

c.d.

Comment

And if you can take a friend (preferably male) when you go to pick up your stuff so much the better. A little backup and show of force might help.

c.d.

Comment

Originally posted by c.d. View Post
        And if you can take a friend (preferably male) when you go to pick up your stuff so much the better. A little backup and show of force might help.

c.d.
        I am going with my friend, an elderly woman, as she has a car. I'm hoping it will be as quick as possible.

She's just sent me a voice note on WhatsApp accusing me of crocodile tears and such. She said I told workmen outside her house that she kicked me out. Well, what else would you call taking away one's key and not letting one back in for one's things? Theft, at least.
        a lookin at a Kidney
        With a slide cocked up.

Comment

Originally posted by Tani View Post
          Anyone have any idea why she's doing this?? Last part happened today and I'm still baffled.

I had to leave my university accommodation over the summer on 15th June and find somewhere else while classes aren't on.

I asked a friend in my class if she knew anyone as she is quite well connected. She said she had space or if not her, her friend had space, in their respective houses. I told her how much money I make, not a lot, and gave some ballpark rent estimates. She said it (the money) wasn't for her, it was for her friend.

She gets back to me and tells me her friend's room is taken but I can stay at her house. I had a viewing of her house and agreed to rent the room she offered, which is technically her daughter's but her daughter is a grown woman and moved out a long time ago.

I took the room.

She immediately becomes very controlling as soon as I move in and there are rules that I didn't know I was breaking. She has 2 cats and unbeknownst to me they could not be in my room; she tells me this weeks after I moved in. The cats are allowed in her room, no issue. She never explained why. I am not allowed men over either, even though I am 29 this month.

She also blew up when she learned I had registered to vote and forced me to unregister to vote, so now I can't even have the option of voting. She would not allow me any mail from the doctor, the university, the bank etc. Only allowed parcels from eBay etc. She said it was disrespectful of me to register to vote without her permission. I have never ever had to ask any landlord for permission to vote.

She also gave me her bank details and asked for money. I messaged asking how much she wants, because we made no agreement. She blew up again and told me we'd made an agreement on 2nd March (see first paragraph). We made no such agreement, but I paid her what she asked for anyway.

She drew up no tenancy contract and therefore I had no clue about what I could and couldn't do in her house, nor anything about how rent would work etc.

She told me I could eat her food and then told me off for eating 2 eggs. She apologized after but I'd already seen another red flag. She portions everything for her diet and yet wouldn't label anything so I had no idea what I could or couldn't eat; I ended up buying my own food.

She would wash pots I'd already washed.

So after all this, I told a few close friends, relatives etc. and they all agreed this is horrible behaviour. I went to the uni and asked for alternative accommodation. I didn't name who I was living with but mentioned she's on my course.

They found me accommodation, but due to my landlady's prior behaviour I didn't let her know I was moving (she knew anyway). So I moved in.

I came to retrieve some of my stuff and she asked if I was moving. I said yes, I have a place. She lost her mind, started insulting me, calling me dishonest etc. I asked if we could sit with a cup of tea and talk about the situation. She just wanted to yell at me and become angry. The cleaning lady was there too and I felt uncomfortable arguing infront of her. I mentioned this. Later, the lady tried telling my landlady to calm down.

After all this the landlady asked me for this month's rent, which isn't due at all, and we have no contract.

Landlady threw me out with my bags of stuff, took my key, locked me out and 90% of my belongings are still at her house until she allows me to take them this evening.

I don't even know where to start.​
          Oh, this sounds horrendous Tani!

This woman has BIG issues.

Of course you can register to vote and receive any post you like in whatever tenancy you are in.

I'm glad you escaped from this toxic situation.

I'm with c.d. here, take a friend when you collect your remaining belongings (it's always useful to have a witness) and be prepared to call the police if she tries to withhold any of your stuff.

Once you've got your stuff out of there, block her number and cease all contact, if you remain in touch she will just continue to gas-light you.

Shelter are really good for housing advice if needed.

​​​​​​​Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by c.d. View Post

c.d.
            I agree with cd and Ms Diddles.

Take a male friend with you, preferably a rugby player, or a small Glaswegian man.

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by barnflatwyngarde View Post

I agree with cd and Ms Diddles.

Take a male friend with you, preferably a rugby player, or a small Glaswegian man.

Good luck!
              My ex is a small Glaswegian man lmao. Pity he's back in Scotland.
              a lookin at a Kidney
              With a slide cocked up.

Comment

Originally posted by Ms Diddles View Post

Oh, this sounds horrendous Tani!

This woman has BIG issues.

Of course you can register to vote and receive any post you like in whatever tenancy you are in.

I'm glad you escaped from this toxic situation.

I'm with c.d. here, take a friend when you collect your remaining belongings (it's always useful to have a witness) and be prepared to call the police if she tries to withhold any of your stuff.

Once you've got your stuff out of there, block her number and cease all contact, if you remain in touch she will just continue to gas-light you.

Shelter are really good for housing advice if needed.

​​​​​​​Good luck!
                Definitely doing this. She's nuts. Pity she's on my course.
                a lookin at a Kidney
                With a slide cocked up.

Comment

Horrible situation Tani. Pay her nothing more. Take someone with you when you go there. I’d take a woman friend to record what is said and done (phone video) and a bloke (just in case) If she refuses to let you have your stuff tell her that it’s your property and you will go to the police because she has no legal right to keep it. And advise the university of this woman’s actions. She is clearly unbalanced and who knows, possibly dangerous. Basically my advice is the same as from c.d. Ms D and Barn.

If she was a bloke I’d have taken a different approach but that’s another story…

Good luck and remember two things, 1. You’ve done nothing wrong, and 2. Your safety is more important than your property.
                  Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

We're going to get my stuff.

Prayers appreciated
                    a lookin at a Kidney
                    With a slide cocked up.

Comment

Originally posted by Tani View Post
                      We're going to get my stuff.

Prayers appreciated
                      Best of luck, Tani!

Take no sh!te!

Comment

Music has dug me out of quite a few holes in my life.

This beautiful ambient album by Brian Eno might just soothe your soul.

Good luck Tani.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_nB8sOfIvYQE_NMKY5GZY84ZPzSf0 E7EDo&si=9F-mOsx8G0gR7FMA

Comment

Thanks all.

I brought some of my stuff; going back tomorrow for the rest.

She seemed rather more taken aback at this point. I think she had maybe reflected a bit.
                          Last edited by Tani; 07-03-2024, 07:49 PM.
                          a lookin at a Kidney
                          With a slide cocked up.

Comment

Glad to hear it. My next suggestion would have been to put a horse head in her bed. But best to keep that in reserve for now.

c.d.

Comment

Yeah cd, and let's not even mention the cannoli.

Seriously though Tani, I'm glad things are moving forward in a good way for you.

Comment

Working...
                              X