Whitechapel gatherings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whitechapel gatherings

Hi i see on the internet at some time they the few ?
    would gather at a pub in Whitechapel before the covid 19,
    do they still do this to meet up, and were and when would i find a soluble link.

i believe they use to have guest speakers and such,
    not meaning the "brahms & lisps"

Comment

Here you go milchman

There used to be The Cloak & Dagger Club too but I’m pretty sure that doesn’t exist anymore. I’ve never been to Whitechapel Society meeting but I did attend a C&D club one many moons ago at The City Darts pub which I believe is now closed.
      Last edited by Herlock Sholmes; 06-30-2022, 09:25 PM.
      Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
        yes thx for that . i found this also on google a little while ago.
        i did find one were it was ripper talks mainly about once a month.
        i presume it,s this site but they might not be making evening announcements yet.

Comment

It looks like the 6th August is the next event.
          Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Originally posted by milchmanuk View Post
            . were and when would i find a soluble link. .
            Nice Freudian slip for someone just getting into the Maybrick diary!
            Thems the Vagaries.....

Comment

Originally posted by milchmanuk View Post
              Hi i see on the internet at some time they the few ?
              would gather at a pub in Whitechapel before the covid 19,
              do they still do this to meet up, and were and when would i find a non-proven soluble link.
              For Al Bundys Eyes...
              Author of 'Jack the Ripper: Threads' out now on Amazon > UK | USA | CA | AUS
              JayHartley.com

Comment

Originally posted by erobitha View Post

For Al Bundys Eyes...
                Nicely done Ero!
                Thems the Vagaries.....

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
                  Here you go milchman

There used to be The Cloak & Dagger Club too but I’m pretty sure that doesn’t exist anymore. I’ve never been to Whitechapel Society meeting but I did attend a C&D club one many moons ago at The City Darts pub which I believe is now closed.
                  Morning Herlock,

The Cloak & Dagger Club had its name changed to the Whitechapel Society while I was a regular attendee. Keith Skinner called it the Smoke & Stagger, which was quite apt in the early days.

A pint or three in the Pride of Spitalfields and a Brick Lane curry would kick things off nicely, then a few nightcaps in the White Hart after the meeting, and off to the 24 hour bagel shop in the morning for the best ever hangover cure, before bagging a market stall bargain in Cheshire Street or Petticoat Lane.

A great range of talks and guest speakers, great company, great times.

Love,

Caz
                  X
                  "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

Originally posted by caz View Post

Morning Herlock,

The Cloak & Dagger Club had its name changed to the Whitechapel Society while I was a regular attendee. Keith Skinner called it the Smoke & Stagger, which was quite apt in the early days.

A pint or three in the Pride of Spitalfields and a Brick Lane curry would kick things off nicely, then a few nightcaps in the White Hart after the meeting, and off to the 24 hour bagel shop in the morning for the best ever hangover cure, before bagging a market stall bargain in Cheshire Street or Petticoat Lane.

A great range of talks and guest speakers, great company, great times.

Love,

Caz
                    X
                    Hello Caz,

I probably should have known that but I wasn’t aware that it was the case. I wish I’d been able to attend more meetings but it was simply down to distance and events. I did visit the previous venue The Alma once with a friend who was one of the original members just to have a look at the place but I did manage to get down to one meeting at The City Darts.

I’ve always wondered how many people that I speak to on here might have attended the same meeting? I recall my friend pointing out a ‘name’ or two so people like Paul Begg or Martin Fido might have been there but I just can’t remember. The speaker was Bill Beadle and if I recall correctly he was talking about the Kelly TOD.
                    Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Any idea of the year that would have been, Herlock?

My first meeting was in April 1999 and I only missed the odd one after that until 2011, when I moved to the West Country and stopped attending on such a regular basis.

I remember Bill Beadle giving some really good talks over those years, and we still exchange Christmas cards.

Love,

Caz
                      X
                      "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

I believe that if you're a member you are now given the option of attending WS meetings via Zoom.

I signed up for membership in January and received a zoom invite via email.

I can't recall exactly how much it cost to join, but it wasn't expensive (£25?).

I have every intention of joining in some time, but every time the meeting comes round I seem to be already doing something else.

Still, zoom isn't as much fun as drinking in the White Hart and going for a curry as described by caz above.

Comment

bein were it is ,is parking a problem ?
                          i would thought public transport is obviously first choice ,especially if you have to liquidate !

Comment

Originally posted by caz View Post
                            Any idea of the year that would have been, Herlock?

My first meeting was in April 1999 and I only missed the odd one after that until 2011, when I moved to the West Country and stopped attending on such a regular basis.

I remember Bill Beadle giving some really good talks over those years, and we still exchange Christmas cards.

Love,

Caz
                            X
                            I can’t recall the year Caz sorry but when I get back from my holiday I’ll have a look through my old hard copy Ripperologists because when I last trawled through them I saw something about that very meeting. I also seem to remember seeing one issue with a picture of you in it. What I’ve always found a little irritating is that I recall so little about the meeting. I went to London for the day with 2 friends who weren’t ripperologists and we met my friend Dave (who was a Ripperologist) downstairs in the bar. I seem to recall the meeting being in an upstairs room with the bar on the right as you looked to the speakers end but that’s about it. I only had a coupe or three pints too….honest.
                            Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Working...
                            X