Amazing Archaeology

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amazing Archaeology

I am staring at about a dozen, stiff, eight-foot high, orange-red penises, carved from living bedrock, and semi-enclosed in an open chamber. A strange carved head (of a man, a demon, a priest, a God?), also hewn from the living rock, gazes at the phallic totems – like a primitivist gargoyle. The expression of the

This link was posted by Chris Phillips over on JTRForums. Intriguing stuff.
    Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
    https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/...astern-turkey-

This link was posted by Chris Phillips over on JTRForums. Intriguing stuff.
    wow amazing. thanks for posting!
    "Is all that we see or seem
    but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
    quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Thank you , found that very interesting

Comment

Talking about Amazing Archaeology, have you even seen photo's of this ancient Egyptian object?

As it says, it is a reconstruction of the original artifact.
        A metal wheel?, actually no, it was carved out of stone about 5000 years ago, no-one knows what it's function was.

Here is the original artifact.

The dia. is 61cm or 24".
        If it was cast out of metal it would be intriguing enough, but carved out of slate-stone must have taken a long, long time, and for what?
        Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
          Talking about Amazing Archaeology, have you even seen photo's of this ancient Egyptian object?

A metal wheel?, actually no, it was carved out of stone about 5000 years ago, no-one knows what it's function was.

The dia. is 61cm or 24".
          If it was cast out of metal it would be intriguing enough, but carved out of slate-stone must have taken a long, long time, and for what?
          Knowing human beings, it's the ancient Egyptian equivalent of the dish by the front door that's full of crap.
          Thems the Vagaries.....

Comment

The dia. is 61cm or 24".
            anti gravity propellor

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

The dia. is 61cm or 24".
              Hi Wick.

I have an educated guess.

I could be entirely wrong, but the first thing I thought of was a gizmo for separating seeds.

Have you ever tried to harvest a large amount of lettuce seeds or spinach seeds?

Once the plant is dried, one strategy some of the American tribes used was to crumble the dried plants and set them into a sort of bowl or 'gold mining' pan. One begins with a heap of chaff and tiny stalks and straws, with the tiny seeds mixed among them.

Instead of the painful task of picking out the seeds one-at-a-time, if one shakes and swirls the pan and blows into it, the dried chaff becomes air-born. Done correctly, the straws and stems blow away, leaving the heavier and non-aerodynamic seeds in the bottom of the pan.

I suspect that the Egyptian inventor was trying to create something along these lines. It is obviously meant to spin on a center rod, and it has three areas where one can grip the wheel. The 'fins' are meant to create an updraft as it rotates.

Whether it would work or not I cannot say, but it could conceivably separate tiny seeds from the chaff when they are dropped into the spinning plate.

Comment

Thanks RJ, yes academia is mystified. Was it a one-off, or one of several? No wall relief has survived showing one of these. And, this artifact dates to a time when academia teaches us the Egyptians didn't know of the wheel, having no use for it, but as you say, if that center boss was for a shaft then you have an axle and this device turns like a wheel.
                The raised up parts, the triangular looking 'leafs', or petals, for want of a better term, are not angled as we see in a propeller or a fan-blade so they can't easily disturb the air as it turns or water for that matter. The Egyptians did have a means for separating wheat from the chaff, I think we have wall reliefs demonstrating this, unless this was as you say, a new invention?
                It seems to me that this could have been carved out of wood or formed out of clay, far quicker than cutting, drilling & grinding it out of hard stone. So, perhaps, the durability of stone was a clue to its use as opposed to softer materials like wood & clay?
                Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Thanks RJ, yes academia is mystified. Was it a one-off, or one of several? No wall relief has survived showing one of these. And, this artifact dates to a time when academia teaches us the Egyptians didn't know of the wheel, having no use for it, but as you say, if that center boss was for a shaft then you have an axle and this device turns like a wheel.
                  The raised up parts, the triangular looking 'leafs', or petals, for want of a better term, are not angled as we see in a propeller or a fan-blade so they can't easily disturb the air as it turns or water for that matter. The Egyptians did have a means for separating wheat from the chaff, I think we have wall reliefs demonstrating this, unless this was as you say, a new invention?
                  It seems to me that this could have been carved out of wood or formed out of clay, far quicker than cutting, drilling & grinding it out of hard stone. So, perhaps, the durability of stone was a clue to its use as opposed to softer materials like wood & clay?
                  Id be interested to hear what kind of guesses have been made so far as to what it could have been Wick? As you’ve said, the fact that this has been carved out of stone as opposed to a bit of wood whittling surely means that it needed to have been hard wearing and so subject to some kind of friction or that it was used in water perhaps?

If it didn’t have the ‘petals’ Id have gone for a cd holder.
                  Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

id go with something more along the lines of a mixer-like butter churner or paint mixer. but why the elaborate peeled back leaves? and need to keep the thin rim around the openings? weird.

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

This is an interesting read.

"Ancient Egyptians were the first civilization to master a Solvay-like process for sodium carbonate manufacturing, long before it got reinvented in the 1800's in Europe. The key elements of that process is the temperature control of the chemical reactions (the cooling), and the dome shaped plate necessary for the counterflow chemical reactions to occur in an efficient way, and that plate is precisely what is the disc of Sabu."

Disc of Sabu by Ancient Egyptian Technology (milleetunetasses.com)

Comment

Most of you must have heard of this device.
                        Antikythera Mechanism

Not as old as Sabu's Disc, but fascinating all the same.

Just sit through this video and see what they came up with when the mechanism was xrayed.
                        Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Most of you must have heard of this device.
                          Antikythera Mechanism

Not as old as Sabu's Disc, but fascinating all the same.

Just sit through this video and see what they came up with when the mechanism was xrayed.
                          https://youtu.be/BoS75-0BRWo
                          yeah fascinating. ive known about this for a while. its a celestial calculator Or computer if you will (although manually operated). very intricate and complicated. my money is on Archimedes as its inventor. probably the most brilliant of the brilliant ancient Greeks. and there were alot of brilliant ancient greeks so you know he was a genius.

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

It obviously fell off one of these:Click image for larger version

Name:	19C19AED-7651-426F-BA49-568D0DCDA7D7.jpeg
Views:	165
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	785816
                            They were built in British Leyland in those days so were totally unreliable.

Or it could be for mixing cloth with dyes in a dying business. An attached pole allows the operator to mix the cloth with the dye by pushing down into a stone hollow filled with water, dye and cloth.

Comment

The spaceship is a possible but aren’t you stretching it a bit with the cloth dye mixer String
                              Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Working...
                              X