Could AI help with discoverying JTR's identity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could AI help with discoverying JTR's identity

On my favourite arsenal blog, Andrew aka 'arseblog' has asked the AI Chat thingy which
    strikers Arsenal should buy following, er, rejecting Sekso:

"The three strikers AI Chat-PCP says we should sign"

Maybe the same approach would work for discovering JTR?

"discoverying"? Who needs AI? That's me I guess!

Comment

From ChatGPT ver 4o:

Question: Given all the information available on the Whitechapel Murders know as the Jack the Ripper murders in London 1888, can you assess all the suspects and provide who you think is Jack the Ripper?

Answer: Given the available evidence, Aaron Kosminski remains one of the most plausible suspects. The witness identification and the controversial DNA evidence, despite its disputed nature, offer some link to the crimes. Kosminski's profile fits certain aspects of the Ripper's psychological profile, such as the presumed mental instability and misogynistic tendencies.

Question: If you had to give ONE name for the question 'Who was Jack the Ripper', who would you name?

Answer: If I had to give one name for the question "Who was Jack the Ripper," I would name Aaron Kosminski. Despite the controversies and limitations of the evidence, Kosminski is one of the few suspects who was both contemporary to the crimes and had some direct albeit disputed links through witness testimony and recent DNA analysis. While this does not provide definitive proof, it makes him a more compelling suspect than others based on the currently available information.​
      JtRmap.com<< JtR Interactive Map
      JtRmap FORM << Use this form to make suggestions for map annotations
      ---------------------------------------------------
      JtR3d.com << JtR 3D & #VR Website

Comment

Using AI LLM Claude...

If I had to give one name in response to the question "Who was Jack the Ripper?", based on the available evidence and contemporary police suspicions, I would name:

Aaron Kosminski

However, I must strongly emphasize that this is speculative and not a definitive answer. The true identity of Jack the Ripper remains unknown, and there is no conclusive proof that Kosminski or any other suspect was indeed the killer. This choice is based on a combination of factors including his being named as a suspect by police officials at the time and more recent (though controversial) DNA evidence. But many other suspects have their proponents, and it's entirely possible the real killer is not among the commonly discussed suspects.

Comment

Using Gemini ai...

Even though I can't definitively point fingers in unsolved cases, given the ongoing debate and lack of consensus, I understand you'd like my take on the Jack the Ripper mystery. Here, considering the available information and the discussions around the suspects, Aaron Kosminski is a compelling possibility.

Recent DNA analysis on a shawl linked to a victim does point towards him. However, it's important to remember that this evidence is not universally accepted, and some experts raise concerns about contamination or the possibility of the shawl not belonging to the victim.

Therefore, while Kosminski is a strong contender, it's not a slam dunk. The Jack the Ripper mystery remains open for further investigation and discussion.

Comment

Thanks Richard for giving it a go. I haven't used AI except for a couple of goes with AI text rewriting, so I am totally out of my depth with the technology at the moment.

LLM Claude concurs the closest to my views, especially the last point "it's entirely possible the real killer is not among the commonly discussed suspects."

Last edited by mpriestnall; 06-13-2024, 11:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by richardh View Post
              From ChatGPT ver 4o:

Question: Given all the information available on the Whitechapel Murders know as the Jack the Ripper murders in London 1888, can you assess all the suspects and provide who you think is Jack the Ripper?

Answer: Given the available evidence, Aaron Kosminski remains one of the most plausible suspects. The witness identification and the controversial DNA evidence, despite its disputed nature, offer some link to the crimes. Kosminski's profile fits certain aspects of the Ripper's psychological profile, such as the presumed mental instability and misogynistic tendencies.

Question: If you had to give ONE name for the question 'Who was Jack the Ripper', who would you name?

Answer: If I had to give one name for the question "Who was Jack the Ripper," I would name Aaron Kosminski. Despite the controversies and limitations of the evidence, Kosminski is one of the few suspects who was both contemporary to the crimes and had some direct albeit disputed links through witness testimony and recent DNA analysis. While this does not provide definitive proof, it makes him a more compelling suspect than others based on the currently available information.​

Agree completely !!!!

The Baron

Comment

Watch it come back with 42 as the answer. (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy if you don't get the joke.)

c.d.

Comment

I would ask AI the question...

"If Kosminski was proved innocent of the murders committed by Jack the Ripper; who would be the most likeliest remaining suspect based on the known and circumstantial evidence?"

Then we can see how much the AI really can assess the data.

RD
                  "Great minds, don't think alike"

Comment

Originally posted by The Rookie Detective View Post
                    I would ask AI the question...
                    "If Kosminski was proved innocent of the murders committed by Jack the Ripper; who would be the most likeliest remaining suspect based on the known and circumstantial evidence?"
                    If Aaron Kosminski were conclusively proven innocent of the murders attributed to Jack the Ripper, several other suspects would remain in consideration based on the known and circumstantial evidence. The Ripper case has spawned numerous theories, and several individuals have been proposed as possible suspects over the years. Here are a few of the most notable ones:
                    1. Montague John Druitt: A barrister and schoolteacher, Druitt's suicide in December 1888, shortly after the last canonical Ripper murder, has led some to suggest he might have been the killer. His disappearance coincides with the end of the murders, and some contemporary police officials believed he was the culprit.
                    2. George Chapman (Severin Klosowski): Chapman was a Polish immigrant and a convicted serial killer who poisoned three of his wives. His violent history and presence in London during the Ripper murders have led some to suspect him. However, the method of killing (poisoning) was different from the Ripper's modus operandi.
                    3. Thomas Cutbush: He was a medical student with a history of mental illness and violent behaviour. Cutbush was confined to an asylum in 1891, and some believe he could have been the Ripper, as the murders ceased around the time of his incarceration.
                    4. James Maybrick: A Liverpool cotton merchant whose alleged diary, discovered in the 1990s, contained confessions to the Ripper murders. The diary's authenticity is highly disputed, but it has kept Maybrick in the suspect pool.
                    5. Joseph Barnett: He lived with Mary Jane Kelly, the last canonical victim, and was one of the last people to see her alive. Some theories suggest a domestic motive, although there is limited evidence to support this.
                    6. Walter Sickert: A famous artist who some modern researchers, notably crime novelist Patricia Cornwell, have implicated. Cornwell's theory is based on Sickert's paintings and alleged DNA evidence, though many experts dispute her conclusions.
                    7. Francis Tumblety: An American quack doctor who was in London at the time of the murders and exhibited strong misogynistic tendencies. He was arrested for unrelated charges and fled to the United States, sparking some suspicion.
                    8. Michael Ostrog: A Russian criminal and con artist who was suggested as a suspect by the Macnaghten Memoranda, but there is no substantial evidence linking him to the murders.

Each of these suspects has varying degrees of supporting evidence and plausibility, but no definitive proof has been found to conclusively identify any of them as Jack the Ripper. The case remains one of the most enduring mysteries in criminal history.

Comment

Originally posted by Geddy2112 View Post

If Aaron Kosminski were conclusively proven innocent of the murders attributed to Jack the Ripper, several other suspects would remain in consideration based on the known and circumstantial evidence. The Ripper case has spawned numerous theories, and several individuals have been proposed as possible suspects over the years. Here are a few of the most notable ones:
                      1. Montague John Druitt: A barrister and schoolteacher, Druitt's suicide in December 1888, shortly after the last canonical Ripper murder, has led some to suggest he might have been the killer. His disappearance coincides with the end of the murders, and some contemporary police officials believed he was the culprit.
                      2. George Chapman (Severin Klosowski): Chapman was a Polish immigrant and a convicted serial killer who poisoned three of his wives. His violent history and presence in London during the Ripper murders have led some to suspect him. However, the method of killing (poisoning) was different from the Ripper's modus operandi.
                      3. Thomas Cutbush: He was a medical student with a history of mental illness and violent behaviour. Cutbush was confined to an asylum in 1891, and some believe he could have been the Ripper, as the murders ceased around the time of his incarceration.
                      4. James Maybrick: A Liverpool cotton merchant whose alleged diary, discovered in the 1990s, contained confessions to the Ripper murders. The diary's authenticity is highly disputed, but it has kept Maybrick in the suspect pool.
                      5. Joseph Barnett: He lived with Mary Jane Kelly, the last canonical victim, and was one of the last people to see her alive. Some theories suggest a domestic motive, although there is limited evidence to support this.
                      6. Walter Sickert: A famous artist who some modern researchers, notably crime novelist Patricia Cornwell, have implicated. Cornwell's theory is based on Sickert's paintings and alleged DNA evidence, though many experts dispute her conclusions.
                      7. Francis Tumblety: An American quack doctor who was in London at the time of the murders and exhibited strong misogynistic tendencies. He was arrested for unrelated charges and fled to the United States, sparking some suspicion.
                      8. Michael Ostrog: A Russian criminal and con artist who was suggested as a suspect by the Macnaghten Memoranda, but there is no substantial evidence linking him to the murders.

Each of these suspects has varying degrees of supporting evidence and plausibility, but no definitive proof has been found to conclusively identify any of them as Jack the Ripper. The case remains one of the most enduring mysteries in criminal history.
                      Interestingly at least 7 or the 8 names listed above are 100% innocent of the Ripper crimes.

It's also interesting that there is no mention of either Bury or Kelly who are highly rated candidates for the Ripper crimes.

What we must all remember is that AI code is written by humans and thus devoid of objective impartiality; regardless of how "advanced' the tech is.

Until the day that AI reaches complete autonomy, then the opinions submitted by the AI system are nothing more than bias opinions implanted into the code by...human beings.

RD
                      "Great minds, don't think alike"

Comment

Gratuitous YT link to my favourite H2G2 scene: It isn't Easy Being a Cop!

Comment

The short answer is No, AI will not help discovering JtR's discovery becasue AI will need t otrain itself on the available data available on the subject and there are too many, how shall I phrase it...., "pollutants" already out there.

#mytwocents

Comment

I note that every time the AI says "Kosminski", it mentions the DNA evidence, which it grants is not conclusive, but I would go further and say it's pretty much worthless. I think that the shawl most likely didn't belong to Eddowes, the test given can only eliminate a suspect not identify one, and it has had over 100 years to be handled and contaminated. So a follow up question for the AI could be something like, "if the shawl given the DNA test is proven to have not belonged to Eddowes, who is the strongest Jack the Ripper suspect?"

Comment

Originally posted by Lewis C View Post
                              I think that the shawl most likely didn't belong to Eddowes
                              My good lady is one of those textiles 'experts' and she claims for it to have belonged to Eddowes she would have had to live for another 30 or so years. It's not Victorian.

Comment

Working...
                              X