Austrlian names.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Austrlian names.

While searching an old colonial newspaper I came upon an article describing a cricket match between Derbyshire and an Australian touring team.The Australians were described as'Cornstalkers'.Anyone ever hear that expression?

I’ve come across it in Relation to Sir Henry Parkes, a politician often referred to as “The Father of Federation” but no idea of the origin.
    G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Cornstalkers are descendants from a First Fleeter.

Comment

Is it meant to be some kind of insult?

Comment

Originally posted by mpriestnall View Post
          Is it meant to be some kind of insult?
          I don't think so, here's a better definition.
          ​​​​​

The term Cornstalks dates back to the 1820s or earlier, and refers to the children of convicts who were born in Australia (primarily New South Wales) who amongst other things were “taller than their British counterparts and had a distinct way of talking”.

Comment

Thanks,Quite interesting.By the way,the 'Cornstalkers' won by an innings and plenty of runs.

Comment

Originally posted by Astatine211 View Post

I don't think so, here's a better definition.
              ​​​​​

The term Cornstalks dates back to the 1820s or earlier, and refers to the children of convicts who were born in Australia (primarily New South Wales) who amongst other things were “taller than their British counterparts and had a distinct way of talking”.
              Astatine211, thanks for clarifying.

Comment

Working...
              X