Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can Anyone Recommend a Good Book on the Crippen Case?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can Anyone Recommend a Good Book on the Crippen Case?

Would appreciate a recommendation. Thanks.

c.d.

I see that Hallie Rubenhold has a book on the subject out next year but I don’t know what her agenda is in writing this one. I’d suggest that Jon Menges will be your best bet for the best book on the subject c.d. I’ve read a couple but it was long ago.
    Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

I’d recommend Nicholas Connell’s book ‘Doctor Crippen’ and David James Smith’s ‘Supper with the Crippen’s’.
      I’ve got high hopes and am looking forward to Hallie’s book. It could be a really good one. Fingers crossed.

JM

Comment

Originally posted by jmenges View Post
        I’d recommend Nicholas Connell’s book ‘Doctor Crippen’ and David James Smith’s ‘Supper with the Crippen’s’.
        I’ve got high hopes and am looking forward to Hallie’s book. It could be a really good one. Fingers crossed.

JM
        Appreciate it. Thanks.

c.d.

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
          I see that Hallie Rubenhold has a book on the subject out next year but I don't know what her agenda is
          Let me hazard a guess: "Crippen was a grossly misunderstood individual, whose reputation has been unjustly tarnished by successive generations of prurient misandrists"
          Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

I haven't read it, but books published by "Pen and Sword" tend to be quality titles.

This book is fairly recent, 2021 and covers the controversy of the DNA of the corpse found in the cellar.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
              Let me hazard a guess: "Crippen was a grossly misunderstood individual, whose reputation has been unjustly tarnished by successive generations of prurient misandrists"
              Either that or Homeopathy is misunderstood and doesn't get the respect it deserves.

c.d.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
                You’re such a cynic Gareth
                Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

If the male DNA conclusion is correct (yes, a big if) it begs the question of who could it be? I am wondering, could it have been his wife's lover? Just a thought.

Incredibly interesting case.

c.d.

Comment

Originally posted by c.d. View Post
                    If the male DNA conclusion is correct (yes, a big if) it begs the question of who could it be? I am wondering, could it have been his wife's lover? Just a thought.

Incredibly interesting case.

c.d.
                    Yeah cd, or possibly the body of a woman who died as the result of a botched abortion.

As for the case itself, I agree that it's a complicated, tangled mystery.

Personally I think that Crippen was probably innocent.

Comment

In December 2009, the UK's Criminal Cases Review Commission, having reviewed the case, declared that the Court of Appeal will not hear the case to pardon Crippen posthumously​.

c.d.

Comment

John Trestrail had been crusading on behalf of Crippen’s innocence for decades until he finally found a deeply flawed forensic scientist in Dr David Foran who’s main expertise had been sea urchins and blowflies to test an undoubtedly contaminated slide and announce his findings. Which coincidentally were exactly the findings Trestrail asked him for and which have never been peer reviewed or replicated. Dr Foran was later forced to resign from Michigan State University in disgrace. I’d recommend examining the sources of the claim of Crippen’s innocence before drinking their kool-aid.

Crippen murdered his first wife by administering an overdose of hyoscine and with the help of a fellow quack doctor colleague successfully covered it up. He then murdered his second wife using the same method, buried her in his cellar, but with Ethel Le Neve as his accomplice, he failed to cover that one up.

Crippen was guilty. Case closed.

JM

Comment

Originally posted by c.d. View Post

Either that or Homeopathy is misunderstood and doesn't get the respect it deserves.
                          I don't mind homœopathy, but I can only take it in small doses
                          Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Good one, Sam. Here is a talk by the Amazing Randi on Homeopathy which you might like:

http://www.ted.com Legendary skeptic James Randi takes a fatal dose of homeopathic sleeping pills onstage, kicking off a searing 18-minute indictment of irra...

c.d.

Comment

Left a review of Supper with the Crippens in the Book Recommendations thread.

c.d.

Comment

Working...
                              X