The Storm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Storm

Just a quick post to hope all those living in the path of the storm approaching the east coast of the USA are safe and out of danger. I hope too that your homes and possessions stay safe and that there is not too much disruption to your lives.

What Limehouse said
    “be just and fear not”

Comment

Julie, my niece just flew to NYC last Friday for a vacation!

She's unnerved by even little summer storms, so I don't think she's going to have much fun. Poor kid; bad luck.

Areas where our cousin live near Rockaway Beach are being evacuated.

Best wishes to all in the storm's path,
      Archaic

Comment

Originally posted by Limehouse View Post
        Just a quick post to hope all those living in the path of the storm approaching the east coast of the USA are safe and out of danger. I hope too that your homes and possessions stay safe and that there is not too much disruption to your lives.
        A lot of my friends on Long Island are bracing, it's going to be bad. My inlaws in New Jersey have gone up to Middlesex, their other home is in Lavallette, NJ, one end of street is the bay, the other end of street is the ocean. Back years ago waves from both met on that street. They are afraid this storm might have the power to do the same.

Looking across from that bay, btw, is West Point Island, where Joe Pesci has one of his homes. That island is small, very small. Lot of boats in dock behind the homes, that's scary.

Here is a news broadcast, storm getting near to Point Pleasant, town over from Lavallette. Up the coast and inland the rain is supposed to be 8-10 inches, they're afraid trees will come down.

I hope this storm is not as bad as the hype.

Comment

Thanks for the well wishes!! I'm up in Narragansett bay and hope well to all those in New Jersey!!! Gotta stay positive, as the Patriots looked great at Wembley!!!

Comment

Best wishes to the folks over there.

Comment

HMS Bounty sunk in the hurricane overnight off the Carolinas. 14 crewmen rescued, 2 missing. The replica used in the movie.

Paddy

Comment

Battery Park is underwater. And the storm hasn't even hit yet. For those of us in the Southern United States, it's hard to understand why everyone up there is freaking out over a Category 1 hurricane. But New York, New Jersey, Virginia, none of them have cities built with an eye towards flooding. It just doesn't happen there. But Washington DC is a swamp, and flooding can easily return it to that state, New York is essentially at sea level, And New Jersey has a majority of their industry along the coastline. It's like Louisiana, but without levees. So even a major thunderstorm system can be catastrophic on the level of Katrina.

Now, WHY a bunch of coastal states never built with an eye for storms and floods I have no idea. But they didn't.
                The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

Good luck all...

Dave

Comment

Just got home and watching CNN. Looks pretty scary. Our thoughts are with everyone in Sandy's path.

Comment

Pretty sad that HMS Bounty has sunk, I hear they're still looking for one lost seaman?

Jon S.
                      Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Is this storm doing anything to England over there? It's just across the water from NY.

Comment

Originally posted by Beowulf View Post
                          Is this storm doing anything to England over there? It's just across the water from NY.
                          No, not yet. It rained a bit here in the Fens last night - and it's colder than usual for October but otherwise it's calm.

Keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers. Are people able to take their pets to evacuation shelters? I was worried about that last night.

Comment

Stay safe to all my JTR friends on the other side of the pond (including - perhaps especially- those with whom I have 'crossed swords'!). This sort of thing puts all our abstruse Jack based squabbles into context!!

Comment

One killed in T.O. I see

Windy as buggery here, but rain has stopped and everything seems to be holding out, barring a few downed limbs and some power flickers.

Looks like the Lake shields us again, thank goodness. I hope everyone else is safe and well.
                              “Sans arme, sans violence et sans haine”

Comment

Working...
                              X