No announcement yet.

Im Lost For Words (almost)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For once, RJ, we are in total agreement.

Attempts to whip up something out of nothing, and get people to express outrage, can come from either side.

Oxford University students vote to remove the image as it is deemed a symbol of "colonial history".

What is the world coming to? Students from Oxford taking down our Queen's portrait from the wall of their common room?

Off with all their heads - all ten of those who voted for its removal, and life for the five treacherous abstainers. Medals for the two brave souls who voted against.

The words teacup and storm spring to mind. Or for those across the pond, teapot and tempest.

"Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

The ‘anti-woke’ news channel had Andrew Neil and Alan Sugar, but no Piers Morgan – and the opening night felt like the furthest thing from appointment TV imaginable. I give it a year

If this is the antidote to wokeness, thanks but I'll pass.

A colleague of mine tuned in just to see what it was like and aside from the predictable dross, was mortally offended to hear the four corners of the UK described as " Northern England, Southern England, Wales and Northern Ireland"!

Hello I think you missed someone!

With the Euro's on, I'm loving my traditional role as English pantomime baddy, but this stuff is really hard to condone.

Am likely to suffer a bit of cognitive dissonance on Friday night if I think about this (and the bigger picture) too much!

Comment

Originally posted by Ms Diddles View Post
        https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-r...y-deadly-stuff

A colleague of mine tuned in just to see what it was like and aside from the predictable dross, was mortally offended to hear the four corners of the UK described as " Northern England, Southern England, Wales and Northern Ireland"!
        Who said this Ms Diddles? Was it one Nicola Sturgeon by any chance?

Comment

Originally posted by etenguy View Post

Who said this Ms Diddles? Was it one Nicola Sturgeon by any chance?
          Nah, Eten!

It was one of my work pals who clocked it on that new "anti-woke" news programme.

To be fair, as an English person living in Scotland, I do appreciate how marginalised people feel up here.

Everything is so London-centric.

The above is not an isolated example by any means.

Traditionally during football tournaments the unrealistic expectations and jingoism around the England football team as portrayed in the media drives everyone nuts.

Weirdly, this time there's a good bit of banter, but people seem to be liking Gareth Southgate's slightly more humble, modest approach.

Well, liking is perhaps a bit strong. Tolerating would likely be a more accurate description.

Plenty of good natured anti-English sentiment coming my way today.

I simply suck it up, then become utterly unbearable if we win!!!

Comment

Plenty of good natured anti-English sentiment coming my way today.

I bet - the Scotland fans are in fine voice in London today. A few more hours and we will know if you are going to become utterly unbearable.

Comment

"when".
              Thems the Vagaries.....

Comment

Originally posted by Al Bundy's Eyes View Post

"when".
                No, right you were. "If"
                Thems the Vagaries.....

Comment

Originally posted by Al Bundy's Eyes View Post

No, right you were. "If"
                  Indeed, Al!

From the noise round here you would think it was 5-0 to Scotland!

I can hear many rousing choruses of Flower of Scotland.

Fair play. They did well and got their point.

I'm quite glad that l was only minimally bombastic in the run up to the game.

Not too much egg on my face for once!

Comment

And now the sirens......

Comment

Sha'Carri Richardson has been banned form the US olympic team for testing positive for Marijuana. Now then, I know that there is the issue of role-modelling and all that but let's be honest, this is in no way a performance enhancing drug. In fact, she should get an award for qualifying for the olympics DESPITE testing positive for M.

I'm typing all this from a little town in North Holland. The Coffee-shops have re-opened last week for onsite consumption and by the smell of it, the locals (there are still no tourists here) have wasted no time in frequenting that particular establishment again....

Finally, she should be allowed to compete because of her hair alone

Comment

Originally posted by Svensson View Post
                        Sha'Carri Richardson has been banned form the US olympic team for testing positive for Marijuana. Now then, I know that there is the issue of role-modelling and all that but let's be honest, this is in no way a performance enhancing drug. In fact, she should get an award for qualifying for the olympics DESPITE testing positive for M.

I'm typing all this from a little town in North Holland. The Coffee-shops have re-opened last week for onsite consumption and by the smell of it, the locals (there are still no tourists here) have wasted no time in frequenting that particular establishment again....

Finally, she should be allowed to compete because of her hair alone
                        agree. alot of fighters in MMA are being punished for this too. its not a sport enhancing drug-more like sport de hancing drug. well except I guess in eating contests. lol
                        "Is all that we see or seem
                        but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
                        quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post

agree. alot of fighters in MMA are being punished for this too. its not a sport enhancing drug-more like sport de hancing drug. well except I guess in eating contests. lol
                          Hahahaha! Yeah!

All credit to this Sha'Carri for putting down the Doritos and getting up off the couch.

That's competitive spirit for you.

Comment

I thought this also fits into the "I'm lost for words (almost)" category:

Trump 2016: “I know more about taxes than any human being that God ever created.”
                            Trump 2021: "They go after good, hard-working people for not paying taxes on a company car ... I don't even know. Do you have to? Does anybody know the answer to that stuff?”

Comment

Working...
                            X