Murder of Nadine Philips in London, May 2000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Murder of Nadine Philips in London, May 2000

Does anyone on this forum remember her murder? I just heard about it tonight on an American TV program, Behind Mansion Walls. I'm dumbfounded that Nadine's husband really thought he could get away with it after publicly threatening her life so many times.

How much news coverage did this murder get at the time? Also, does anyone know the address of the Philips' townhouse in Fulham?

Originally posted by DrummondStreet View Post
    How much news coverage did this murder get at the time? Also, does anyone know the address of the Philips' townhouse in Fulham?
    I vaguely remember reading about this but the newspapers made no big deal of it, shabby and sordid a case that it was. I remember reading a delicious 1950s quote from the top guy at Scotland Yard who was bragging about the wonderful murder clean up rates of the British police as opposed to their American counterparts.

He said he was not referring to 'ordinary' murders such as a man killing his wife.
    allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

Thanks. I remember that Jill Dando's murder a year earlier got quite a bit of coverage, but she was famous.

Regarding the Scotland Yard quote, I'd think that "ordinary" murders stemming from domestic disputes would be the easiest to solve.

Comment

Does anyone on this forum remember her murder? I just heard about it tonight on an American TV program, Behind Mansion Walls. I'm dumbfounded that Nadine's husband really thought he could get away with it after publicly threatening her life so many times.

PITA to get it but(although no actual number)
        Seems to have very restricted coverage

"Despite his efforts he was arrested shortly after police arrived at the couple's pounds 1 million, five-bedroom semi-detached home in Napier Avenue, Fulham, south west London, which overlooks Hurlingham Tennis Club."

"Evidence of the discord lurking behind the doors of their £1 million Fulham townhouse, next to Hurlingham Tennis Club, "
        Last edited by OctavBotnar; 07-12-2013, 10:54 PM.
        We're standing alone inside the night
        listen the wind is calling
        to the dangerzone beyond the light
        and suddenly we are falling
        But there ain't no stopping us now
        I don't know if I'll be back tonight
        It's just a machine inside of my head
        and now all the wheels are turning
        I'll think of the words we never said
        and deep in my heart it's burning
        But there is no stopping it now
        we're gonna make it somehow
        you wait tonight
        and we're waiting for the light
        Into the fire we will run
        into the sound of distant drums
        when you're walking alone in a dream
        on a highway to nowhere
        nowhere tonight

Comment

Many thanks, OctavBotnar. Are you a Londoner?

Apparently, London has >1 Napier Avenue, so I found the wrong one, initially. The environs made little sense, but after mapping the tennis club, I was able to locate the correct street. Beautiful area.

Comment

Many thanks, OctavBotnar. Are you a Londoner?

Apparently, London has >1 Napier Avenue, so I found the wrong one, initially. The environs made little sense, but after mapping the tennis club, I was able to locate the correct street. Beautiful area.
            Nah from the Midlands , just someone who noses around on GSView I'm doing my own extensive murder maps historical and current -9 out 10 i pinpoint exactly to door number /spot - must have done hundreds.If any more you want to know , i'll see what i can dig up
            GSView doesn't give full on view , so try Bing for nice bird's eye view
            More info

Property type: Semi-detached | Tenure: Freehold | Last sale: £2,300,000 | Sale date: 11th May 2001 - Previous sales

This 5 bed freehold semi detached house is located at 1 Napier Avenue, London SW6 3PS and has an estimated current value of £5,850,639. Napier Avenue has 50 properties on it with a average current value of £3,808,020, compared to an an average property value of £966,682 for SW6.
            Last edited by OctavBotnar; 07-13-2013, 05:53 PM.
            you wait tonight
            and we're waiting for the light
            Into the fire we will run
            into the sound of distant drums
            when you're walking alone in a dream
            on a highway to nowhere
            nowhere tonight

Comment

Hi DS

Please excuse my perhaps flippant comments earlier. I did a bit of Googling and have to say that this case is seriously weird given that the convicted husband was apparently the heir to a £30,000,000 fortune.
              allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

Please excuse my perhaps flippant comments earlier.
                Stephen Thomas: No worries. I was just pleased that someone even vaguely remembered it.

OctavBotnar: Have you seen this website? http://www.murdermap.co.uk/murder-map.asp
                Unfortunately, Nadine's murder was overlooked. I had assumed the map was comprehensive.
                Last edited by DrummondStreet; 07-14-2013, 04:34 AM.

Comment

Stephen Thomas: No worries. I was just pleased that someone even vaguely remembered it.

OctavBotnar: Have you seen this website? http://www.murdermap.co.uk/murder-map.asp
                  Unfortunately, Nadine's murder was overlooked. I had assumed the map was comprehensive.

Yes seen that - but i don't know how pinpoint accurate the markings are.Hence i prefer GSView with my owned sourced addresses.