No announcement yet.

London - January 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Ladies! (Pic on its side for some reason?!)

Comment

That's it for the East End!

Our hotel also had some points of historic interest.

Rudyard Kipling wrote the Jungle Book there and rumour has it that Agatha Christie based "At Bertrams Hotel" on Browns.

Conan Doyle was also among the illustrious guests.

Sorry @HerlockSholmes, I did ask if there were any artifacts relating to him (or Agatha) but there weren't any.

I did get these however....

Comment

Roosevelt's Wedding Certificate

Comment

Replica of the telephone used by Bell to make the first ever phone call from this same room.

Comment

Comment

Lounge where Agatha Christie sat observing people

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post
                  Nice images, Ms D. Thanks for sharing them.
                  You're welcome Mr B!

Comment

Originally posted by Ms Diddles View Post
                    That's me just back from a fantastic trip to London.

My friend and I spent three days traipsing round the capital and I explored Whitechapel for the very first time.
                    Congrats! I am finally going to be making it back to London in May and I cannot wait.

It took a few minutes to work out which exit from Aldgate East underground station we were meant to be starting from (the one on the opposite side of the street to the Whitechapel Art Gallery as it turns out!), but once we'd established that, it was plain sailing.
                    Yeah, er, don't feel bad. I will not tell you about the time me and another American lady attempted to find the conference after coming out of the wrong tube station and spent several blocks wandering dazed and confused. We hadn't even had anything to drink yet.

Great pictures!

Let all Oz be agreed;
                    I need a better class of flying monkeys.

Comment

Originally posted by Ally View Post

Congrats! I am finally going to be making it back to London in May and I cannot wait.

Yeah, er, don't feel bad. I will not tell you about the time me and another American lady attempted to find the conference after coming out of the wrong tube station and spent several blocks wandering dazed and confused. We hadn't even had anything to drink yet.

Great pictures!
                      Ha!

I hear you Ally!

I live in a relatively large city, but London always makes me feel like a country bumpkin!!

To be honest I quite enjoy the sensation.

It's fine as long as I don't need to be anywhere specific at a particular time.

THEN it's panic stations!!!

I hope you have as brilliant a time as we did when you return to London in May!

Comment

Ha!

I hear you Ally!

I live in a relatively large city, but London always makes me feel like a country bumpkin!!

To be honest I quite enjoy the sensation.
                        Did you enjoy anything in particular this time that you would definitely recommend? I'm looking forward to a good curry but other than that I don't really have any solid plans. It's been years since I've been there and I mostly just plan to wander and see what I see.

Let all Oz be agreed;

Comment

Glad you enjoyed your time Ms D and I’m glad to hear that the guide was put to good use. Great photos thanks for posting them. I do wish that you hadn’t done all that graffiti though.
                          Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Did you enjoy anything in particular this time that you would definitely recommend? I'm looking forward to a good curry but other than that I don't really have any solid plans. It's been years since I've been there and I mostly just plan to wander and see what I see.
                            If you wanted a guided tour Ally, London Walks are excellent. I’ve been on many of their tours.

We offer 5* rated walking tours throughout London by the finest blue badge guides. Join us for a few hours of discovery, facts and entertainment.
                            Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Hmmmmm!

We covered such a mileage in a short time, so it was all a bit of a blur!

I'm not sure how familiar you are with the East End, but I really found the Edgar's Guide to be extremely helpful as someone who doesn't know the area at all.

It took around four hours (including our dithering around and popping into various interesting shops). It took in all the major sites and other interesting bits and bobs.

I really liked the hussle and bustle of Brick Lane and would be confident that you would get an excellent curry there.

Whitechapel Art Gallery and bookshop was well worth a nosey too.

On another day we did a trip to Highgate Cemetery, which was really interesting too.

We ran out of time, but our foody antennae had been pinging at this foot long cheese toastie below and we were gutted to have missed it.

Last edited by Ms Diddles; 01-18-2022, 06:29 PM.

Comment

Hmmmmm!

We covered such a mileage in a short time, so it was all a bit of a blur!

I'm not sure how familiar you are with the East End, but I really found the Edgar's Guide to be extremely helpful as someone who doesn't know the area at all.

It took around four hours (including our dithering around and popping into various interesting shops). It took in all the major sites and other interesting bits and bobs.

I really liked the hussle and bustle of Brick Lane and would be confident that you would get an excellent curry there.

Whitechapel Art Gallery and bookshop was well worth a nosey too.

On another day we did a trip to Highgate Cemetery, which was really interesting too.

Thanks, I'll definitely pick up Edgar. I agree with you on Highgate. I did that the last time I was there and it was really something. I'm not usually one for cemetery visits, but Highgate is something else altogether. I think that one and the one in New Orleans are the only ones I'd go back to see again.

Let all Oz be agreed;

Comment

Working...
                                X