No announcement yet.

URGENT- Don Souden Has Had A Stroke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just finished speaking with Don, and I agree he seems to be somewhat "weak" (his word, when I asked how he was)...He's (predictably enough) drifting a little bit in and out of awareness, but he seemed to be maintaining a sharp curiosity about Casebook and the people on the boards...he's certainly still got a lot of recollection and asked me several pertinent questions about stuff we'd discussed way back before the stroke...

He also mentioned to me his intention of attending Conference, "now he can", and mentioned being introduced to "Ir'n Bru" on one of his previous visits to the UK...said that next time he came he'd rather a nice beer!

He referring to his nursing staff as a bunch of Nazis and his brother as a Quisling, thanks to whom he was no longer permitted to do headstands...so he's certainly retained his sense of humour.

He did ask me to say how much he's enjoyed the cards and letters, (which may've been a hint!), and as he's got a birthday coming up (21st October he said) it occured to me that a special posting effort might be in order...

All the best

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Cogidubnus View Post
      He did ask me to say how much he's enjoyed the cards and letters, (which may've been a hint!), and as he's got a birthday coming up (21st October he said) it occured to me that a special posting effort might be in order...

All the best

Dave
      Dave,
      I think that's a neat idea. A mountain of cards for his birthday.

Velma

Comment

He is going to sound, and in fact be exhausted for awhile. It's usually a good thing. He has been through an immense trauma, and his body and brain are not remotely up to the task of anything other than lying in bed. But in order to ensure meaningful recovery, stroke victims have to start as soon as they are out of danger. It's brutal. But if he's exhausted, he's working hard. They would not have him up and in physical therapy if they were not confident he was out of the woods. Whatever effects may linger will depend on this time. His brain has been through some stuff, to put it mildly. Concentrating on moving means he can't easily concentrate on talking. But when the moving part clicks again, it will vastly help his speech (where the reverse is not true). It may mean conversations with him are going to be tough, but he's getting better. It's a "no pain no gain" scenario. Just tell him that his best revenge will be smacking his nurse's ass as he walks past her and out the doors of the hospital. They HATE that.
        The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

Dave, I'm so glad you were able to talk to Don. He had been wanting to speak to you and when I talked to him not long before you finally got through, I assured him you had tried and would keep trying til you were able to.

Errata, you're right; PT is exhausting for anyone and for Don will be even more so.

Originally posted by curious View Post
          Dave,
          I think that's a neat idea. A mountain of cards for his birthday.

Velma
          Yeah guys, that's a terrific idea!

I keep wanting to bake Don something, like my homemade Gingersnaps, but then I remember he's a diabetic.

What I really want is to get him some 'Jack the Ripper' jammies... not actually blood-drenched... just something to shake the place up and give Don some laughs.

Heck, I will settle for a Jack The Ripper themed neck-warmer. Anyone know where I can get one? (I'm actually serious.) It will give Don a certain flair, that je ne sais quoi...

Anyone good at knitting? I'll buy the yarn.

Archaic

Comment

Originally posted by Archaic View Post

What I really want is to get him some 'Jack the Ripper' jammies... not actually blood-drenched... just something to shake the place up and give Don some laughs.

Heck, I will settle for a Jack The Ripper themed neck-warmer. Anyone know where I can get one? (I'm actually serious.) It will give Don a certain flair, that je ne sais quoi...

Anyone good at knitting? I'll buy the yarn.

Archaic
            I checked eBay for possibilities. It's mostly books, but there are some Jtr costumes.

Perhaps a top hat and cape??? Can't you imagine riding around in a wheel chair with top hat and cape? :-)

Comment

Hi Dave,

Thanks for Don's birthday date. I've written down in my diary to send him a birthday card in good time.

Carol

Comment

Fairview Healthcare Ctr
                930 Mill Hill Terrace
                ATTN: DONALD SOUDEN
                Southport, CT 06890
                USA

I'm repeating the address for anyone who wants to find it easily. Thank you for putting it up.

Didn't know he was in Connecticut. Got a laugh out of the nurses are all Nazi's. Heheh.

Will be sending a card. Gee he's right about Halloween time, too.

Barb

Comment

I'm very sorry indeed to hear the news about my old teammate Don from Tuesday night ripper quiz of old. Thoughts and prayers are with you, Supe!

Comment

I’m shocked and saddened to read this news about Don. It’s been a while since we corresponded but I will always regard him as a gentleman and scholar of the first degree.

I can only echo the sentiments already posted and wish Don a complete recovery as soon as possible.

Thank you Bunny for making everyone aware of this sad news, and I hope you are on the mend too.

Best wishes
                    alex
                    But for me, in my impenetrable mantle, the safety was complete. Think of it – I did not even exist!
                    (HJFSotC – SCoDJaMH – RLS, 1886)

https://www.amazon.com/author/alexchisholm
                    http://www.amazon.co.uk/-/e/B006JFY5TC

Comment

Just got off the phone from speaking to Don again

He's feeling cold, but says that may be because it's a cold fall and he's had pneumonia, (which I didnt know)...

He's tired from all the exercises and therapy they're giving him, but in good spirits...he was cracking jokes with me tonight about Casebook members and threatening verbal trouncings, (his eyesight still isn't back to normal and I think he's bored because he lacks input. (He says he'll be back on Casebook as soon as he can see properly again, and then watch out).

One very encouraging thing...his therapist has told him that of all his/her patients Don's the one that shows the brightest promise for an eventual full recovery...

Alex - he made a particularly complimentary comment about you, and says he got on with you from the very first, which he says is perhaps because of shared Scottish descent (he recommended your "News from Whitechapel" book anyhow, which I've just ordered)...

Bunny...he says he'll be calling you soon (which may be a hint for you to call again...I don't know)...

All the best

Dave
                      Last edited by Cogidubnus; 10-05-2013, 01:22 PM.

Comment

A sort of PS

He also asked me about the English Premier League (whether it looked sorted out yet?) and how are the MCC doing (have they played the second Test yet?)

I'm afraid I know very little about sport, but was able to tell him that the MCC won the Summer Test (which he knew) but flubbed some (oh ok most) of the one day matches...if anybody on here knows anything about soccer/cricket, please enlighten me, or better still, contact Don!

All the best

Dave

Comment

*important Message To All About Don & Phone Calls

Alex!! I'm really glad to hear from you...long time no see! Hope you are well. I'm OK.

IMPORTANT: THIS IS FOR EVERYBODY ON BOTH FORUMS:

I have spoken with Don's sister who is in charge of his care.
                          There is one doctor who think Don has a chance of progressing in his recovery, and that Dr is trying to get Don moved into a better facility, one more geared towards actual recovery rather than "maintenance", that has more specialized neurological experts.
                          Everything depends on Don getting into that facility & program.

i've avoided saying it before, but the place don is in now is a nursing home. he gets basic speech & physical therapy but needs a much more intensive program if he is going to have a real chance at recovery.

because sometimes Don sounds "pretty good" in a phone call, there is a general perception that he's doing great. He's not. He has made definite progress in speech and memory lately, but has frequent "off" days where he loses it. that's normal to stroke.

Right now, Don has Pneumonia and is on antibiotics.
                          About 10 days ago he fell again- the first time was reaching for the phone. This time he actually fell out of a wheel-chair.
                          He doesn't want to eat, which leaves him weak. His left side is completely paralyzed and his physical/mental coordination is seriously impaired. If his phone rings he is in serious danger of reaching for it and falling again. He has been through so much, I honestly don't know how much more he can take.

Don is enjoying your cards and postcards, and they definitely aid in his therapy because he wants to read them, and he can do so to some extent. They are beneficial, safe, and they cheer him up. Please keep them coming.

But there seems to be a perception that now Don is "doing great" and can talk to all his friends, and this idea is not only mistaken, but it can actually have a deleterious effect on his recovery.
                          Talking on the phone is fun for him, but it exhausts him very quickly. One 2 or 5 or 10 minute phone call takes so much of his mental energy that it also drains his physical energy- and he has very little of that to start with.

> The problem is that Don is feeling very tired and he is refusing to get out of bed and work on his therapy. On many days his therapists just have to give up. He wants to sleep most of the day, maybe have a fun phone call, and sleep the rest of the day.

THIS IS THE KEY POINT: If Don doesn't make measurable progress in his different therapies, this one doctor who sees recovery potential in him and wants to move him to a specialized neurological facility will NOT be able to do so - because the doctor will have to show medical evidence via PT charts, general attitude assessments, etc, that Don will continue to work hard and improve.

Right now Don is going through a phase where he doesn't want to work hard, he wants to chat. He's grumpy with his therapists and won't get out of bed to do his exercise & therapies.

If this behavior doesn't change soon, the sad truth is that Don will spend the rest of his life in a nursing home, getting minimal therapy because they will say he isn't cooperating, doing his exercises, and making progress. That's how the system works.

>> So for any of you who want to call Don, have been trying to get his number, etc- PLEASE DO NOT CALL.
                          HIS FAMILY SAID THIS IS NOT THE TIME.

Later, when Don has made more progress and gotten stronger, it will hopefully be different. Right now his neurological damage is such that pulling his mind together for a 5 minute phone call is like running a marathon- he's left exhausted.

He cannot handle more than ONE brief call a day, and that's from EVERYONE-
                          Right now his own sister, nephew & nieces who live 3,000 miles away can seldom talk to him, because others are calling & wearing him out. So please think of the family as well as of Don.

When i talked to his sister yesterday i offered to not call him anymore if it would help his energy level. She told me she wants me to keep in touch with Don, and that he asks about me frequently. (I also get lots of long gibberish texts from him, poor guy.) But I still only call once a week, and if i don't get hold of him, I just accept it.

When I finally located Don in September after he'd been "missing" for weeks, his family asked me to please help keep Don keep in touch with his friends. I'm doing my best to do that in a safe and responsible manner. I'm doing it for Don's sake, because he is my friend, and I returned to Casebook solely for that purpose.

When Don told me who he would like me to write to on his behalf, I did so. When he told me who else he would like to speak to, I put those people in touch with him. They can chat with him occasionally, because they can keep him informed on things like message board topics, sports, etc, and i can't. I've offered to read the thread posts messages to him and to relay any private messages anyone might have for him.

But the number of phone calls he's getting is already excessive. It is interfering with his rehab, which could not be more serious an issue. If others start calling him, the family will have to ask the receptionist to not put any non-family calls through, and if that doesn't work they will remove the phone from his room. Which would be miserable for Don.

So please people, don't let that happen. We all need to pull together and help Don conserve his strength so he can do therapies and regain lost abilities. Once he has gotten stronger and made more progress more people will be able to communicate with him. For the time being, please keep your communications in the form of cards, thread messages, positive energy and prayers.

If Don is moved to the new place his sister and i will make sure all of his mail is forwarded.

I'm praying Don will be accepted into the more advanced therapy program. It could happen very soon, or not at all. But it's his very best chance to recover and return to us, and to the books, writing & research that he loves, so the stakes couldn't be higher.
                          Please, on your honor, cooperate with his family's wishes and act in Don's best interest.

Sorry i had to put it like this, but my #1 concern is Don's health and recovery. Thanks very much everybody.

Archaic
                          Last edited by Archaic; 10-06-2013, 10:40 AM.

Comment

Bad News

Don is in the hospital.

More news coming.

Comment

Don Is In Hospital

It looks like Don has had a heart attack. He is in the hospital seeing a Cardiologist. Theyre hoping it was a mild heart attack.

They have also found another blood clot in his leg. They don't want to anesthetize him again so are going to try to break it up with medications rather than surgical intervention.

Don was conscious about 30 min ago because he texted me- just an empty text- so I called him. No answer. I had a bad feeling and checked with his sister & found out the news.

Medical assessment is still ongoing. I'm hopeful because at least he was able to press my text number.

I will post more as soon as i know.

Please everybody, pray for our friend Don.

Thanks,
                              Bunny

Comment

Bunny please let him know we're all right behind him.

Comment

Working...
                                X