No announcement yet.

Still Unsolved after 60 years? Starved Rock Murders and Chester Weger's defense

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Still Unsolved after 60 years? Starved Rock Murders and Chester Weger's defense

Fellow detectives, ripperologists and ordinary sleuths: There is one case that may be of interest to you and has been quite at the forefront of media here in the States. I am a resident near the Illinois state park where 3 murders took place in 1960. A brief synopsis: In 1960, Chester Weger was a 21 year old working in the kitchen at the Starved Rock Lodge. He was charged with the murder of one of three murdered women found bound and bludgeoned to death at a secluded part of a canyon trail - all women were found underneath a stone canopy overhang in the park. Weger confessed to the crimes, supposedly under pressure to do so. He even led investigators through the enactment of how the murders happened. Being poor, many had accepted the final act as a botched robbery attempt gone awry and out of control. Charges against Weger were brought forth for only one of the victims - obviously the charge with the strongest evidence and implication. He was found guilty and sentenced to life imprisonment. What brings this to its culmination today, Chester Weger was released from prison recently; being the longest-serving inmate in Illinois history. For decades a shroud of doubt has been cast upon whether he is in fact guilty.

However, prior to his conviction and all throughout his 60 years of imprisonment, and now his release, he has fully and completely recanted his testimony. There is much controversy here and the case is being heard with a motion to be reopened and overturned due to a hair DNA of "one of four brothers" that was found on one of the gloves of the victims. Old evidence that was not released during the initial trial. It's an ongoing, totally botched case and rather highly questionable case all around the more you read about it - worth your time if you are interested in delving into something of interest.

Questions that come to my mind? Could a small man of 5'4" overpower three women? Providing a re-enactment at the scene - is that not enough in itself of self-confession? Should a hair found on the glove of a victim prove that Weger did not commit the crimes? I have my own thoughts, but will leave the rest to your expertise. There are numerous books, news specials and even HBO and others have national media regarding the Starved Rock Murders. In any event; a case still left unsolved perhaps - perhaps not.

Illinois History and Horror: Chester Weger and the 1960 murders of three Chicago women at Illinois' Starved Rock State Park
    Last edited by Filby; 04-01-2024, 07:38 PM. Reason: adding link

Thanks for posting this Filby. I’ve just spent an hour reading the linked article plus 4 or 5 others online. It’s seems like a fascinating case and one that needs a lot of looking into to form a real opinion. It’s certainly looks like there’s much room for doubt as to his guilt though although it’s always difficult to dismiss a confession unless there’s proof of coercion (and not just an assertion). I’m not on Facebook but it looks like there’s a Facebook Friends of.. site that anyone can access. If I get time I’d like to have a look at what’s on there.
    Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Originally posted by Filby View Post
      Fellow detectives, ripperologists and ordinary sleuths: There is one case that may be of interest to you and has been quite at the forefront of media here in the States. I am a resident near the Illinois state park where 3 murders took place in 1960. A brief synopsis: In 1960, Chester Weger was a 21 year old working in the kitchen at the Starved Rock Lodge. He was charged with the murder of one of three murdered women found bound and bludgeoned to death at a secluded part of a canyon trail - all women were found underneath a stone canopy overhang in the park. Weger confessed to the crimes, supposedly under pressure to do so. He even led investigators through the enactment of how the murders happened. Being poor, many had accepted the final act as a botched robbery attempt gone awry and out of control. Charges against Weger were brought forth for only one of the victims - obviously the charge with the strongest evidence and implication. He was found guilty and sentenced to life imprisonment. What brings this to its culmination today, Chester Weger was released from prison recently; being the longest-serving inmate in Illinois history. For decades a shroud of doubt has been cast upon whether he is in fact guilty.

However, prior to his conviction and all throughout his 60 years of imprisonment, and now his release, he has fully and completely recanted his testimony. There is much controversy here and the case is being heard with a motion to be reopened and overturned due to a hair DNA of "one of four brothers" that was found on one of the gloves of the victims. Old evidence that was not released during the initial trial. It's an ongoing, totally botched case and rather highly questionable case all around the more you read about it - worth your time if you are interested in delving into something of interest.

Questions that come to my mind? Could a small man of 5'4" overpower three women? Providing a re-enactment at the scene - is that not enough in itself of self-confession? Should a hair found on the glove of a victim prove that Weger did not commit the crimes? I have my own thoughts, but will leave the rest to your expertise. There are numerous books, news specials and even HBO and others have national media regarding the Starved Rock Murders. In any event; a case still left unsolved perhaps - perhaps not.

https://www.americanhauntingsink.com...d-rock-murders
      no mystery for me. he did it.
      the two types of twine used in the murders were found in the lodge where he worked.
      the twine linked him to a similar crime earlier and the female victim ided him.
      co workers said he had scratches on his face the day after the murders, and he admitted it but said they were caused by shaving. yeah right.
      he had blood on his clothes.
      he confessed to it and even gave a demonstration at the scene. he said he hid the bodies when he saw a small plane overhead. the plane was independently confirmed.
      he failed lie detector test.
      he was convicted in a court of law.

theres more, but who cares. he did it. im just sad he got out.

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post

no mystery for me. he did it.
        the two types of twine used in the murders were found in the lodge where he worked.
        the twine linked him to a similar crime earlier and the female victim ided him.
        co workers said he had scratches on his face the day after the murders, and he admitted it but said they were caused by shaving. yeah right.
        he had blood on his clothes.
        he confessed to it and even gave a demonstration at the scene. he said he hid the bodies when he saw a small plane overhead. the plane was independently confirmed.
        he failed lie detector test.
        he was convicted in a court of law.

theres more, but who cares. he did it. im just sad he got out.
        Hi Abby: Yes, I'm with you generally speaking. From what I understand, and just to show how "botched" this case was; the prosecution sought life without parole - how they mixed that up at sentencing is beyond me. There's a lot of indication that the plane "confirmation" was not accurate. Speculation now of a band of brothers supposedly at the scene. It goes on and on. My guess, and I may be entirely wrong, perhaps Weger is worried about getting charged for the other two murders since there is no statute for murder?

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
          Thanks for posting this Filby. I’ve just spent an hour reading the linked article plus 4 or 5 others online. It’s seems like a fascinating case and one that needs a lot of looking into to form a real opinion. It’s certainly looks like there’s much room for doubt as to his guilt though although it’s always difficult to dismiss a confession unless there’s proof of coercion (and not just an assertion). I’m not on Facebook but it looks like there’s a Facebook Friends of.. site that anyone can access. If I get time I’d like to have a look at what’s on there.
          Would very much look forward to your input on this.

Comment

I had another look at the main article and it certainly doesn’t look good for Weger as Abby has said. One of the things that make me wonder is that there is such a concerted effort by so many to clear his name and so, without reading any of the case that they make yet, I’m wondering if there are facts/interpretations that we aren’t aware of or have they got carried away with a cause?

It’s easy to come up with scenarios of course but I accept that the two types of twine appears damning but I do wonder how they came to the conclusion that the 2 types of twine were from the exact same source (the lodge kitchen) Surely two types of that twine could have come from elsewhere as the lodge wouldn’t have been the only place using them? I’m wondering though if it might be significant that the three were killed so soon after arriving and having a meal? Because of the twine Warren said that the killer either worked at, or had access too, the lodge but Weger wasn’t working at the park at the time. Would a former worker just be able to stroll in or could it point to the involvement of someone else working at the park? (Or did Weger take some twine for other reasons while he worked at the park and still had it in his possession?)

Then when Oetting called the lodge on the Tuesday morning he was told that the three women had been seen at breakfast and were out. A simple mistake? Very probably but maybe not. Then of course there’s the question of how one man could have killed three women without them fighting to stop him - the killer may have had a gun to control them of course. Then again, with some kind of club would it have been that difficult? Hit one and she’s immediately unconscious, if the other two try to run they’re not going to be moving quickly or going far on that terrain so a blow to the back or side of the head…I don’t think that it would have been that difficult.

No evidence of robbery or rape but they were clearly in a sexual position. It’s been suggested that they might have been killed to order (although I don’t know the background) could it be that the killer positioned them just to make it look sexual or as a further mark of disrespect? Pushing it maybe. The likeliest is that it was sexual…but maybe not.

The plane seems pretty damning on the face of it though. Weger said that the police came up with it but it’s difficult to imagine a police officer thinking ‘ how can I incriminate this guy? I know, I’ll find out if a plane passed over at the time and claim that he mentioned it.’ Hard to explain without knowing more.

On the other side though the hair seems important. Pulled from Francis Murphy’s head the DNA appears to match one of four local brothers and as the three women weren’t local and had only arrived that day it’s difficult to see how this hair could have come from anyone other than someone involved. This appears to be strong evidence in Weger’s favour especially as it had been pulled out rather than simply transferred.

Questions

When Warren was polygraphing lodge employees why did Dummett bring in Weger who wasn’t an employee at the time?

Did Weger actually still have access to lodge after he’d left?

Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Weger's backstory as reported in various local newspapers certainly sounds ominous. An alleged attempted rape of an 8 year old girl when he was 12. Then the later rape allegation of a teenage girl when he was 19 in 1959. Add to that his change in alibi- he initially said he was having a haircut at the presumed time of the murders then later later thought he was writing letters in a room at the Lodge- and it doesn't look good. That's before we consider the scratches on his face.

But I can see why there remains doubt about his involvement. I can't find any record of the earlier rape allegations resulting in a trial which seems odd given his being identified by the girl in 1959. The twine evidence of the Lodge killings relies to some extent on the connection to the earlier alleged rape. The claim about the uniqueness of the twine (initially police said it was a very common type) came from a private Chicago laboratory and was never tested in court. And there is no direct forensic evidence to tie Weger to the crime. His temporary confession, under threat of the electric chair following lengthy interrogation without counsel, proves precious little.

Local opinion regarding Weger's guilt seems to have been divided from the outset. Wild theories about a mafia hit rely upon deathbed confessions and in one case a telephone call overheard by a nosy telephonist. More interesting are those suggesting the guilty party might have been the Lodge owner's son who had earned a bad reputation amongst some female staff. This individual was reported to have pointed the finger at Weger when questioned by police and clearly would have access to the kitchen at the Lodge. He later committed suicide many years later. He also owned an aggressive dog and it has been speculated that this creature might have helped subdue the three women- paw prints were allegedly found in the snow outside the cave.

Bloodstains outside the cave entrance indicate that the women were attacked there but it does not seem clear whether they were actually killed at that spot or inside. Holding three adult women at gunpoint would be possible, however tying all three up with twine as well seems a tall order for one pair of hands.

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
                I had another look at the main article and it certainly doesn’t look good for Weger as Abby has said. One of the things that make me wonder is that there is such a concerted effort by so many to clear his name and so, without reading any of the case that they make yet, I’m wondering if there are facts/interpretations that we aren’t aware of or have they got carried away with a cause?

It’s easy to come up with scenarios of course but I accept that the two types of twine appears damning but I do wonder how they came to the conclusion that the 2 types of twine were from the exact same source (the lodge kitchen) Surely two types of that twine could have come from elsewhere as the lodge wouldn’t have been the only place using them? I’m wondering though if it might be significant that the three were killed so soon after arriving and having a meal? Because of the twine Warren said that the killer either worked at, or had access too, the lodge but Weger wasn’t working at the park at the time. Would a former worker just be able to stroll in or could it point to the involvement of someone else working at the park? (Or did Weger take some twine for other reasons while he worked at the park and still had it in his possession?)

Then when Oetting called the lodge on the Tuesday morning he was told that the three women had been seen at breakfast and were out. A simple mistake? Very probably but maybe not. Then of course there’s the question of how one man could have killed three women without them fighting to stop him - the killer may have had a gun to control them of course. Then again, with some kind of club would it have been that difficult? Hit one and she’s immediately unconscious, if the other two try to run they’re not going to be moving quickly or going far on that terrain so a blow to the back or side of the head…I don’t think that it would have been that difficult.

No evidence of robbery or rape but they were clearly in a sexual position. It’s been suggested that they might have been killed to order (although I don’t know the background) could it be that the killer positioned them just to make it look sexual or as a further mark of disrespect? Pushing it maybe. The likeliest is that it was sexual…but maybe not.

The plane seems pretty damning on the face of it though. Weger said that the police came up with it but it’s difficult to imagine a police officer thinking ‘ how can I incriminate this guy? I know, I’ll find out if a plane passed over at the time and claim that he mentioned it.’ Hard to explain without knowing more.

On the other side though the hair seems important. Pulled from Francis Murphy’s head the DNA appears to match one of four local brothers and as the three women weren’t local and had only arrived that day it’s difficult to see how this hair could have come from anyone other than someone involved. This appears to be strong evidence in Weger’s favour especially as it had been pulled out rather than simply transferred.

Questions

When Warren was polygraphing lodge employees why did Dummett bring in Weger who wasn’t an employee at the time?

Did Weger actually still have access to lodge after he’d left?

Agree and thank you for your input. There's not much information on the prosecuting attorneys and how they are responding to this "new evidence" either. Still, does a hair from another person indicate someone was not there. Being at a lodge, couldn't she have picked it up elsewhere? I don't know, there's so much polluted and convoluted testimony and heresay about this case. I did manage to get, what I believe is, a copy of the transcribed details of his re-enactment. I'm not sure it's from a legit source since it was just a few manually typed pages, copies and posted. But if so, what detail he went into to the point of "you can't make that stuff up."

Comment

Here is a link to what claims to be his re-enactment confession. I cannot find a legit source from this other than something from SquareSpace? Here's the link if Casebook allows it:

Comment

It's not just one hair: it's an established fact that two types of hair were retrieved from the victims' gloves. This was before the days of DNA. Which obviously points to more than one assailant. Despite the hyper claims of Weger's attorney (an unpleasant man to my ear) this does not make him innocent, but it does throw great doubt on Weger's involvement in the crime.

Weger's alleged link to the earlier rape in 1959 was reported but not apparently followed thorough. The female victim only identified Weger after he had been arrested for the Lodge murders and when his photo had appeared in the media. Her evidence has to be seen in this context. Her boyfriend later confirmed Weger's ID. None of this made it to court.

The aircraft evidence is highly suspect as evidence. Weger's confession claimed he dragged the bodies into the cave in order that they could not be seen from the air, but this would have taken some time since the entrance to the cave was a five foot clamber up a stony incline. By the time he had done this Wewger would have been out of breath. One of the investigators was a member of the aeroplane club and would have acquired knowledge of flights well before Weger was charged six months later. I don't buy it myself.

The three victims were all from the higher echelons of Illinois society and were presumably confident in themselves individually, never mind as a trio. One of their husbands was a district attorney. These were not women to be easily cowed so I imagine that some altercation broke out, in or near the cave, in which the women made very clear their social position and contempt for what was before them. What happened after that we can but imagine.

That explains, to some extent, the desire to humiliate the victims as some perverted form of revenge. The sexual display of the victims is clearly an after thought. Weger fits the bill for that type of resentment I concede but he falls well short on the basis of his previous indiscretions. There were 36 juvenile delinquents in a reformatory camp assigned to maintaining the Lodge premises close to the cave at that time. A group of six actually found the three dead women.

Comment

Originally posted by cobalt View Post
                      It's not just one hair: it's an established fact that two types of hair were retrieved from the victims' gloves. This was before the days of DNA. Which obviously points to more than one assailant. Despite the hyper claims of Weger's attorney (an unpleasant man to my ear) this does not make him innocent, but it does throw great doubt on Weger's involvement in the crime.

Weger's alleged link to the earlier rape in 1959 was reported but not apparently followed thorough. The female victim only identified Weger after he had been arrested for the Lodge murders and when his photo had appeared in the media. Her evidence has to be seen in this context. Her boyfriend later confirmed Weger's ID. None of this made it to court.

The aircraft evidence is highly suspect as evidence. Weger's confession claimed he dragged the bodies into the cave in order that they could not be seen from the air, but this would have taken some time since the entrance to the cave was a five foot clamber up a stony incline. By the time he had done this Wewger would have been out of breath. One of the investigators was a member of the aeroplane club and would have acquired knowledge of flights well before Weger was charged six months later. I don't buy it myself.

The three victims were all from the higher echelons of Illinois society and were presumably confident in themselves individually, never mind as a trio. One of their husbands was a district attorney. These were not women to be easily cowed so I imagine that some altercation broke out, in or near the cave, in which the women made very clear their social position and contempt for what was before them. What happened after that we can but imagine.

That explains, to some extent, the desire to humiliate the victims as some perverted form of revenge. The sexual display of the victims is clearly an after thought. Weger fits the bill for that type of resentment I concede but he falls well short on the basis of his previous indiscretions. There were 36 juvenile delinquents in a reformatory camp assigned to maintaining the Lodge premises close to the cave at that time. A group of six actually found the three dead women.
                      I need to review the facts too but for years I have thought without a doubt he is guilty.

Comment

Working...
                      X