Looking for Fiction Recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for Fiction Recommendations

I know there is a non-fiction thread but I am looking for fiction recommendations.

This is what I have recently read and I recommend all of them:

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon

Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami

Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman

The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood

All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr

The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah

A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles

Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks.

c.d.

P.S. Don't know why the type in my post came out so small. Hope it is readable. Sorry about that.

Death And The Penguin by Andrey Kurkov. A well written black comedy set in post Soviet Ukraine about an obituaries writer and his penguin. Makes sense once you've read it.

Scoundrels (Vol I - III) Majors Cornwall and Trevelyan. Far and away the funniest books in recent years, ridiculous slapstick spy farce. Contains the only scene in a book I struggled to read, involving an auto erotic asphyxiation mishap. And yes, it's comedy.
    Thems the Vagaries.....

Comment

Originally posted by Al Bundy's Eyes View Post
      Death And The Penguin by Andrey Kurkov. A well written black comedy set in post Soviet Ukraine about an obituaries writer and his penguin. Makes sense once you've read it.

Scoundrels (Vol I - III) Majors Cornwall and Trevelyan. Far and away the funniest books in recent years, ridiculous slapstick spy farce. Contains the only scene in a book I struggled to read, involving an auto erotic asphyxiation mishap. And yes, it's comedy.
      That’s a big coincidence Al. For ages I’ve seen advertisements for Scoundrels (often in a certain magazine that we both like) and have considered trying them so I finally ordered one last week and have vol 1 as my next-in-line book to read. I’m looking forward to it.
      Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post

That’s a big coincidence Al. For ages I’ve seen advertisements for Scoundrels (often in a certain magazine that we both like) and have considered trying them so I finally ordered one last week and have vol 1 as my next-in-line book to read. I’m looking forward to it.
        Yeah, that's where I picked it up from. It's toilet humour in posh accents. As a Viz reader, you definitely won't be disappointed.
        Thems the Vagaries.....

Comment

Yeah, that's where I picked it up from. It's toilet humour in posh accents. As a Viz reader, you definitely won't be disappointed.
          I’m looking forward to it Al. I might even get round to starting it tonight. Tomorrow at the latest. I suspect that come Monday night I’ll have ordered volume 2.
          Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

I’m loving it so far Al. Started this evening and I’ve read straight through to page 153
            Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

I’m loving it so far Al. Started this evening and I’ve read straight through to page 153
              Order 2 and 3 now then! They really are that good.
              Thems the Vagaries.....

Comment

Order 2 and 3 now then! They really are that good.
                Will do Al

Done.
                Last edited by Herlock Sholmes; 01-16-2022, 10:50 PM.
                Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Originally posted by c.d. View Post
                  I know there is a non-fiction thread but I am looking for fiction recommendations.

This is what I have recently read and I recommend all of them:

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon

Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami

Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman

The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood

All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr

The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah

A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles

Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks.

c.d.

P.S. Don't know why the type in my post came out so small. Hope it is readable. Sorry about that.
                  Hey c.d.

A couple you might enjoy based on your recent reads:

Atonement by Ian McEwan

Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro

And if you haven't already read it - Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks
                  Last edited by etenguy; 01-17-2022, 01:06 AM.

Comment

I love Viz, but as someone of the female persuasion, I'm wondering if Scoundrels would also be my cup of tea. What do you think, Herlock?

Anyway, I've just ordered Vol 1 because I have a feeling Mister B will love it, even if I don't!

One author with the power to make me laugh out loud on public transport, in the olden days when I had a proper job, was Tom Sharpe. The Throwback was a particular favourite.

Love,

Caz
                    X
                    "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

Originally posted by caz View Post

I love Viz, but as someone of the female persuasion, I'm wondering if Scoundrels would also be my cup of tea. What do you think, Herlock?

Anyway, I've just ordered Vol 1 because I have a feeling Mister B will love it, even if I don't!

One author with the power to make me laugh out loud on public transport, in the olden days when I had a proper job, was Tom Sharpe. The Throwback was a particular favourite.

Love,

Caz
                      X
                      From what I’ve read so far Caz I don’t think that you’d find anything offensive or unsettling from a female perspective. But then again…..I’m not a woman. I really don’t think that there’s anything that would be an issue. Two blokes who do things like going Panda hunting. What’s not to like?
                      Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Originally posted by etenguy View Post

Hey c.d.

A couple you might enjoy based on your recent reads:

Atonement by Ian McEwan

Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro

And if you haven't already read it - Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks
                        Thanks, Etenguy. I have read Atonement and liked it a lot. I will check out your other recommendations. Appreciate it.

c.d.

Comment

Thanks to all who have responded and for any future recommendations. Happy reading.

c.d.

Comment

From what I’ve read so far Caz I don’t think that you’d find anything offensive or unsettling from a female perspective. But then again…..I’m not a woman. I really don’t think that there’s anything that would be an issue. Two blokes who do things like going Panda hunting. What’s not to like?
                            Sounds good to me, Herlock!

One of my favourite jokes that my late father used to tell was about a man who tried his hand at hunting tigers at night. He was advised to shoot between the eyes, but sadly he was killed and eaten by two one-eyed tigers walking arm in arm.

Love,

Caz
                            X
                            "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

Originally posted by caz View Post

Sounds good to me, Herlock!

One of my favourite jokes that my late father used to tell was about a man who tried his hand at hunting tigers at night. He was advised to shoot between the eyes, but sadly he was killed and eaten by two one-eyed tigers walking arm in arm.

Love,

Caz
                              X
                              Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Working...
                              X