Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UK Travel

Hello,

I'm heading up to Orkney beginning next weekend. I am taking a leisurely route as I don't have to be there until the 4th of December and am getting into Heathrow on the 30th of November. I don't have a plan really except I'd like to go the eastern route through Edinburgh and then over to Inverness and Thurso. As I have some days to spare, if anyone wants to meet up for an ale or a coffee or a mix of the two, I can probably figure out how to get where they are.

Give me a shout here and I'll try and fit it into my leisurely travel. By the way, going to Orkney to play in the Christmas Ba'.

Cheers,

Mike
    huh?

Originally posted by The Good Michael View Post
    Hello,

I'm heading up to Orkney beginning next weekend. I am taking a leisurely route as I don't have to be there until the 4th of December and am getting into Heathrow on the 30th of November. I don't have a plan really except I'd like to go the eastern route through Edinburgh and then over to Inverness and Thurso. As I have some days to spare, if anyone wants to meet up for an ale or a coffee or a mix of the two, I can probably figure out how to get where they are.

Give me a shout here and I'll try and fit it into my leisurely travel. By the way, going to Orkney to play in the Christmas Ba'.

Cheers,

Mike
    Hello Mike,

As you're in Scotland it's a fair trek for most on here. I'm not far from the English/Scottish border so I've been to a fair few places up there.

I think you're missing out by not going to Glasgow. It is supposed to be Europe's most violent city (clearly not the reason you're missing out!) based upon murders/stabbings etc, and it gives you an idea it's a rough and ready place - if you like industrial cities. But, there is a wealth of history as one of Britain's premier trading cities during the industrial revolution. The city itself is split in two: the more wealthy West End largely inhabited by protestants; the poorer East End largely inhabited by catholics. So, if you're interested in the development/history of people and politics/circumstance/chance which influences this, then it's an interesting place to visit. Loads of old pubs with about ten of them claiming to be the oldest pub in Scotland.

It's just one of those places that is a bit chaotic and with an interesting history. These Scots and the Edinburgh Scots are very different to the Highland Scots - different history/culture etc. Glasgow is just over the road from Edinburgh and around Glasgow there are some impressive lochs and scenery.

You will need to take an interpreter with you, mate. I'm North East English and the accent/dialect has certain consistencies, e.g. bairn and tattie are some of the words used in everyday language in both Scotland and where I come from; but there is absolutely no chance I can understand them!

Comment

Originally posted by Fleetwood Mac View Post
      Hello Mike,

As you're in Scotland it's a fair trek for most on here. I'm not far from the English/Scottish border so I've been to a fair few places up there.

I think you're missing out by not going to Glasgow. It is supposed to be Europe's most violent city (clearly not the reason you're missing out!) based upon murders/stabbings etc, and it gives you an idea it's a rough and ready place - if you like industrial cities. But, there is a wealth of history as one of Britain's premier trading cities during the industrial revolution. The city itself is split in two: the more wealthy West End largely inhabited by protestants; the poorer East End largely inhabited by catholics. So, if you're interested in the development/history of people and politics/circumstance/chance which influences this, then it's an interesting place to visit. Loads of old pubs with about ten of them claiming to be the oldest pub in Scotland.

It's just one of those places that is a bit chaotic and with an interesting history. These Scots and the Edinburgh Scots are very different to the Highland Scots - different history/culture etc. Glasgow is just over the road from Edinburgh and around Glasgow there are some impressive lochs and scenery.

You will need to take an interpreter with you, mate. I'm North East English and the accent/dialect has certain consistencies, e.g. bairn and tattie are some of the words used in everyday language in both Scotland and where I come from; but there is absolutely no chance I can understand them!
      Thanks. I've been to Glasgow several times. Glasgow, Fort William, Fort George, Glencoe. This will be my 4th time in Scotland and I agree with you. Been to Callandar (sp?) Loch Katrine, the Trossachs. Culloden, Sterling...Ullapool, Lewis, Harris, Benbecula, North and South Uist, Shetland...It's all good to me

...I wanted to go the Edinburgh route because I would get to Berwick upon Tweed and Lindisfarne (the start of Viking history in a way). I'm also interested in Jedburgh and some of the Border Reiver history with the Armstrongs and Johnstones and other families.
      So, as I said, I have a few days to play with and history's the game I play.

Cheers,

Mike
      Last edited by The Good Michael; 11-23-2013, 04:58 AM.
      huh?

Comment

Thanks. I've been to Glasgow several times. Glasgow, Fort William, Fort George, Glencoe. This will be my 4th time in Scotland and I agree with you. Been to Callandar (sp?) Loch Katrine, the Trossachs. Culloden, Sterling...Ullapool, Lewis, Harris, Benbecula, North and South Uist, Shetland...It's all good to me

...I wanted to go the Edinburgh route because I would get to Berwick upon Tweed and Lindisfarne (the start of Viking history in a way). I'm also interested in Jedburgh and some of the Border Reiver history with the Armstrongs and Johnstones and other families.
        So, as I said, I have a few days to play with and history's the game I play.

Cheers,

Mike
        Mike,

Lindisfarne/Holy Island is in the North East of England, so if you're round these parts then happy to show you around.

The area is steeped in history: Sunderland was the biggest ship building port in the world in the early 1900s; Durham Cathedral and Durham Castle are world heritage sites and both are held up as important historical sites throughout England - these aren't just any other castle and cathedral; we spent ages fighting the Scots - there was an important battle at Neville's Cross in Durham I think around 1316 and our friends from North of the border were a bit crafty in that they always got their heads together with the French but still wasn't enough for them. The bones of the Venerable Bede are in Durham Cathedral as are documents from Viking raids on England.

People round here are simple folk. My parents were happy as pigs in **** with a walk along the beach and even though I moved away from the area to go to university I knew it was never permanent regardless of what happened and I moved back. I'm reasonably educated and travelled to a good few places but it is part of the fabric of this place that the simple things in life are most important and there's no place like home. It is easily inhabited by the most friendly people in England.

County Durham was once a semi-independent state where we raised our own taxes and made our own laws - it's known as The Land of The Prince Bishops. The only such state in the country. The Civil War saw Durham and Newcastle side with the king and Sunderland siding with Parliament because the former two enjoyed certain privileges such as a royal charter to mine coal.

This place has a regional accent and dialect that no one else in the country understands and a lot of it derives from Old Norse.

Gannin' yerm = going home.
        Out of fettle = not feeling very well.
        Ower the knot = drunk.
        Away with the show folk = drunk.
        Nee botha = no problem.

Thousands of words and terms not used anywhere else in the British Isles.

We're home to two football teams who have been useless for years but are considered the most passionate and loyal football fans in the country. It's that sort of place.

If you can Mike, get yourself down to North Yorkshire - it's just down the road. It is rural and traditional and all the villages brew their own ales and sell them only in their own village. None of this mass produced bollocks.

If you're in Britain it would be a shame to miss this part of the world, because a lot of Scottish history is a myth invented by an Upper Class Englishman and they took it on as their own identity; whereas everything round here is genuine and I could go on all night about the wealth of history and the charms of the people round here.

Happy to buy you a pint and show you around.
        Last edited by Fleetwood Mac; 11-23-2013, 07:06 AM.

Comment

Mike,

Lindisfarne/Holy Island is in the North East of England, so if you're round these parts then happy to show you around.

The area is steeped in history: Sunderland was the biggest ship building port in the world in the early 1900s; Durham Cathedral and Durham Castle are world heritage sites and both are held up as important historical sites throughout England - these aren't just any other castle and cathedral; we spent ages fighting the Scots - there was an important battle at Neville's Cross in Durham I think around 1316 and our friends from North of the border were a bit crafty in that they always got their heads together with the French but still wasn't enough for them. The bones of the Venerable Bede are in Durham Cathedral as are documents from Viking raids on England.

People round here are simple folk. My parents were happy as pigs in **** with a walk along the beach and even though I moved away from the area to go to university I knew it was never permanent regardless of what happened and I moved back. I'm reasonably educated and travelled to a good few places but it is part of the fabric of this place that the simple things in life are most important and there's no place like home. It is easily inhabited by the most friendly people in England.

County Durham was once a semi-independent state where we raised our own taxes and made our own laws - it's known as The Land of The Prince Bishops. The only such state in the country. The Civil War saw Durham and Newcastle side with the king and Sunderland siding with Parliament because the former two enjoyed certain privileges such as a royal charter to mine coal.

This place has a regional accent and dialect that no one else in the country understands and a lot of it derives from Old Norse.

Gannin' yerm = going home.
          Out of fettle = not feeling very well.
          Ower the knot = drunk.
          Away with the show folk = drunk.
          Nee botha = no problem.

Thousands of words and terms not used anywhere else in the British Isles.

We're home to two football teams who have been useless for years but are considered the most passionate and loyal football fans in the country. It's that sort of place.

If you can Mike, get yourself down to North Yorkshire - it's just down the road. It is rural and traditional and all the villages brew their own ales and sell them only in their own village. None of this mass produced bollocks.

If you're in Britain it would be a shame to miss this part of the world, because a lot of Scottish history is a myth invented by an Upper Class Englishman and they took it on as their own identity; whereas everything round here is genuine and I could go on all night about the wealth of history and the charms of the people round here.

Happy to buy you a pint and show you around.
          Oh and I forgot to mention that when I was in the US I was surprised to hear that people in the South use the term: "I reckon" rather than "I guess/suppose". That is derived from North East England where you won't hear anyway say: "I suppose". They'll always say "I reckon", or "reckon up" which means "if you think about it".
          Last edited by Fleetwood Mac; 11-23-2013, 07:13 AM.

Comment

Oh and I forgot to mention that when I was in the US I was surprised to hear that people in the South use the term: "I reckon" rather than "I guess/suppose". That is derived from North East England where you won't hear anyway say: "I suppose". They'll always say "I reckon", or "reckon up" which means "if you think about it".
            That's true. Only in the south and in Australia as well. Everyone in Australia says it.

I'll let you know of my route. Yes, I know where Lindisfarne is, but didn't get to see it. This time I have a lot of time to travel so I hope to tale you up on the offer to show me around.

Thanks,

Mike
            huh?

Comment

That's true. Only in the south and in Australia as well. Everyone in Australia says it.

I'll let you know of my route. Yes, I know where Lindisfarne is, but didn't get to see it. This time I have a lot of time to travel so I hope to tale you up on the offer to show me around.

Thanks,

Mike
              No bother, Mike. Be prepared for a lecture on how magnificent we are, but it will be tempered by a wander into the dark side where not everything is rosy!

Forgot to mention that we have Washington Hall here which is the ancestral birth place of George Washington - a few times removed.

We also have saveloys and peas pudding which in a sandwich are pretty special.

I'm a big fan of London. These days it's inhabited by a lot of foreigners but move off the beaten track and you can still find traditional London, but we may as well be on a different planet as we're so different to Cockneys.

Comment

No bother, Mike. Be prepared for a lecture on how magnificent we are, but it will be tempered by a wander into the dark side where not everything is rosy!

Forgot to mention that we have Washington Hall here which is the ancestral birth place of George Washington - a few times removed.

We also have saveloys and peas pudding which in a sandwich are pretty special.

I'm a big fan of London. These days it's inhabited by a lot of foreigners but move off the beaten track and you can still find traditional London, but we may as well be on a different planet as we're so different to Cockneys.
                I'm leaving tomorrow to get to the airport which is a long ways away. I'll be in London early afternoon on Saturday. After that, I'd love to meet up, but where?

Mike
                huh?

Comment

I'm leaving tomorrow to get to the airport which is a long ways away. I'll be in London early afternoon on Saturday. After that, I'd love to meet up, but where?

Mike
                  Hello Mike,

When are you in Lindisfarne?

Comment

Working...
                  X