No announcement yet.

URGENT- Don Souden Has Had A Stroke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm with you Bunny. It's such sad news. I'll send him some postcards from here

Comment

• recovery

Hello Bunny. Thanks for the update, although a tale of recovery would have been the best news.

Have a card to go off today.

Cheers.
      LC

Comment

• Hi Belinda and Lynn. Don will enjoy your cards so much!

An Australian Outback adventure is right up his alley. It will be a challenge to pack for London, Kenya and Australia, but Don will manage. (By the way, are pith helmets and over-sized umbrellas in or out of style? He'll want to know.)

I was thinking about getting him a World map and a bunch of colored pins. I thought maybe they could put it up the wall for him, and then stick a colored thumb-tack in the locations his friends live. But I'm not sure it will be possible in the new ward he's in; they might consider push-pins to be lethal weapons...Sigh.

Don's sister is trying hard to get him moved back to his old ward where everybody knew him, many from before his stroke.

Even if he doesn't get more rehab it will be much better for him to be in a more positive and familiar environment, away from the overcrowded ward full of end-stage Alzheimer's patients. Poor people.

But Don's sister is trying to get him more Rehab too.

It would be wonderful if all of you could send your prayers and positive energy to help her in her efforts to help Don.

Thank you,
        Archaic

PS: I may get to speak to Don again this wkd when his brother visits again (after the big winter storm is over.) If any of you have messages you'd like me to pass on to Don, please post them or pm or email me and I'll do my best. Thanks

Comment

• Don't give up Don! It can seem overwhelming when you look at all that is missing. Remember this, it will never be as it was, and if you do not push yourself in recovery, it will never be better than it is now. Best wishes sir. If I can do it, so can you. On the relearning the walking bit, buy some padded trousers first and use the sneers people give you as motivation. Learning locomotion the second time is quite a different experience. Will his friends let me know if I can help. I have been through this and it is not for quitters, and feels overwhelming. Dave
          We are all born cute as a button and dumb as rocks. We grow out of cute fast!

Comment

• Hi Dave; hope you're well. Sent you a pm.

Take care,
            Bunny

Comment

• Thank You Archaic I will get on this. Today hopefully.
              We are all born cute as a button and dumb as rocks. We grow out of cute fast!

Comment

• Good News!!

Hi everyone.

Finally, some good news!

Thanks to his family's persistence, Don has been moved back to his old wing where he knows everybody and they know him!

I'm so relieved. Don was miserable in the "Permanent Residents" wing. (Such a creepy name, like from a low-budget horror flick.)

And his brother & sister-in-law found out his phone hasn't been ringing, which is why he hasn't been answering calls. It was set to "vibrate". They said Don had no idea why his phone would "jump around" sometimes.

I can't help but wonder if a staffer could have turned the ringer off... apparently Don was the only patient in that whole "Permanent Residents" wing who even had a phone.

Well, maybe my suspicions are unfounded; maybe he changed a setting by accident. But apparently it's not easy to set his flip-hone to "vibrate only". His brother and sister-in-law were unable to reset the ringer; they had to go home and look it up. Now they know how and will reset it when they visit him next; probably Sunday as they both have colds.

Another good thing about Don being back in his old wing is that he will be able to get assistance with simple little things like that that mean so much to his quality of life.

When Don's phone is functioning again I'll call him and read him the new messages from his friends.

Best regards,
                Archaic

Comment

• Thanks Archaic I don't know Don but it is good to hear some good news.
                  G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• That's so good to hear

Comment

• Is his address the same? I sent a card yesterday, hopefully it makes his way to him.

Comment

• Thank you once again for keeping us informed about Don, Archaic. We're so relieved that he is now back in his old ward.

We sent a notecard very recently together with four old postcards of London that were sent over a hundred years ago. Per-Åke found them through the postcard club he belongs to here in Gothenburg. One is of the Monument, one is a view of the Tower of London and Tower Bridge, one is of the old houses in Holborn and the last one is an Edwardian version of heavy traffic on Ludgate Hill.

Love,
                        Carol

Comment

• Hi everybody.

Yes John, Don's address is the same. Here it is again:

Fairview of Fairfield
                          930 Mill Hill Terrace
                          ATTN: Donald Souden
                          Southport, CT
                          USA

Belinda and GUT, I'm with you guys; it's really a relief to have some good news and know Don is back in his old "neighborhood" where all the staff know him, and knew him before his stroke. That's so vitally important.

Carol, Don will absolutely the love the antique postcards you and Per-Ake so kindly sent him!

I'm really hoping his brother & sister-in-law will be able to visit Don Sunday- hopefully before next big winter storm moves in!

Take care,
                          Archaic

Comment

• More Good News!

Here's more good news to be happy about- it's confirmed that Don's sister and her husband are relocating from the West to the East to be closer to Don. She has accepted a job in Vermont, which is within driving distance of where Don is in Connecticut. (I just hope they don't hit that big winter storm that's predicted as they drive cross-country.)

Don's sister is very smart and energetic, knows how to motivate him, and is a whiz at dealing with medical bureaucracy. It will do Don so much good to have her nearer! She will also make every effort to get his Rehab started up again in whatever way is possible.

Please everybody, keep Don in your thoughts & prayers and send him positive healing energy.

I'm very happy Don be getting more cards and letters to cheer him up and keep his mind engaged. Reading cards, letters, etc is more than just a pastime; it's actually neurological therapy for him, and YOU have the power to help make a difference!

If anybody has ever enjoyed one of Don's posts, articles, or magazines, it would sure make him happy to hear that.

Thanks everybody,
                            Archaic

Comment

• Good news Bunny. Please tell Don the shortbread is on its way.

As for stimulus, ask him who put the ram in the ramalamadingdong. That should keep him busy.

Comment

• Good luck mr supe

Comment

Working...
                                X