X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saw the Movie ... But

I Saw the Movie But did Not Read the Book

The Bridge over the River Kwai

All the Connery Bond movies, not one Bond book.
    All the Sherlock Holmes series, not one Sherlock Holmes story.
    A Christmas Carol movie, never read the story.
    Doctor Jekyll and Mr Hyde movie, never read the book.
    Dracula the movie, not the book.
    All three 'Dollars' western movies, not one of the books.

I do actually read, just not fiction.
    Regards, Jon S.

Comment

The bible
      Author of 'Jack the Ripper: Threads' out now on Amazon > UK | USA | CA | AUS
      JayHartley.com

Comment

Originally posted by erobitha View Post
        The bible
        is the movie any good?

Comment

Originally posted by Svensson View Post
          is the movie any good?
          All a bit far-fetched for my taste. I enjoy a bit of fantasy fiction but there are films with better wizards. Apparently the lead did all his own stunts but it was no Mission Impossible.
          Author of 'Jack the Ripper: Threads' out now on Amazon > UK | USA | CA | AUS
          JayHartley.com

Comment

A Night to Remember...

...but bought the book by Walter Lord recently and I'm keeping it on ice. I think it will go down very well.
            "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
              All the Connery Bond movies, not one Bond book.
              All the Sherlock Holmes series, not one Sherlock Holmes story.
              A Christmas Carol movie, never read the story.
              Doctor Jekyll and Mr Hyde movie, never read the book.
              Dracula the movie, not the book.
              All three 'Dollars' western movies, not one of the books.

I do actually read, just not fiction.
              No Sherlock Holmes stories come on Wick
              Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post

No Sherlock Holmes stories come on Wick
                I know I'm letting the side down, I can't remember how many times I've started a story, just never finished one though.
                I even have the treasured Strand Illustrated volume, as you know it's got them all, yet I just can't focus on a story I know isn't real.

I'm an armchair archaeologist at heart, I want factual data, I have bookcases full of academic papers & excavation reports.
                I entertain myself reading about the end of the Late Bronze Age in the near east, boring stuff like that
                Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Originally posted by Wickerman View Post

I know I'm letting the side down, I can't remember how many times I've started a story, just never finished one though.
                  I even have the treasured Strand Illustrated volume, as you know it's got them all, yet I just can't focus on a story I know isn't real.

I'm an armchair archaeologist at heart, I want factual data, I have bookcases full of academic papers & excavation reports.
                  I entertain myself reading about the end of the Late Bronze Age in the near east, boring stuff like that
                  Im not big on fiction either Wick to be honest. I had a period when I was younger when I read lots of the so called highbrow or classic literature and I enjoyed a lot of it but it’s always been non-fiction for me (usually history based.) The only fiction that I ever read these days are Holmes pastiches (and Solar Pons) My interest in history has never gone back in date as far as yours though. English Civil War, Regency and Victorian have been my main areas for reading. I suppose that it’s because I like my history with more touchable stuff. Things that we have more information about from different sources. I’ve been meaning to get a good general history prior to 1066 though to ‘dip my toes’ into earlier times but there are so many to choose from the I’ve never gotten around to it.

As long as you don’t tell me that you’re currently reading a biography of Beyoncé I can let you off with Holmes.

Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

I have seen several "Moby Dick" films, but have yet to finish reading the book. I think it was the chapter detailing the dismembering of a whale that lost me...
                    Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
                    ---------------
                    Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
                    ---------------

Comment

Harry Potter from the second film onwards.
                      Lord of the Rings Two Towers & Return of the King
                      Ben Hur
                      Gone With the Wind
                      " Queen Vic lured her victims into dark corners with offers of free fish and chips, washed down with White Satin." - forum user C4

Comment

come to think of it, Pet Semetary was an excellent book but the first movie (1989 I think) was a major letdown IMHO. The recent remake however is a blast. Doesn't stick to the original (I'm not spoiling anything here) but it Stephen King's horror stories float your boat, this one is a must.

Oh, and all of the above also applies to the original and recent "It" movies....

Comment

I Saw the Movie But did Not Read the Book

Alfie

Comment

Rosemary's Baby

Comment

Doctor Zhivago

Lord knows why I sat through what felt like several days of Russian epic cinema, but I'm no more inclined to read the book for it.
                              Thems the Vagaries.....

Comment

Working...
                              X