WS talk "‘Leavesden Asylum and it’s inmate Kosminski’"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WS talk "‘Leavesden Asylum and it’s inmate Kosminski’"

I looking forward the next scheduled WS talk by Martin T Brooks "Leavesden Asylum and it’s inmate Kosminski".

Info here: https://www.whitechapelsociety.com/

Particularly so as I have been following with interest the recent thread on the alleged Seaside Home Identification.
    Last edited by mpriestnall; 01-23-2023, 11:34 AM.

Am I right in believing there is no known picture of Kosminski? Or physical description? I was rather hoping there might be a picture in the his asylum records?

Comment

Originally posted by mpriestnall View Post
      Am I right in believing there is no known picture of Kosminski? Or physical description? I was rather hoping there might be a picture in the his asylum records?
      Nah, Martyn!

I'm sure there are no known photos.

There are physical descriptions on his asylum records, but they really just relate to his dwindling body weight and general state of health.

These vague descriptions may not even be representative in any way of how he appeared prior to incarceration in the asylum.

Sadly there's not much to go on.

Comment

Originally posted by Ms Diddles View Post

Nah, Martyn!

I'm sure there are no known photos.

There are physical descriptions on his asylum records, but they really just relate to his dwindling body weight and general state of health.

These vague descriptions may not even be representative in any way of how he appeared prior to incarceration in the asylum.

Sadly there's not much to go on.
        I wasn't that hopeful but thought I'll ask anyway. I hope to make the talk (in person) and ask Martin Brooks about the question of photos of inmates.

Should be an interesting talk anyway.

regards,

Martyn

Comment

I wasn't that hopeful but thought I'll ask anyway. I hope to make the talk (in person) and ask Martin Brooks about the question of photos of inmates.

regards,

Martyn
          Yeah, that does sound like an interesting talk!

I sometimes wish I lived closer to the Big Smoke so I could attend all this stuff too!

Do please tip your hat at the lovely Crutched Friar for me!

Comment

Originally posted by Ms Diddles View Post

Yeah, that does sound like an interesting talk!

I sometimes wish I lived closer to the Big Smoke so I could attend all this stuff too!

Do please tip your hat at the lovely Crutched Friar for me!
            Sure. I'll even slip of the wagon if I must!

Comment

I recall many years ago Martyn one researcher announced that he’d found a photo of Kosminski (an asylum photo I believe) but it turned out not to have been him. Something in the back of my mind is suggesting to me that the researchers name was King but I could be wrong. What a disappointment that was.
              Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Sure. I'll even slip of the wagon if I must!
                You're a trooper, Martyn!

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post

I recall many years ago Martyn one researcher announced that he’d found a photo of Kosminski (an asylum photo I believe) but it turned out not to have been him. Something in the back of my mind is suggesting to me that the researchers name was King but I could be wrong. What a disappointment that was.
                  Thanks for that Herlock. I supposed my question was a bit naive in retrospect!

Martyn

Comment

regards,

Martyn
                    Hi Martyn,

Please give my love to everyone if you make the talk in person.

While you are at it, you may wish to ask who was responsible for the crime against the poor, misused apostrophe: Leavesden Asylum and it’s [sic] inmate Kosminski.

Horrible.

​Love,

Caz
                    X
                    "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

Originally posted by caz View Post

Hi Martyn,

Please give my love to everyone if you make the talk in person.

While you are at it, you may wish to ask who was responsible for the crime against the poor, misused apostrophe: Leavesden Asylum and it’s [sic] inmate Kosminski.

Horrible.

​Love,

Caz
                      X
                      Hi Caz

I'm happy to pass on your love to everyone at the WS.

Re the poor, misused apostrophe: I ran the sentence "Leavesden Asylum and it’s inmate Kosminski" against some punctuation checking websites with the following results:

Build generative AI into any business process with the secure enterprise platform. Focus on AI-first workflows, not building your own stack.

Result: "No punctuation errors were found in your text."

Copy and Paste your text into the Online Editor to correct Spelling, Grammar, and Punctuation mistakes. Try GLU Punctuation Checker Now!

Result: Site underlined "it's".

Never be embarrassed by a grammar or punctuation mistake again. ProWritingAid will help improve everything you write.

Result: Strikes out the word "it's"

Grammarly’s free grammar and punctuation checker helps you fix punctuation, spelling, and other grammar issues so your writing is polished and clear.

Result: Underlines "it's" in red.

I'm a little unsure myself of punctuation once in a while, so your post inspired me to add these websites to my writer's toolbox. Not writers.com obviously.

Martyn

Last edited by mpriestnall; 01-26-2023, 12:17 PM.

Comment

Nice one, Martyn.

It's is only ever short for it is.

So an easy way to check if you have it right is to change it's to it is, and see if the sentence you are writing still makes sense.

Love,

Caz
                        X

Comment

Originally posted by caz View Post
                          Nice one, Martyn.

It's is only ever short for it is.

So an easy way to check if you have it right is to change it's to it is, and see if the sentence you are writing still makes sense.

Love,

Caz
                          X
                          It's knowing if/when to use an apostrophe after possessive plural nouns that has stumped me in the past.

I've put this link here (https://prowritingaid.com/apostrophe-after-s) to remind me in the future!

Comment

Its a bit nit picky, splitting hair's over apostrophe's.
                            Thems the Vagaries.....

Comment

Sorry 'bout that, Al Bundys' Eye's.

Comment

Working...
                              X