Ian Fleming.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ian Fleming.

In an autobiography Ian Fleming comments on his many adventures in Jamaica.In at least two of his novels the island is the setting for the adventures of James Bond.My question is,did Fleming base his identity of Dr No,on a real person,and was the novel losely based on events that Fleming himself was part of.I cannot prove it,but information given to me suggest Fleming was involved in a plot to assassinate a very public figure,and this event was planned to take place at Montego Bay on or about 25 November 1948.Any comments?

The only thing that I can see after a quick look Harry is on Wikipedia where it states that Fleming’s inspiration for the character of Dr No was Sax Rohmer’s character Fu Manchu which sounds reasonable.
    Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Originally posted by harry View Post
      In an autobiography Ian Fleming comments on his many adventures in Jamaica.In at least two of his novels the island is the setting for the adventures of James Bond.My question is,did Fleming base his identity of Dr No,on a real person,and was the novel losely based on events that Fleming himself was part of.I cannot prove it,but information given to me suggest Fleming was involved in a plot to assassinate a very public figure,and this event was planned to take place at Montego Bay on or about 25 November 1948.Any comments?
      Hi Harry!

That's an interesting thought!

I enjoy a good Bond film, but I'm no aficionado I'm afraid.

From what I can see online, the plot of Dr No was originally intended as a screenplay for a TV show set in Jamaica which fell through and was subsequently adapted into the film.

The character of Dr No was apparently based on Sax Rohmer's Fu Manchu character.

That doesn't necessarily mean that there aren't more factors influencing the plot, but that seems to be the generally accepted thinking.

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
        The only thing that I can see after a quick look Harry is on Wikipedia where it states that Fleming’s inspiration for the character of Dr No was Sax Rohmer’s character Fu Manchu which sounds reasonable.
        You beat me to it there, Herlock!

Comment

Sorry!

I couldn't resist.

Any mention of Bond and this is what I think of!

Comment

Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

I have found no information that Fu Manchu was Fleming's personell inspiration for Dr No.On the other hand,the character I believe what inspired Fleming was a Jamaican.This person was 6'4" tall,of mixed race.In appearance not a lot unlike Joseph Wiseman,the actor chosen to play the part.Sometimes alluded to as doctor,though the only medical connection appears to have been in Cuba and New York,and that of a minor nature.
              Believed to be,but denied being a communist.Was closely monitored by the military,and believed by the white minority to be in league with Soviet authorities,and ready to declare a Communist state if winning the 1949 election in Jamaica.He did win,but circumstances had changed.The independence that had been scheduled to closely follow the 1949 election,was scrapped,as was the decision to cease stationing British troops on the Island. Because of what happened in November 1948?
              This Jamaican of course was Alexander Bustamante.
              Now,who were the three blind mice? Fleming of course was noted for naming characters after people he knew,and also for vaguely describing from personnel involvement.His involvement with,and fascination with Jamaica is well known.The American's had a base on the island,and a reading of the 1924 naval talks will show their concern at even the British presence in the Carribean,which was centred in Jamaica.With the cold war beginning in 1947 how would they react to a Communist Jamaica.Read DrNo.It's all there.

Comment

I have heard it claimed that Aleister Crowley was meant to have part inspired Le Chiffre.

Comment

Working...
                X