Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For the 503rd time...some person thinks THEY'VE solved the case!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For the 503rd time...some person thinks THEY'VE solved the case!

Regarding the novel "The Landlady". The identity of Jack the Ripper has been held by my family since 1876, as told by JTR's landlady, who had a boarding house in London. The novel is currently in the writing stage. However, I am responding to some of the lines of enquiry to get everyone thinking along some new lines. It's a fascinating story, but the case will close with the book release.

Originally posted by Marilyn View Post
    Regarding the novel "The Landlady". The identity of Jack the Ripper has been held by my family since 1876, as told by JTR's landlady, who had a boarding house in London. The novel is currently in the writing stage. However, I am responding to some of the lines of enquiry to get everyone thinking along some new lines. It's a fascinating story, but the case will close with the book release.
    You might want to edit your novel given that the JtR murders happened in 1888, so it seems difficult to reconcile that with the idea that his identity has been in your family since 1876.

- Jeff

Comment

Why present a ‘solution’ to the case in a fictional work?
      Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
        Why present a ‘solution’ to the case in a fictional work?
        Why not? Haven't the majority of solutions been found in fictional works?

- Jeff

Comment

Naive Jeff believes he/she /they began his/her/their spree of killings in 1888, yet it was in 1876 that his landlady first became aware of his/her/their heinous deeds. This narrative will unfold as a creative non-fiction endeavour, with a substantial portion of the text underpinned by factual evidence. Though not pivotal to the central plot, peripheral characters will be introduced to enrich...

As a psychologist, I initially contemplated presenting this tale through the lens of a scientific study. However, where lies the excitement in such a systematic approach Jeff? Instead, I opted for a hybrid, where the weaving of imagination and reality has rendered the journey thus far all the more intriguing. I'm considering handing it to News Corp. Mmm, I'm not sure they deserve it.

Oh I added an Avatar! Do you like it? You can call me Ginger Beer - Although that's cockney for "Queer" Jeff, which I'm sure you all know and I'm not.
          Last edited by Marilyn; 03-25-2024, 12:24 PM.

Comment

Oh I added an Avatar! Do you like it?

I like your Avatar

The Baron

Comment

Doesn't it make you glad to be alive at this moment in time.
              I was here when Kennedy was assassinated, when man first landed on the Moon, when the Twin Towers were brought down, but those pale into insignificance when compared to some newbie who shows up at Casebook with a claim to know who Jack the Ripper was, how novel is this.
              Be still my heart....
              Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Naive Jeff believes he/she /they began his/her/their spree of killings in 1888, yet it was in 1876 that his landlady first became aware of his/her/their heinous deeds. This narrative will unfold as a creative non-fiction endeavour, with a substantial portion of the text underpinned by factual evidence. Though not pivotal to the central plot, peripheral characters will be introduced to enrich...

As a psychologist, I initially contemplated presenting this tale through the lens of a scientific study. However, where lies the excitement in such a systematic approach Jeff? Instead, I opted for a hybrid, where the weaving of imagination and reality has rendered the journey thus far all the more intriguing. I'm considering handing it to News Corp. Mmm, I'm not sure they deserve it.

Oh I added an Avatar! Do you like it? You can call me Ginger Beer - Although that's cockney for "Queer" Jeff, which I'm sure you all know and I'm not.
                your avatar is hot! : )

Comment

Ah yes, the JtR was killing for over a decade approach. Interestingly, nobody noticed a string of mutilated corpses popping up around town until 1888. I suppose the explanation will run the line of "... he had an entirely different approach to murder, which was completely unremarkable, resulting in no connection being made by the police and/or public". Of course, Landlady Sheila Holmes, was onto him nonetheless. Oddly, she makes no attempt to inform the police of his murderous spree at any point over the dozen years that she is aware of his killing habits, failing even to alert the police in 1888 when his murders are all over the papers.

I can see why you have chosen to take the approach of "...the weaving of imagination and reality...".

Anyway, good luck with your novel. It has the potential to be a good yarn, but I don't think Casebook will be shutting down any time soon.

- Jeff

Comment

The beauty of a fictional, factual story is when something is proved incorrect, one can simply say, that was a fictional part.

If you are serious, and I hope you are, when the book is released could you post a list of the factual content in it?
                    Thus enabling serious research.
                    dustymiller
                    aka drstrange

Comment

Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
                      Doesn't it make you glad to be alive at this moment in time.
                      I was here when Kennedy was assassinated, when man first landed on the Moon, when the Twin Towers were brought down, but those pale into insignificance when compared to some newbie who shows up at Casebook with a claim to know who Jack the Ripper was, how novel is this.
                      Be still my heart....
                      Wicks, exactly where were you when Kennedy was assassinated? Just asking.

Comment

As my old Latin teacher used to say "Hoc sonat testiculi perfecti ab insano
                        fictor​"

Comment

Jeffham!! The city didn't just record a few deaths over one period! He wasn't in London. This is why the casebook sits stagnant.
                          Dr Strange - Well, "Karl Marx" who is family will be factual, and the bits that read, "In the dimly lit confines of her small workshop, Dr Strange's rhythmic hum of her sewing machine after a night of whispered exchanges and furtive glances in the Tens Bell...." won't be, given that minor details aren't usually communicated down the pipeline as comparatively significant.
                          Either way, I'm not about to shake your bladder bags any more than I need to. It could have been fun! It's in the hands of Harper Collins now, anyway...or should I say "anyWHO" as it seems to be here.
                          Fantomas, keep hold of your testicles, as knowledge of nursery rhymes is more beneficial than Latin.
                          I'm so disappointed! This is like an evening with my father, and I wanted to have some fun academic evenings with interested parties that wanted to assist me with the 'real' digging. The research beyond the research that's a little harder to find. I have time. Do you?

Comment

Originally posted by Fantomas View Post
                            As my old Latin teacher used to say "Hoc sonat testiculi perfecti ab insano
                            fictor​"
                            Solus lunatici scripsit latine et atramento rubro - Rubia tinctorum {Madder Red Dye}
                            Last edited by Marilyn; 03-27-2024, 04:03 PM. Reason: Red root sounded sexual in Latin and I didn't want to give him the wrong idea

Comment

Jeffham!! The city didn't just record a few deaths over one period! He wasn't in London. This is why the casebook sits stagnant.
                              Dr Strange - Well, "Karl Marx" who is family will be factual, and the bits that read, "In the dimly lit confines of her small workshop, Dr Strange's rhythmic hum of her sewing machine after a night of whispered exchanges and furtive glances in the Tens Bell...." won't be, given that minor details aren't usually communicated down the pipeline as comparatively significant.
                              Either way, I'm not about to shake your bladder bags any more than I need to. It could have been fun! It's in the hands of Harper Collins now, anyway...or should I say "anyWHO" as it seems to be here.
                              Fantomas, keep hold of your testicles, as knowledge of nursery rhymes is more beneficial than Latin.
                              I'm so disappointed! This is like an evening with my father, and I wanted to have some fun academic evenings with interested parties that wanted to assist me with the 'real' digging. The research beyond the research that's a little harder to find. I have time. Do you?

"Within the pages of a novel, a character with only one line may fade into fiction's ether. It's those with depth, those who breathe life beyond the margins, that truly become non-fictional legends."​ Marilyn for Dusty - It won't need to be explained.

Comment

Working...
                              X