No announcement yet.

Movie remakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Phil...20+ years re-enacting ECW...........

Comment

In the early 80s I directed a production of the Putney Debates (1648) in Putney Church. The English Civil War Society helped out in many ways.

We went to see a re-enactment of the Battle of braintree (Essex) and afterwards met up with some of the members we knew in the camp. I had the best practical history lesson ever!

Where else could I have discussed the issues of advancing a company of pikemen over open ground, with practitioners? Where else could I have been shown the difference between post 30 Years War dress, and later attire, actually on people wearing it!!?

I also, when about 16, corresponded with Brigadier Peter Young, who founded the Sealed Knot in the 60s. he was an amazing character, a highly decorated wartime commando leader and a wonderful military historian.

Are you Sealed Knot or ECW?

Phil H

Comment

ECWS...And I think I've got all of Young's books..Even now,his sheer enthusiasm shines through!

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
          I certainly wouldn't put any affairs into "Jaws." Let's concentrate on the shark. Also, I wouldn't ruin it with modern special effects.
          The affair was in the book. It led to an exchange between Brody and Hooper on the boat where Brody angrily reached for his pistol on his hip, forgetting that he wasn't wearing it at the time, to which Quint laughed and said, "Ha! I've been waiting for that all day!" Or something to that effect. Anyway, it would make for a great movie moment I think.

Robert Downey Jr. would bring that awesome snarkiness to the character of Hooper that Richard Dreyfuss originally did, and I choose Jeff Bridges as Quint based on his hard-edged and bedraggled performance in "True Grit." I think his Rooster Cogburn and the Quint that Peter Benchley envisioned are not that far apart.

And I don't kow what you mean about "ruining" it with modern special effects. I love it when directors choose to do effects as realistically as possible without resorting to CGI, but it does have its place. "Jurassic Park" used a combination of physically real animatronic dinosaurs and computer generated ones, and the effect was stunning. I think a "Jaws" remake using that approach would be incredible.

Comment

ECWS...And I think I've got all of Young's books..Even now,his sheer enthusiasm shines through!

I wrote to him about what I needed to do to become a military historian - I was about 15, I think. He wrote me back a couple of wonderful letters, very helpful and practical and with not a trace of condecension. (I recall his rank, titles, honours, decorations and degrees went right across the top of the page! he was at Sanhurst then - the only professional military historian of whom I was aware.

He shaped my character a lot I think, even to the extent that I effect a beard today! Do you have "Charge!" his book on C18th wargaming? That was another interest of mine he shared - and it wasn't so popular then as now. he referred to an interest in military unforms as "military millinery" - a phrase I still use.

Phil H

Comment

Hello you all!

How about a remake of Plan 9 from Outer Space?

All the best
              Jukka
              "When I know all about everything, I am old. And it's a very, very long way to go!"

Comment

Originally posted by Phil H View Post

I wrote to him about what I needed to do to become a military historian - I was about 15, I think. He wrote me back a couple of wonderful letters, very helpful and practical and with not a trace of condecension. (I recall his rank, titles, honours, decorations and degrees went right across the top of the page! he was at Sanhurst then - the only professional military historian of whom I was aware.

He shaped my character a lot I think, even to the extent that I effect a beard today! Do you have "Charge!" his book on C18th wargaming? That was another interest of mine he shared - and it wasn't so popular then as now. he referred to an interest in military unforms as "military millinery" - a phrase I still use.

Phil H
                In the Loft,along with Donald Featherstone's stuff...Though I still have some Blandford & Almark uniforms books from that era on the main shelves........

Comment

Plan 9 is perfect - or rather, imperfect - just as it is!

Yul Brynner - the only man for The King And I. Definitely.

Comment

There would probably be a "yellow face" issue with Brynner playing the king today.
                    This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

Well, Brynner looked Oriental to me, to the point that I wondered if he was part-Oriental. If he isn't, then I guess it must be put down to his great acting.

Comment

Was Brynner not from one of the Soviet Asian republics (WIKIPEDIA says Vladivostok)? hence his mongul/slavic look.

He was convincing as a Cossack in Taras Bulba.

Phil H

Comment

Someone should remake 'The Searchers' but have the John Wayne character totally evil, and after saving the girl he kills her.

The Wayne character could be played by Clint Eastwood.

Comment

Of course, there are loose remakes. "Shane" was remade in at least one Clint Eastwood film, and also in that charming tale "The Seven Faces Of Dr Lao."

Comment

And "Casablanca" WAS remade.....as "Barb Wire"......

Comment

Hi Steve,

An even greater crime was Casablanca being remade as a TV series with David Soul playing Rick.

Regards,

Simon
                                Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

Working...
                                X