Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greetings from Ireland!

Hi everyone,
    I'm a new member, so I thought I'd introduce myself. I live in Ireland and I hope to go over to London this year to take a tour of Whitechapel, as it's something I've wanted to do for years. I have been interested in Jack the Ripper and the Whitechapel murders for a long time, but I have recently decided to turn my interest into a hobby. I don't have any concrete theories around who Jack was, but I have a gut feeling that Jack was a local lad, that lived near the scene of the first canonical murder, and that he moved his kill zone for the other murders to avoid drawing attention to himself. But that's only a feeling I have.
    For the moment I am just familiarising myself with the actual accounts of the murders and so on and I have started with buying the book "The Complete History of Jack the Ripper" by Philip Sugden, as it seems to be highly regarded. I'm looking forward to burying myself in it over the next few evenings.
    I'm looking forward to getting to know some of you better and learning from you.
    Talk soon,
    Gareth.

Hi Gareth and welcome

Yes the Sugden book is a good choice. I hope you enjoy being on the boards.

Comment

welcome

Hello Gareth. Welcome to the boards.

Good luck with your research.

Cheers.
      LC

Comment

Welcome to the boards Gareth.

The people on this board are the most intelligent bunch I've ever seen, any boards, anywhere. They are a sharp bunch.

Enjoy your trip!

Comment

G'day Gareth

Welcome.

You will learn a lot here, and don't be put off when some posts get heated.

Hope you enjoy your hobby, a good book to start with and an A-Z is almost essential.
          G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Hi there! I hope you'll enjoy yourself here.
            - Ginger

Comment

Hi Gareth and a very warm welcome

Yes the Sugden book is a very good start indeed...if, when you finish it, you feel like a re-examination of the same evidence in a slightly different sort of format, you might consider CSI Whitechapel by Messrs Begg and Bennett...it's beautifully illustrated and gives a real feel for the area and the age...

Whether or not you read CSI at that stage, if you do decide to stick with the case, then I think there's one totally essential purchase - and that's "The Ultimate Jack the Ripper Sourcebook" by Stewart Evans ("The Man" in ripperology, and a contributor to these boards) and Keith Skinner. This book isn't so much a read-through of the case, but a work of reference thoroughly detailing every known remaining police or Home Office file on the subject...

I couldn't begin to praise this book enough...when you come across folk, (in books, films, on tours, or on here for that matter), asserting that this, that or the other is the case, you can confidently dive into the Sourcebook, knowing that, if it's backed up by evidence, (rather than press speculation), then it's within...

Anyway, every good wish to you, and I hope you'll derive as much pleasure from the sites you've joined as I have!

All the best

Dave

Comment

Yes can't recommend "The Sourcebook" strongly enough.
                G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Hi Gareth and a big welcome from me source book is indeed excellent as is Mr sugdens book I would recommend you check out richard Whittington Egans definitive casebook .
                  Three things in life that don't stay hidden for to long ones the sun ones the moon and the other is the truth

Comment

Welcome Gareth - I hope you enjoy.
                    This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

Welcome

Hi Gareth and welcome Sugden is a great start, I'm new here myself, I found "The Complete Jack the Ripper A to Z" by Paul Begg, Martin Fido and Keith Skinner also an invaluable resource.

I am waiting for Amazon to deliver "The Ultimate Jack the Ripper Sourcebook: An Illustrated Encyclopedia" by Stewart Evans and Keith Skinner.

Comment

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone!
                        I've taken a note of the reference books you recommend and I think my next purchase will be the sourcebook.
                        Thanks again,
                        Gareth.

Comment

ultimate

Hello Gareth. Most definitely.

Cheers.
                          LC

Comment

It's one big happy family on here no one ever disagrees and no one ever argues.
                            Three things in life that don't stay hidden for to long ones the sun ones the moon and the other is the truth

Comment

Working...
                            X