No announcement yet.

Richard III, Lord of the North and Leicester's Tourist Attraction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Regarding Richard III descendants, that Canadian fella was the descendant of Richard's sister, Elizabeth, Duchess of Suffolk, not Richard. A very distant one too. Its been 500 years.

Comment

As I said, I'd like to know who is funding the "descendents'" legal battle. (I was, by the way, well aware that Richard did not have any - children not funding! - pardon my loose wording.)

York has no claim on him. I reiterate:

a) while a memner of the HOUSE of york Richard was never DUKE of York (his title came from Gloucester);

b) no other member of the family was buried at York - Fotheringhay (Nortahants) was their family "mausoleum";

c) neither Richard's wife nor son were buried at York, though they both died in his lifetime and he could have chosen to have them interred there had he wished). Edward's place of burial is not known (Sheriff Hutton a possibility) while Anne is buried at Westminster;

d) Richard left no record of his wishes re burial;

e) as Duke he never lived in York (though he visted the city) - Middleham was his home and where he founded a college;

f) while he held a crown wearing in York and invested his son there, Richard was crowned in Westminster;

g) Leicester held his remains for 500+ years and would still if he had not been relocated by their efforts;

h) in all that time York made no attempt to find his remains or put up a monument to him as Leicester did.

I could go on.

Phil

Comment

I just always thought it would of made an interesting novel. Alas I don't write

I think it's been done. part of one of those series of medieval whodunnits by Paul Doherty or someone like him.

Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Phil H View Post
          As I said, I'd like to know who is funding the "descendents'" legal battle. (I was, by the way, well aware that Richard did not have any - children not funding! - pardon my loose wording.)

York has no claim on him. I reiterate:

a) while a memner of the HOUSE of york Richard was never DUKE of York (his title came from Gloucester);

b) no other member of the family was buried at York - Fotheringhay (Nortahants) was their family "mausoleum";

c) neither Richard's wife nor son were buried at York, though they both died in his lifetime and he could have chosen to have them interred there had he wished). Edward's place of burial is not known (Sheriff Hutton a possibility) while Anne is buried at Westminster;

d) Richard left no record of his wishes re burial;

e) as Duke he never lived in York (though he visted the city) - Middleham was his home and where he founded a college;

f) while he held a crown wearing in York and invested his son there, Richard was crowned in Westminster;

g) Leicester held his remains for 500+ years and would still if he had not been relocated by their efforts;

h) in all that time York made no attempt to find his remains or put up a monument to him as Leicester did.
          I could go on.

Phil
          You mean apart from the brilliant Richard III museum which has its home in the Monk Bar?

Comment

Katherine Swynford's tomb and that of her daughter Joan (RIII's grandmother) as they originally were:
            Attached Files

Comment

And as they are today:
              Attached Files

Comment

Finally for now a nice drawing from the early C19th:
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Phil H View Post
                  Finally for now a nice drawing from the early C19th:
                  Thanks Phil, for posting these. Its nice to see some illustrations. I saw a drawing of the brasses that were originally on the tombs depicting Katherine and Joan in respectively in their widow weeds (clothes) in Alison Weir's book. Its nice to see more detailed and varied illustrations.

I just always thought it would of made an interesting novel. Alas I don't write

I think it's been done. part of one of those series of medieval whodunnits by Paul Doherty or someone like him.

I'd figured as much, Still I'd like to do my own version of it.
                  Last edited by Semper_Eadem; 04-26-2013, 07:53 PM. Reason: Forgot my reply!

Comment

From the team that gave you Richard III

I've heard York and Rome are demanding the re-burial in their Cities....oh, wait, nope, I was wrong....York have just stated that as these remains are of no one well known, they don't want them....unlike Northamptons Richard....Dick Turpin of Essex.

Take those away, the only legitimate Yorkshireman left is Sir James Saville, and I'm guessing they don't want to claim him.

Monty
                    Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Right for Right, Might for Right

They have a much better right than those who see it as a business decision for the sake of tourism. Right for Right, Might for Right

Comment

Who has a much better 'right'?

Monty
                        Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Working...
                        X