the Marshall Islands castaway

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the Marshall Islands castaway

A castaway who claims to have spent more than a year adrift in the Pacific Ocean says his faith in God kept him going through the ordeal

Yesterday a bearded, Spanish-speaking man washed up on the shore of the Marshall Islands in the south Pacific. He claimed to be a native of El Salvador who was fishing for sharks off the cost of Mexico before being blown out to sea. More amazingly, he claimed he survived on a boat for 13 months by, among other things, catching birds and drinking turtle blood.

What we know:

- the man appeared surprisingly unemaciated and unburnt for spending 13 months on the open ocean
    - he initially gave a different name
    - he claims he had a 15-year old companion named Ezequiel who died one month into the journey
    - there was a two-person fishing boat that disappeared off the coast of Mexico in November 2012. One passenger had the name Ezequiel - but was 38 years old. The other passenger had a totally different name.
    - this man's relatives in El Salvador and the United States claim he disappeared 8 years ago and they thought he was dead. They say that the name of the other passenger on the 2012 boat was in fact this man's nickname

Many are skeptical that one could survive that long without a source of fresh water. Others say that all of the fake names might suggest that he was smuggling drugs, not fishing for sharks.

Either one of the greatest stories of human survival ever, or a hoax worth paying attention to and analyzing!

I should add that it's well established that starving people (and, really, people subjected to any kind of extreme deprivation) experience a "tunnel effect" where their minds can only focus on getting the thing they're being deprived of, so it's entirely possible that his bad memories are the result of starvation.

Comment

G'Day Demaso Marte

Yesterday a bearded, Spanish-speaking man washed up on the shore of the Marshall Islands in the south Pacific.
      It certainly wasn't yesterday, he was released from hospital yesterday and the 1st photos were out but we had reports of him "washing up" days ago.
      G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

He was just a passenger who wanted to escape - from either the Dream or the Triumph :

Carnival announced on Thursday that guests were being flown off the island of St Maarten in the Caribbean where the ship is moored. Passengers had been reportedly held on the boat despite the fact toilets were overflowing and unusable on Wednesday. The cruise ship has a capacity of 3,646 passengers and 1,367 crew.

Comment

Some people will do anything to get away from a nagging wife!.
          Three things in life that don't stay hidden for to long ones the sun ones the moon and the other is the truth

Comment

Hi Jason/Robert

Where can I book a passage in a Mexican fishing boat?

And being a modest but loving soul, and appreciating my wife's qualities to the fullest, (she speaks Double-Dutch most of the bloody time after all), where can I book her a berth in a cruise around the Netherlands Antilles?

All the best

Dave

Comment

[QUOTE=Cogidubnus;286961]Hi Jason/Robert

Where can I book a passage in a Mexican fishing boat?

And being a modest but loving soul, and appreciating my wife's qualities to the fullest, (she speaks Double-Dutch most of the bloody time after all), where can I book her a berth in a cruise around the Netherlands Antilles?

All the best

Dave[/QUOTE
              Hi Dave,let's find a boat and leave the wife's for a few months the only problem with this is can you imagine the ear ache,nagging and mindless cruelty we would have to endure when we returned......no doubt we would be accused of the heinous crime of enjoyment......also mother in law would use the snakes in her hair to inject some venom into the situation.......a message for our younger viewers please don't let this put you of getting married
              Last edited by pinkmoon; 02-07-2014, 03:30 PM.
              Three things in life that don't stay hidden for to long ones the sun ones the moon and the other is the truth

Comment

Working...
              X