X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UK Breaks Its Record for Highest Temperature Ever Recorded

c.d.

Yeah, it's roasting here c.d.

It's not even that hot where I am in comparison to London and the South, but we're ill equipped to deal with these temperatures over here (due to the proliferation of pale red-heads!!!!).

My cat is LOVING IT though.

She's currently stretched out on her back purring.

She's a heat-seeking missile, whilst I am wilting in the heat!

Comment

Having read and heard about your record high temps over there (and learning that 40C is 104F), I thought I'd ask how everyone is doing.

I spent a lot of my life in Central California, where summer temperatures in the high 90s and low 100s are not unusual, but even so 104F is tough for anyone.

It has been hot here in the US too this summer, especially in the West and South. I'm happy to have gotten my swamp cooler (evaporated cooler) looked at, following up on the workman who did a bad job of changing out the covers a few weeks earlier. The new crew told me had put it on backwards and upside down, and left the vents closed to prevent air getting into the house. Sigh...Thank goodness they fixed it just before our current run of high temperatures began!

Everyone, take care of yourselves, and remember to drink plenty of fluids!
      Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
      ---------------
      Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
      ---------------

Comment

Well whadya know. Temperature back to normal after two days. Of course the BB ("nation shall speak lies unto the nation") Corporation showed the bid red alert blob all over the South of the UK, so that we should all be very afraid. What they didn't show was the contemporaneous big blue alert blob over Norway which has been unusually cold. Perhaps the two averaged out, cos that's weather folks, not climate.

Comment

As the song goes, the only way is up
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Dupin View Post
            Well whadya know. Temperature back to normal after two days. Of course the BB ("nation shall speak lies unto the nation") Corporation showed the bid red alert blob all over the South of the UK, so that we should all be very afraid. What they didn't show was the contemporaneous big blue alert blob over Norway which has been unusually cold. Perhaps the two averaged out, cos that's weather folks, not climate.
            Well. I'll be damned. You are missing the point on so many levels so let's see what we can put straight.

The heatwave was an exreme weather event the number of which is increasing. 7 of the 10 hottest days resorded in the UK have been since 2000, 4 of teh 5 hottest days since 2019. The statistics ae undeniable like the chart above. The only way is up.

The red blob over the UK has nothing to do with the BBC, it is the weather forecast by the Met office. Is is a vaulable public service so people can make preparations. Not everyone's home is equipped to deal with this kind of heat and not everyone is as physically fit as I was at the age of 25 when I was picking pumpkins in Queensland in 40 degrees heat.

Teh big blue alert was as you say, weather. Rest assured that the red blob arrived in Norway two days later.

Yes, the temperature did go back to "normal" but this is of liuttle comfort to the 13 UK residents who died of heat related complications and the residents of the 41 houses that were destroyed in the following wildfires.

But I guess that's all just "fake news" to you......

What I don't understand is this: What have you got to gain from spreading disinformation (in this case, extreme weather events are not a problme if it goes back to normal afterwards and that the BBC's agenda is to scare people into engaging with the subject of climate change)?

Cheers.

Comment

I do not use words like fake news: that's Mr Trump. I do accuse the BBC of sensationalism: spreading fear, uncertainty, and doubt, which is a recent thing. IMHO. What we used to get from them is balanced analysis.
              I agree that heat is not to be taken lightly and can cause damage. It is still relatively rare. A heat wave of two days, with another due for four days, compares with the great heatwave of 1911 with temperatures of 37C which lasted 2.5 months with collateral drought, crop damage, and fires. And let us not forget the great drought of 1976 which lasted longer and killed many trees.
              And finally, I offer the following balanced BBC report of 2005 about the 1990 heatwave:
              "
              1990: UK temperatures reach record high
              A weather station in Leicestershire has recorded the highest temperature ever known in Britain. The figure of 37.1C, or 99F, recorded at a weather station in Nailstone, Leicestershire, is 1 degree Fahrenheit higher than the previous record set in 1911.
              The record was broken on 10 August 2003 - first when 37.9C (100.2F) was recorded at Heathrow Airport, then later by a temperature of 38.1C (100.6F) in Gravesend, Kent.

Weather experts predict that over the next 80 years temperatures could reach 40C.
              Research is continually being carried out to try to establish why average global temperatures have risen significantly over the past century.
              Reports suggest it is a combination of human activity, solar activity and warmer oceans.
              "
              (according to NOAA, the global temperature has risen by 1.7C over the past century.)

Comment

God's way of getting Pommies to bathe more often.
                My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

We have "collateral drought, crop damage, and fires." right now. You can easily confirm this by pulling back your curtains. And you conveniently forgot the heatwave of 2003 and 2019 both of which were deadly and damaging to crops in infrastructure. And this is just off the top of my head but I guess listing those this would probably confirm the trend.

BBC spreading fear? They were reporting on the Met Office's forecast and if I may point out, they were spot on. The BBC is one of the last media outlets NOT dabbling in fear and sensationalism in the UK. if this is your gripe with them, I'm afraid your news sources might be restricted to the Sunday Times suplements (various and numerous ones...) On 15 JULY meanwhile, the Daily Express declared a "National Emergency": https://www.express.co.uk/life-style...safe-steps-evg. Which of course it wasn't.....

Comment

Originally posted by Svensson View Post
                    BBC spreading fear? They were reporting on the Met Office's forecast and if I may point out, they were spot on.
                    If the BBC isn't spreading fear, they should be. The Titanic is heading directly into the iceberg, but the band plays on and keyboard warriors think they know better than thousands of scientists who have spent their whole lives studying the matter.

Privately, many of them worry it is already too late. London and much of the UK may be underwater by the end of the century.

Climate Scientist Says Total Climate Breakdown Is Now Inevitable (businessinsider.com)

Comment

McGuire, W The climate scientist who blogs for Extinction rebellion, and wrote. 'Seven Years to Save the Planet: The Questions and Answers (2008)'
                      McGuire is regarded as a UK expert on geological disasters including supervolcanoes, impact events, tsunamis and earthquakes.[citation needed]
                      Just sayin.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture1.png
Views:	158
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	792351
                        These are the summer mean-max temperatures. Just for completeness. The highest is in fact 1976.

Comment

Just sayin.[/SUP]
                          If McGuire believed in 2015 that we had "seven years to save the planet," and in 2022 now believes it is too late, how is that a contradiction?

And still the band plays on.

And, of course, weather and climate are not the same thing.

Comment

I think I was just sayin an expert on supervolcanoes suddenly becomes a lifelong climate scientist. This could be due to the Dunning-Kruger effect. Prince Charles has a similar problem, as well as a 2.2 in Arch and Anth.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture1.png
Views:	158
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	792351
                              These are the summer mean-max temperatures. Just for completeness. The highest is in fact 1976.
                              so what are you trying to say with this graph?

Comment

Working...
                              X