Microsoft Is Ending Support for Windows XP on April 8, 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft Is Ending Support for Windows XP on April 8, 2014

If you are a Luddite like me and are still running Windows XP on your computer, you need to be aware that Microsoft is ending support for XP on April 8th. From what I understand, your computer should run normally after that (although some applications will not work) but it will become a huge security risk because Microsoft will no longer provide patches for security issues. Apparently, hackers are licking their chops waiting for this to happen. The so called experts (from what I have read) seem to advise getting a new computer.

Seems like it is always something.

c.d.

P.S. I am already getting notices from McAfee Anti Virus that they are no longer providing virus definition updates for XP.

G'Day c.d.

Typical, probably the best OS Billy and co, ever comes out with so they stop supporting it to force you to buy new gear.

G.U.T.
    G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Other than D.O.S.
      G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

I went ahead and bought a new computer. I went with Windows 7 (which cost a little more than Windows 8) because a few minutes on the Internet showed that a great many people absolutely hate Windows 8. I mean seriously hate it.

c.d.

Comment

G'Day C.D.

Why did 7 cost more than 8?
          G U T

Comment

Hello GUT,

I bought my computer from the Dell website. I asked the customer service rep that question and she said it was because Microsoft is really pushing 8 and so doesn't give Dell the deal on 7 that it gives them on 8 so there is less discount to pass on to the customer. From what I have read, a number of people are buying computers with Windows 8 and then trying to return them to get Windows 7.

c.d.

P.S. If you go to Google and simply put in "Windows 8" and "hate" you will see what I am talking about.

Comment

G'Day c.d.

Yes I know what you're saying about 8, but from what I've seen. heard and used 7's not a lot better. XP has been the best since ....... I really wish when they find something that works they'd stick with it even if I had to pay for ongoing support.
              G U T

Comment

But then I guess Bill Gates wouldn't be one of the worlds richest men and might have to get a job.
                G U T

Comment

Hello GUT,

It seems that Windows 8 is radically different from any version that has come before it so much so that even tech savvy people can't figure it out.

c.d.

Comment

Yea I've used it, my take is that they've tried to make something for tablet type devices.
                    G U T

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
                      Yea I've used it, my take is that they've tried to make something for tablet type devices.
                      Precisely. It just doesn't seem to work on a desktop especially for people who are trying to do work as opposed to spending their time on social sites like Facebook.

c.d.

Comment

Working...
                      X