Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Governor Will Sign Bill Allowing Medical Providers to Deny Care Based on Beliefs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by c.d. View Post

Hello GUT,

Except that these are doctors that we are talking about. They take the Hippocratic Oath. I don't think that the provisions of this bill are quite what Hippocrates had in mind when he created the Oath.

c.d.
    Do doctors in USA still take the Hippocrates Oath, I know it is no longer taken in many countries.
    G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post

Do doctors in USA still take the Hippocrates Oath, I know it is no longer taken in many countries.
      From Wikipedia - In a 2000 survey of US medical schools, all of the then extant medical schools administered some type of profession oath. Among schools of modern medicine, sixty-two of 122 used the Hippocratic Oath, or a modified version of it.

So I stand corrected. But I do not see anything in the modern version that allows denial of care based on beliefs. Notice that is says " to all my fellow human beings."

Part of the modern Hippocratic Oath states:

I will remember that I do not treat a fever chart, a cancerous growth, but a sick
      human being, whose illness may affect the person's family and economic stability.

I will remember that I remain a member of society, with special obligations to all

my fellow human beings, those sound of mind and body as well as the infirm.

c.d.

Comment

They're getting at providers not offering things like contaception or abortion or maybe not treating HIV+ people or drug addicts, I suppose. The abortion thing has been mentioned before in connection with Catholic hospitals. Sigh.

I hadn't heard of this one, but its source doesn't surprise me.

By the way, apparently some change is going to be made to the tax rules for religious institutions. Traditionally, they have been exempted from paying taxes if they're a church or otherwise affiliated with a faith. (That's supposedly why L. Ron Hubbard turned Dianetics into the "Church" of Scientology.)
        I read recently they're now going to expect the ordinary tax-payer to pay a sum towards faith-based institutions. That seems... unfair, to put it mildly. I think it isn't decided yet, but I don't like it.
        Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
        ---------------
        Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
        ---------------

Comment

The slope on this seems to be extremely slippery.

c.d.

Comment

Working...
          X