James Randi (1928-2020)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• James Randi (1928-2020)

James Randi has just died at the age of 92.

Randi devoted his life to debunking woo-woo beliefs and charlatans such as ghosts, mind reading, psychokinesis, homeopathy, Uri Geller, Peter Popoff, etc, etc, etc.

His book "The Truth About Uri Geller" is a wonderful and funny demolition job on Geller himself and the gullible scientists who "tested" him.

I attach a link to "The Skeptic" website which has several articles celebrating Randi's life and work.

In loving memory of our friend James Randi who passed away at the age of 92 on October 20, 2020 we present a classic lecture on skepticism given at Caltech by James Randi on March 22, 1992 at the inaugural session of the Distinguished Science Lecture Series hosted by Michael Shermer and presented by The Skeptics Society in California (1992–2015). With wit and wonderfully illustrative examples, Randi teaches us several lessons on the scientific investigation of unusual claims.

Originally posted by barnflatwyngarde View Post
    James Randi has just died at the age of 92.

Randi devoted his life to debunking woo-woo beliefs and charlatans such as ghosts, mind reading, psychokinesis, homeopathy, Uri Geller, Peter Popoff, etc, etc, etc.

His book "The Truth About Uri Geller" is a wonderful and funny demolition job on Geller himself and the gullible scientists who "tested" him.

I attach a link to "The Skeptic" website which has several articles celebrating Randi's life and work.

https://www.skeptic.com/eskeptic/20-...eid=0f68f2dd10
    I used to have my hair cut at the same barber’s as UG. He bent one of their teaspoons. :-)

Comment

James Randi, his debunking of shysters and conmen is legendary. He was particularly fond of evangelical faith healers.

I wonder if any psychics will get in touch with him in the spiritual ever after?
      Thems the Vagaries.....

Comment

"I wonder if any psychics will get in touch with him in the spiritual ever after?"

That made me smile.

Comment

A very sad day indeed. I admired Randi very much. He was a very entertaining man with a great sense of humor and he showed people how to reason and think logically. He will be missed.

Rest in peace, Randi.

c.d.

Comment

Apparently Uri Geller, on hearing of Randi's death commented on Facebook, "How sad that Randi died with hatred in his soul. Love to you all."

Creep!

Comment

I always liked this quote from him:

“I never want to be referred to as a debunker,” he told The Orlando Sentinel in 1991, “because that implies someone who says, ‘This isn’t so, and I’m going to prove it.’ I don’t go in with that attitude. I’m an investigator. I only expect to show that something is not likely.”

c.d.

Comment

Apparently Uri Geller, on hearing of Randi's death commented on Facebook, "How sad that Randi died with hatred in his soul. Love to you all."

Creep!
                Yeah. Apparently some people get upset when exposed as a charlatan and made to look foolish on national t.v.

c.d.

Comment

Originally posted by c.d. View Post

Yeah. Apparently some people get upset when exposed as a charlatan and made to look foolish on national t.v.

c.d.
                  Absolutely c.d!

Here is the famous clip of how Randi exposed Geller's "effects" as just plain chicanery on the Johnny Carson Show.

Carson had been a magician early on in his career, and he recruited Randi to ensure that Geller could not cheat.

The result is hilarious, and watch how difficult it is for Carson to keep a straight face.

James, Randi, Demonstrates, How, 'psychic', Uri, Geller, Bends, Spoons, And, Other, Magic, Tricks, On, The, Tonight, Show, With, Johnny, Carson, Really, Funny, Seeing, Uri, Squirm

Comment

Oh gosh, how very sad . He has always been one of my heroes.

And shame on you, Uri Geller

Comment

Creep!
                      Creep is about the best that Geller could be called Barn. Not only a complete fraud but a nauseatingly unpleasant one.

Very sad to hear that Randi is no longer with us. The world could do with more ‘Randi’s’ and fewer ‘Gellers.’
                      Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Working...
                      X