No announcement yet.

URGENT- Don Souden Has Had A Stroke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don's Cardiologist Won't Permit Gall Bladder Surgery!

Sorry, but events seem to have taken yet another turn.

Don's sister was able to speak to him today, apparently thanks to the kindness of Don's old therapist who also sent her the photo & let her call Don on their cell phone. (Bless that person)
    She gave Don my message that everybody here sends their love & best wishes and are pulling for him. Don asked his sister to thank everyone for their cards and good wishes.

By the way, Don said Belinda sent him the hat. (I always knew Don was a toff at heart. )

But- Don said that his Cardiologist checked him over and refused to sign the permission for gallbladder surgery, so the surgery that should have happened in about 36 hrs is cancelled! We don't know any further details.

Don had a heart attack in 2005, but his sister said he had been doing pretty well heart-wise. It may have to do with related issues like his stroke, arteries, blood clots, blood pressure, etc.

Don's sister is trying to find out from their other brother back in Connecticut what the heck happens now. We don't even know if Don is still in pain from the gallstones.

My head is still kind of spinning from all this.
    Well, at least Don got his eyeglasses and is happy to have gotten cards & gifts from him friends.

I promise to post when I find out any further info, and will ask his brother about the used laptop idea.

Take care,
    Bunny

Comment

• "Gallstone Street Grafitto Club" sweatshirt ?

Originally posted by belinda View Post
      That's an Aussie Flag cap!!!! I sent it with a couple of little trinketts. Great to see him wearing it!

I am starting The Gallstone Street Graffitto Club for those of us who bear that particular marking.Tell Don he'll soon be a member!
      Hi Belinda.

I'm so glad it worked out to send Don's parcel to his brother. Don looks very pleased. With the black glasses he kinda looks like a hipster ready for a Who concert.

Hey, maybe we can make an official "Gallstone Street Grafitto Club" sweatshirt for Don with some fabric paint?

Is anybody on here good at that sort of thing? (I'm afraid my handwriting is too illegible even for grafitti.)

Oh man, Don will love perpetually stumping the panel at the care facility!

My Friends Went To The Goulston Street Graffito Club, And All I Got Was This Lousy T-Shirt

Cheers,
      Bunny

Comment

• Originally posted by Archaic View Post

But- Don said that his Cardiologist checked him over and refused to sign the permission for gallbladder surgery, so the surgery that should have happened in about 36 hrs is cancelled! We don't know any further details.

Don had a heart attack in 2005, but his sister said he had been doing pretty well heart-wise. It may have to do with related issues like his stroke, arteries, blood clots, blood pressure, etc.
        Any surgery requiring full anesthesia can be catastrophic to people with heart and lung issues. And any surgery can bust clots that can cause another stroke. But I would bet that the issue is his lungs, not his heart. Bed bound people get pulmonary edema. Not necessarily to a fatal degree, but fluid builds up in the lungs. Given his recent illnesses, it's not surprising that this would be considered risky at this time. And given that there are relatively few straight pulmonologists running around, his cardiologist is probably also serving as a pulmonologist, which is not terribly uncommon.

Unfortunately, because of his medications his lungs are unlikely to clear completely. They all cause fluid build up in the body, lungs included. The trick is to present a risk reward scenario. Given that constant pain greatly elevates the blood pressure (the cause of many of his problems) and the medications are likely not only hindering his surgical prospects but also creating whole new problems, getting the pain under control is one of the best medical steps he can take. The cessation of pain could lead to lower blood pressure and less medication, possibly clearing his lungs. The risk may well be worth the reward. Contrary to popular belief, doctors are not natural risk takers when it comes to things like this. They need prompting.
        The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

• I'm sorry they weren't able to operate on Don. Hopefully they will be able to sort something out. Is ultrasound an option?

Comment

• Originally posted by belinda View Post
            That's an Aussie Flag cap!!!! I sent it with a couple of little trinketts. Great to see him wearing it!

I am starting The Gallstone Street Graffitto Club for those of us who bear that particular marking.Tell Don he'll soon be a member!
            I would love to join the club, seeing as I have the marking... but I hope we don't have to show pictures of it... my torso might scare people ...

Steadmund Brand
            "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Comment

• Update- Don's Surgery Is Back On For Tomorrow!

Hi guys.

Errata, I think you're right, the doctors reconsidered. I just got word.

I was very upset last night when word was that they were going to just leave him in pain rather than operate. I felt like banging my head against the wall. So did Don's sister & brother.

Doctors are sometimes too cautious and forget about the importance of Quality of Life. Don has been in in a rough way and has plenty of pain for other reasons, he sure doesn't need any more!

Don's gallbladder surgery is set for 10:30 a.m EST Thursday June 12, 2014. That's 3:30 p.m. GMT.

Don's sister asked that we all pray for Don and send him positive healing energy. I promised her we would.

To be honest I'm feeling rather scared knowing that Don's cardiologist wanted to cancel the operation, but I believe it's best to do the surgery despite the risks.

I am hoping to speak to Don early in the morning if his brother can manage it.

If you want to post a brief personal message for Don on this thread over the next couple of hours, i will email them to Don's brother & sister tonight just in case they'll have a chance to read them to him.

Thanks everyone.
              Bunny

Comment

• Don will be in my thoughts and prayers. I don't know him, other than reading his words, have never even talked with him here, but hope it all goes well and he can get his Gallstone T-shirt soon .
                G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• Send him all my best wishes and tell him the cap looks great

Comment

• You will be in my thoughts and prayers this morning Don. God bless.

Comment

• You are in my thoughts Don, and look foward to being able to talk to you soon.
                      "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Comment

• Surgery Update

Don is in pre-op & about to go into surgery.

Will post as soon as I know anything. Might be a couple of hours.

Last night i talked to Cris Malone, & he pointed out that the last article Don wrote was about Hulse, so indirectly about Goulston Street Grafitto.

Don's sister promised to update me as soon as she hears anything, then i'll update all of you.

Bunny

I'll make Don the Gallstone Street sweatshirt. Realized I can use one of those plastic lettering templates to keep it legible- oh heck i forget the word. You know what I mean. Woke up too early today & brain hasnt caught up yet.

Comment

• Thank you, Bunny, for keeping us all informed about Don. I've just this moment been catching up with this thread. According to your post he is probably in surgery as I write. I'm so worried about him. He's suffered so much. Please tell Don that he is always in our thoughts and prayers.

Carol

Comment

• Don's Surgery Cancelled, Heart Too Weak

Just got work from Don's sister.
                            Don was taken in ambulance to hospital this morning for gall bladder surgery. During pre-op the doctors determined that Don's "heart is too weak" so they cancelled surgery.

His sister will give me more details as she learns them, but it appears that his heart isn't strong enough to put him under anesthesia. That's bad news.

What a rollercoster ride this has been! Poor Don. Like he needed a new problem.

Please keep postcards etc coming.

Maybe we can try to focus on the positive, which is the fact that he finally got his new eyeglasses. Hopefully he'll be able to read again & get online.

Don loves to get sent beautiful postcards Ripper news & jokes. I'll get to work on his Gallstone Street sweatshirt & say its from all of us.

Thanks, Bunny

Comment

• Hi Bunny

If you get a window of opportunity to pass on all our best wishes, please do include mine!

Every good wish

Dave

Comment

• G'day

Please tell Don I feel for him, can only imagine how down he is feeling, and will keep him in my thoughts and prayers.
                                G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Working...
                                X