Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bored with Ripperology? Try 'Muffinology'!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bored with Ripperology? Try 'Muffinology'!

Muffinology —a sometimes obsessive interest in studying the crimes of the Muffin Man—is a subject of timeless interest that has suffered from confusion, exaggeration, and hyperbole for many centuries.

The alleged true story of the Muffin Man claims that the nursery rhyme is based on a 16th-century murderer named Frederick Thomas Lynwood.

I thought you said "muffology" for a minute! I've studied that for years and am still none the wiser??
    Thems the Vagaries.....

Comment

Originally posted by Al Bundy's Eyes View Post
      I thought you said "muffology" for a minute! I've studied that for years and am still none the wiser??
      Yes one has to be careful not to mix up one's terminology.

Comment

Hmm, never heard of either one - sheltered life, and all that....
        Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Originally posted by Al Bundy's Eyes View Post
          Hi Al,

Great to hear that you have taken a lifelong interest in the towns of coastal Ireland!

I hear there are many interesting pursuits one can participate in there.

We are the famous official Muff Diving Club based in Muff, Ireland. Membership is now open Worldwide for yourself or for a perfect present

Comment

Bet Al has got the certificate and the t-shirt.

Comment

Originally posted by Ms Diddles View Post

Hi Al,

Great to hear that you have taken a lifelong interest in the towns of coastal Ireland!

I hear there are many interesting pursuits one can participate in there.

https://www.muffdivingclub.ie/
              Diving
              Thems the Vagaries.....

Comment

Ripperology and nursery rhymes have one thing in common: a lot of outlandish, poorly-supported theories. Google any of your favorite childhood nursery rhymes and odds are you'll find at least one story about how it is actually a reference to some event from English history. Mary Mary Quite Contrary is allegedly about Mary Tudor, Jack and Hill Go Up The Hill is allegedly about a failed tax reform of King Charles I, etc.

In fact I read a theory about "do you know the muffin man" several years ago claiming it was a reference to a scandal in which a muffin seller was caught attempting to bribe a boxer into throwing a match - a muffin vendor would not have had such amounts of money so he was clearly an intermediary for somebody else. All of London, it was said, claimed that they did not know the muffin man.

I assume these theories are almost all incorrect - another similarity to Ripperology.

Comment

[QUOTE=
                  I assume these theories are almost all incorrect - another similarity to Ripperology. [/QUOTE]

Yes, including MacNaghtens's, Anderson's, and Swanson's!

Comment

Working...
                  X