An Interesting Website

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An Interesting Website

I hadn’t seen this until today although others might already be aware of it. Some interesting stuff on here. Worth a look anyway.

The world’s most visited online guide to lesser-known London, with illustrated articles on more than 750 localities and attractions. New pages added often.
    Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Thank you, Herlock, that is very interesting. Reading now :-)

Comment

No problem, I was going to have another look today but haven’t managed to yet.
      Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Merci, Sir Shlomes. I am now inspired to visit the British Library's website to see if a photograph exists of my great-grandfather's birthplace/lodgings, No. 5 Ryder's Court. I cannot thank you enough!! More reasons to stay in bed with an arthritic hip
        From Voltaire writing in Diderot's Encyclopédie:
        "One demands of modern historians more details, better ascertained facts, precise dates, , more attention to customs, laws, commerce, agriculture, population."

Comment

Originally posted by Rosemary View Post
          Merci, Sir Shlomes. I am now inspired to visit the British Library's website to see if a photograph exists of my great-grandfather's birthplace/lodgings, No. 5 Ryder's Court. I cannot thank you enough!! More reasons to stay in bed with an arthritic hip
          I was just wondering if it could have been Ryder Court instead of Ryder’s Court Rosemary (that’s if it was London of course?) This building was built in 1862 and looks like it might have been dwellings?

12-14 Ryder St, London SW1Y 6QB. This space can be viewed on LoopNet. Landmark St James's building with reception facilities. The

I hope the hip’s better soon.
          Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

A hip is a horrid thing to deal with, thanks for your kindness. The birth certificate read No. 5 Ryder's Court. His father was a tailor living in, I think, what was then the West End in London. I sent off for the certificate some years ago but cannot find it amongst all of the furniture and books and papers in my home in Louisiana. And I'm horrible, 'shameless lunatic' at emojis to say thanks. Jeez between 'that woman' who read too much Derrida, Clifford Geertz, and Michele Foucault, and that canaille thread which only lasted for 3, I've only been lurking
            "One demands of modern historians more details, better ascertained facts, precise dates, , more attention to customs, laws, commerce, agriculture, population."

Comment

I recently started to check who was online when I came onto the forum, as some don’t have avatars, and I noticed a lot of names that I hadn’t heard of. People who had joined way before I did and who rarely if ever posted so you’re certainly not alone in that Rosemary. I wonder if people get put off by the sometimes ‘full on’ type of debate? Or maybe they just lost interest in the subject?

On the subject of your great grandfather there are others on here who are far more likely to be helpful as far as genealogical research and information goes. All that I could say is that errors in documentation were far from rare so Ryder/Ryders? I don’t know.
              Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Dearest Sir Schlomes:

Hidden London led me to Edith's Streets which led me to a walking tour and at 0300 CST I went to the British Library website.

Ryder Street was named after a Cpt Richar Rider/Ryder, allegedly a master carpenter to Charles II. Apparently Ryder Court, also probably named after him, was situated the the northeast corner of Leicester Square. I sent an email to the British Library at 0800 and then slept all day. I thank you so very much, sha 'ti bébé. I'm sure if they looked anything like the dilapidated houses on Ryder Street early on, or like Lower 9th Ward shotgun shacks in New Orleans, they were torn down. Now I just need a 19th century map and current decent map of London. I shall always be grateful. :-)

Rosemary's granddaughter

Comment

Originally posted by Rosemary View Post
                  Dearest Sir Schlomes:

Hidden London led me to Edith's Streets which led me to a walking tour and at 0300 CST I went to the British Library website.

Ryder Street was named after a Cpt Richar Rider/Ryder, allegedly a master carpenter to Charles II. Apparently Ryder Court, also probably named after him, was situated the the northeast corner of Leicester Square. I sent an email to the British Library at 0800 and then slept all day. I thank you so very much, sha 'ti bébé. I'm sure if they looked anything like the dilapidated houses on Ryder Street early on, or like Lower 9th Ward shotgun shacks in New Orleans, they were torn down. Now I just need a 19th century map and current decent map of London. I shall always be grateful. :-)

Rosemary's granddaughter
                  No problem at all. Good hunting.
                  Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Aaah, found it Estimado Sir S

Two houses before the Black Swan at 7 Ryder's. All torn down by 1890-ish. He was born in 1846 at that address and died at Wauks River, Nicaragua in 1878. Blessings to you, my inspirational navigator, Sir Schlomes!!

Rosemary's granddaughter and alas, poor Frederick the West End tailor's great-granddaughter. Besos y abrazos (Mum was from Cantabria, Spain)

Comment

Working...
                    X