Private sale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Fisherman View Post

Micrographia is not the one calling card of Parkinsons. Iīve made that point in my posts, where I have mentioned three calling cards.
    Micrographia is the one calling card that is specifically pointed to as Parkinson's. None of the others are selective only to Parkinson's and are in fact shared by many other neurological conditions.

Selective argument on the part of people who refuse to concede Davis wasn't saying he had Parkinson's. Yes.

[B]Ah - you are obviously not speaking of me here. Good.
    Denial is a beautiful thing.

Let all Oz be agreed;
    I need a better class of flying monkeys.

Comment

• Ally: Micrographia is the one calling card that is specifically pointed to as Parkinson's. None of the others are selective only to Parkinson's and are in fact shared by many other neurological conditions.

Including the difficulty to make upward strokes without shaking, and the much better capability to make downward strokes without shaking? Interesting!

Which neurological condition, unrelated to Parkisonīs, is it that evinces this trait? And why did Davies opt for saying "certain" neurological diseases, such as Parkinsonianism, if this is the case?

And have you checked if any other neurological disease puts both the stroke thing AND the grouping of letters on display? Maybe this was what Davies saw? I donīt know - but Iīd love a logical explanation. It does not have to come from you, though.

Denial is a beautiful thing.

Is it? I wouldnīt know. Maybe you are better suited to grasp it.

At any rate, I have said before and I am saying again: I do not think that Davies said that Swanson suffered from PD.

Is that what you are denying; that this is what I say? And how is that beautiful?

The best,
      Fisherman
      Last edited by Fisherman; 10-03-2013, 05:51 AM.

Comment

• My dear Monty
        Being seen to support the Marginalia is clearly very important to you.
        I do like a name drop so...
        I am having high tea with Paddington Bear tomorrow.
        I will pass in your best regards, your best mind you, over the marmalade sandwiches with lashings of butter.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lechmere View Post
          My dear Monty
          I will pass in your best regards, your best mind you, over the marmalade sandwiches with lashings of butter.
          Brilliant! I knew you could produce some more funny stuff if you started using your phone again ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Chris View Post
            The Swansons have been unfortunate enough to find themselves on the receiving end of the antics of the lunatic fringe of Ripperology - possibly because all that documentation has acted as a supply of troll-food - but that says nothing bad about the Swansons. In a way, it's probably a badge of honour.
            I think this sentence wins the award.

Comment

My dear Monty
              My dear Ed,

Not at all. I have issues with the marginalia. I'm just not partial to casting aspersions on individuals without valid evidence. Kinda old fashioned that way.

Its cute that you have a pet name for Mr Marriott, and be mindful of those sticky fingers. .

Monty
              Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

• Originally posted by Fisherman View Post
                [B]Including the difficulty to make upward strokes without shaking, and the much better capability to make downward strokes without shaking? Interesting!

Which neurological condition, unrelated to Parkisonīs, is it that evinces this trait? And why did Davies opt for saying "certain" neurological diseases, such as Parkinsonianism, if this is the case?
                Any disease that affects nerves can cause that. When you are making an upward stroke, you are pushing your fingers "up and out" sort of (try it, you'll see what I mean) so you are engaging nerves and muscles that don't come into play when you do a downward stroke, so there is less "resistance" in a downward stroke than there is in an upward stroke. Anyone can try this and see it for themselves. Any condition that adversely affects the nerves or the extensor muscles of the hands comes into play with upward strokes. It's not Parkinson specific. It is absolutely any neurological condition that can cause damage to the extensor muscles and that is... almost all of them really. We are talking about one small set of muscles/nerves in use in the forming of the upward stroke. The extensors. The neurological condition could be simple neuropathy or a blow to the radial nerve or spinal degeneration.

And have you checked if any other neurological disease puts both the stroke thing AND the grouping of letters on display? Maybe this was what Davies saw? I donīt know - but Iīd love a logical explanation. It does not have to come from you, though.

What specific pathology do you see in the "grouping of the letters"? I don't believe Davis mentioned anything specific about the "grouping of the letters but I could be wrong.

Let all Oz be agreed;
                I need a better class of flying monkeys.

Comment

Marmalade sandwiches? Bleh!

Good Lord. It'll be Marmite next...

Comment

• Yes Rob
                    I think it would be for the best if no one ever put a document, image or picture up in case some terrible ungrate disagrees with the person who was so gracious as to share with us the fruits of his toils.

Chris!
                    buUganda ffet offiDee chs ifgcrev
                    I hope that keeps you amused for a while.
                    Last edited by Lechmere; 10-03-2013, 07:48 AM.

Comment

• Yes Sally - I don't like the peel bits but he doesn't listen to me. The story of my life!

Comment

• Monty!
                        You have issues with the Marginalia?
                        I want the names of the people responsible for those issues.
                        That sort of unattributable innuendo is typical of your brigade.

Comment

• Message from Paddington Bear :

I am afraid that I shall not be having high tea with Mr Lechmere. The last time I had high tea with Mr Lechmere, he :

1. Demanded documentary proof that I really was Paddington Bear.
                          2. Questioned my Peruvian provenance.
                          3. Called for a laboratory analysis of the marmalade.
                          4. When I showed him the marmalade jar, he said that I could have removed the real marmalade and replaced it with fake marmalade.
                          5. Told me to try harder to get things right.

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert View Post
                            Message from Paddington Bear :

I am afraid that I shall not be having high tea with Mr Lechmere. The last time I had high tea with Mr Lechmere, he :

1. Demanded documentary proof that I really was Paddington Bear.
                            2. Questioned my Peruvian provenance.
                            3. Called for a laboratory analysis of the marmalade.
                            4. When I showed him the marmalade jar, he said that I could have removed the real marmalade and replaced it with fake marmalade.
                            5. Told me to try harder to get things right.
                            6. Following confirmation by the laboratory analysis that the marmalade was real marmalade, suggested that the analyst might have been subconsciously influenced by his closeness to me, on the grounds that I had been in postal communication with his employer.

7. Suggested that a fake version of the lab report could have been planted in the envelope while the letter was in transit.

Comment

• 8. Demanded to know what else was in my suitcase.
                              9. Brought a Swedish friend with him, who spent all his time warning me that my flies were undone.

Comment

• Ally:

Any disease that affects nerves can cause that. When you are making an upward stroke, you are pushing your fingers "up and out" sort of (try it, you'll see what I mean) so you are engaging nerves and muscles that don't come into play when you do a downward stroke, so there is less "resistance" in a downward stroke than there is in an upward stroke. Anyone can try this and see it for themselves. Any condition that adversely affects the nerves or the extensor muscles of the hands comes into play with upward strokes. It's not Parkinson specific. It is absolutely any neurological condition that can cause damage to the extensor muscles and that is... almost all of them really. We are talking about one small set of muscles/nerves in use in the forming of the upward stroke. The extensors. The neurological condition could be simple neuropathy or a blow to the radial nerve or spinal degeneration.

U-huh. Interesting. But is the trait specific to "any disease that affects nerves", or is it just a possible side effect? And, if you donīt much mind - what sources do you use for this?

What specific pathology do you see in the "grouping of the letters"? I don't believe Davis mentioned anything specific about the "grouping of the letters but I could be wrong.

He didnīt, as far as I know, so you will be right on that score. But he did not mention the difference between upward and downward strokes either. Or micrographia for that matter.

He did not say what it was he recognized as a trait (or two or more traits) typical to the Parkinson range of diseases. Iīve picked the grouping thing up on the net. It is connected, I believe, to the pattern in which a writing PD patient lifts his pen and puts it down again; he or she will do so performing little clusters of letters, lifting the pen, putting it down again, forming a new cluster, lifting the pen etcetera. Something along those lines.

All the best,
                                Fisherman
                                Last edited by Fisherman; 10-03-2013, 09:23 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X