Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can Anyone Recommend Some Good Non-Fiction Books?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ms Diddles View Post

Nah! You're ok, thanks!

If I want to see grey skies and pouring rain, I can just look out my window here in Scotland most days!
    Hello Ms. Diddles,

For some reason I always thought you lived in England. If you are looking for some good fiction I definitely recommend this book. Set in modern day Scotland. Over 42,000 reviews on amazon.

c.d.

Comment

Originally posted by c.d. View Post

You bet!. I am also looking into Charleston, South Carolina which I think I might like even more than Savannah. Check it out on Google.

c.d.
      I just had a google!

Charleston looks absolutely lovely.

It looks like it has great bars and restaurants and a thriving arts scene.

You would need to do one of those horse and carriage tours too!!

It's not too far from Savannah as well, so you could kill two birds with one stone!

Comment

Originally posted by barnflatwyngarde View Post

Absolutely Ms D, today in my area today we had snow!

Re, recommendations of books.......I am reading "Beyond" by Stephen Walker.
        It's about the race between the Americans and Russians to put the first man into space.

It is very well written, and in places it is genuinely jaw dropping.
        I attach a link to Amazon where you can check out the reviews.

Yeah, I think we are in the same stomping ground, Barn!

I saw the snow today too when I was out driving around.

Summer in Scotland, eh?!

Comment

Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
          I have a couple of books:
          https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Su..._of_Mr_Whicher
          and
          https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michigan_Murders the book by Edward Keyes.

One I'm reading now is, The Gunpowder Plot:
          https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gu..._Faith_in_1605

Possibly not everyone's cup of tea, but I found this quite fascinating, the author is a metalurgist, so he knows what he is talking about with regards the copper scroll.
          https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...AJ&redir_esc=y
          Antonia Fraser’s book on the Gunpowder Plot is really good. I’d also recommend Our Chief Of Men which is her brilliant book on Oliver Cromwell.

Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

HH Holmes by Adam Selzer was recommended to me by Wolf Vanderlinden. It arrived today but I’m 250 pages in to a book of 960 pages so it might be a while before I get to it.
            Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
              HH Holmes by Adam Selzer was recommended to me by Wolf Vanderlinden. It arrived today but I’m 250 pages in to a book of 960 pages so it might be a while before I get to it.
              Have you read "The Devil in the White City?"

c.d.

Comment

I read the book by Harold Schechter about H H Holmes.
                it takes a special talent to turn one of the most fascinating cases in criminal history into a turgid boring read.

Comment

Have you read "The Devil in the White City?"

c.d.
                  A long time ago c.d. Wolf said that the Selzer book is the one to read. Apparently he shows that a lot that was previously assumed to have been true wasnt. Jon Rees gave it a good review on Amazon too. I still have 700 pages of heavy going (but enjoyable) political biography to get through before I get to it though.
                  Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Originally posted by barnflatwyngarde View Post

I read the book by Harold Schechter about H H Holmes.
                    it takes a special talent to turn one of the most fascinating cases in criminal history into a turgid boring read.
                    I’ve read a couple of Schechter’s books years ago Barn and remember liking them. The Holmes one wasn’t one of them though. Sounds like one to avoid.

Actually I’ve just checked his bibliography and I think I’ve read 4 or 5 of his. Deranged (Albert Fish) Deviant (Ed Gein) Fiend (Jesse Pomeroy) and Bestial (Earle Nelson) I think that I might even have read Panzram too.

He’s written a lot of books.
                    Last edited by Herlock Sholmes; 05-05-2021, 11:02 PM.
                    Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Antonia Fraser’s book on the Gunpowder Plot is really good. I’d also recommend Our Chief Of Men which is her brilliant book on Oliver Cromwell.
                      Yes, I forgot that one - Our Chief of Men, read that too.

To add a bit of variety, I also recommend a series of books by John Gribbin.
                      The first one: In Search of Schrodinger's Cat.

If physics & the workings of Everything are a bit over-yer-head (so to speak, as with me) this is a brilliant book. Easy to read considering the subject matter.

Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Originally posted by Wickerman View Post

Yes, I forgot that one - Our Chief of Men, read that too.

To add a bit of variety, I also recommend a series of books by John Gribbin.
                        The first one: In Search of Schrodinger's Cat.

If physics & the workings of Everything are a bit over-yer-head (so to speak, as with me) this is a brilliant book. Easy to read considering the subject matter.
                        hi wick i have literally hundreds of these type physics/ science books and gribbins book was one of the first. excellent book and ive read it over about a dozen times. quantum physics is some fascinating stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post

hi wick i have literally hundreds of these type physics/ science books and gribbins book was one of the first. excellent book and ive read it over about a dozen times. quantum physics is some fascinating stuff.
                          Agreed Abby!

I am fascinated by the whole Quantum mechanics thing.

I've got several books on the topic, and it still fries my brain trying to understand it all.

As one eminent scientist said, " if you think that you understand quantum mechanics, it's clear that you don't understand quantum mechanics."

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post

Hi Abby.
                            Not quite as many as you, I had about 4 or 5 of those 'In Search of' physics books, very fascinating. Haven't we all sometimes wished we could've been in two places at the same time
                            Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Originally posted by Ms Diddles View Post
                              I'll third the Suspicions of Mr Whicher.

If you've not already read it, I'd recommend Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil too.

I love that book and it really makes me want to visit Savannah, Georgia!
                              It is brilliantly written. Not one word wasted. I totally agree with you, ever since reading it I have wanted to go there!
                              Best wishes,

Tristan

Comment

Hello Ms. Diddles,

For some reason I always thought you lived in England. If you are looking for some good fiction I definitely recommend this book. Set in modern day Scotland. Over 42,000 reviews on amazon.

c.d.
                                Oh! I had missed this post.

The book looks interesting.

It's £6.99 on Amazon so I'll give it a shot.

I finished Kingdom of Ice last night.

It was fantastic.

Quite heart wrenching in places.

James Gordon Bennett sounds quite the character too!

Comment

Working...
                                X