Public asked to swear allegiance to King out loud during ceremony

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Public asked to swear allegiance to King out loud during ceremony

“During the ceremony, the Archbishop will ask “all persons of goodwill in The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, and of the other Realms and the Territories to make their homage, in heart and voice, to their undoubted King, defender of all”.

The order of service will read: “All who so desire, in the Abbey, and elsewhere, say together:

“All: I swear that I will pay true allegiance to Your Majesty, and to your heirs and successors according to law. So help me God.”

Well they can f**k right off.

Did we have to say the same at the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II?
    Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

No this is a new idea.
      Next you know they will ask us to chant in support of the NHS every Thursday.
      As if, I mean, this is Britain, land of the f, oh well, mebbe not, some other nation's by-line.

Comment

ooer at least I didnt say England. United Kingdom I meant.

Comment

Originally posted by String View Post
          “During the ceremony, the Archbishop will ask “all persons of goodwill in The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, and of the other Realms and the Territories to make their homage, in heart and voice, to their undoubted King, defender of all”.

The order of service will read: “All who so desire, in the Abbey, and elsewhere, say together:

“All: I swear that I will pay true allegiance to Your Majesty, and to your heirs and successors according to law. So help me God.”

Well they can f**k right off.

Uggggghhh!

I too will be keeping schtum and raising a middle finger, String.

Comment

A Scottish secondary school teacher was suspended on Tuesday after encouraging students to question the media’s one-sided view of the monarchy. Rivkah Brown reports.

Comment

Originally posted by Dupin View Post
              Same thing.
              Last edited by mpriestnall; 04-30-2023, 06:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mpriestnall View Post
                Originally posted by Dupin
                Same thing.
                Boo!
                Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Sounds as if the UK is on the verge of becoming as *disunited* as the USA.

So sad that people won't trust their government, nor a king trust his subjects.
                  Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
                  ---------------
                  Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
                  ---------------

Comment

Gents, this is a ceremony. there is no legal consequence to the oath. This is IMO no different the old "Our father in heaven, Hallowed be your name" which, as an atheist, I have recited many times in church with the family without feeling violated or outraged.

Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by Svensson View Post
                      Gents, this is a ceremony. there is no legal consequence to the oath. This is IMO no different the old "Our father in heaven, Hallowed be your name" which, as an atheist, I have recited many times in church with the family without feeling violated or outraged.

Cheers.
                      Of course you're quite right Svennson!

This charade is utterly meaningless.

I think many of us are feeling a bit of coronation-fatigue here already.

I will however take the extra public holiday!

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post

Boo!
                        Ditto from Scotland!

Comment

Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post

That ship sailed with the Brexit referendum.

We absolutely trust our King and Government - we trust them to do what is in their and their friends' best interest.

Comment

Originally posted by Ms Diddles View Post

I think many of us are feeling a bit of coronation-fatigue here already.
                            I think most of the fatigue stems from the endless and completely irrelevant speculation on whether Harry, Megan, both or none will attend the coronation and of course why or why not. At least by monday morning that will be all over. Oh hang on, then they will spend the next few weeks interpreting Harry's left sock and Willaim's nose-scratch after 3 hours of ceremony. Only for Harry to run back to Oprah to "tell the truth" about both stories in a 12-part Netflix special....

Comment

Or a King who doesn't trust himself?

Comment

Working...
                              X