No announcement yet.

Drought Conditions in Britain Prompt Water Restrictions for Millions in London

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drought Conditions in Britain Prompt Water Restrictions for Millions in London

c.d.

The joy of living on an island surrounded by rising sea levels is that we have no water! I believe at least one desalination plant is being developed.

Comment

Ahh yes i remember the bad old drought Years and all the restictions we had placed on us back in 2008 in Melbourne when the sky was falling in all around us, ''water water all around and not a drop to drink''

We even built a desalination plant down in Wonthoggi Victoria, never been used . [30 $million a year to run in maintenance cost tho ]

Thomson Dam 2008 % Full 18.8

Thomson Dam 2022 %Full 93.1

Sugarloaf Dam 2008 % Full 27.5

Sugarloaf Dam 2022 % Full 98.1

# Sourse Melbourne Water.

I recall journos at the time and weather men and women all saying we,d be out out water in 3.5 years

Swings and Roundabouts people . The Earth knows how to look after itself its been doing it for millions of years.
      'It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is. It doesn't matter how smart you are . If it doesn't agree with experiment, its wrong'' . Richard Feynman

Comment

Originally posted by etenguy View Post

The joy of living on an island surrounded by rising sea levels is that we have no water! I believe at least one desalination plant is being developed.
        What we do have is private water companies who put profit over investment. One desalination plant being developed. Whoopee!

Comment

Meanwhile

Comment

In Australia this is commonplace. The 2000s Millennial Drought lasted over ten years. In the second half of the last century water restriction were implemented nearly Summer. That was when essential utilities were publicly owned. With privatisation and an exploding population, the infrastructure can't cope and it is a disaster for all but those riding the profit wave.

Cheers, George
            They are not long, the days of wine and roses:
            Out of a misty dream
            Our path emerges for a while, then closes
            Within a dream.
            Ernest Dowson - Vitae Summa Brevis​

​Disagreeing doesn't have to be disagreeable - Jeff Hamm

Comment

An eye opener

Comment

Originally posted by mpriestnall View Post

What we do have is private water companies who put profit over investment. One desalination plant being developed. Whoopee!
                Absolutely agree

Comment

Originally posted by FISHY1118 View Post

I recall journos at the time and weather men and women all saying we,d be out out water in 3.5 years

Swings and Roundabouts people . The Earth knows how to look after itself its been doing it for millions of years.
                  You'll just have to dilute it, what else can you do?

But yes, seriously, we've had hosepipe bans where I live in Canada for years now. Every summer they tell us odd numbered houses can water their lawns, wash cars, etc. on odd numbered days. But we pay for water here now, I don't know if thats the case in UK, I know my parents in UK didn't pay for their water.
                  Now, we can only water the lawn once a week between June 1 - Sept. 30.
                  It'll only get worse.
                  Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Originally posted by GBinOz View Post
                    In Australia this is commonplace. The 2000s Millennial Drought lasted over ten years. In the second half of the last century water restriction were implemented nearly Summer. That was when essential utilities were publicly owned. With privatisation and an exploding population, the infrastructure can't cope and it is a disaster for all but those riding the profit wave.

Cheers, George
                    "And you tell people this and they don't believe you!".

You didn't originate from Yorkshire by any chance?

Comment

Originally posted by mpriestnall View Post

"And you tell people this and they don't believe you!".

You didn't originate from Yorkshire by any chance?
                      No. Fifth generation Australian.
                      They are not long, the days of wine and roses:
                      Out of a misty dream
                      Our path emerges for a while, then closes
                      Within a dream.
                      Ernest Dowson - Vitae Summa Brevis​

​Disagreeing doesn't have to be disagreeable - Jeff Hamm

Comment

Originally posted by GBinOz View Post

No. Fifth generation Australian.
                        Okey dokey. It was a (probably lame) attempt at humor ie a reference to the Four Yorkshireman' sketch by Monty Python regarding their one-upmanship.

Oh well, never mind!

Comment

Channel crossings
                          Attached Files

Comment

Comment

Working...
                            X