Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post

bingo.

that were the only intelligent evolved beings in this incredibly vast universe is highly unlikely.
    Intelligent?, compared to what though. The Dinosaurs lasted about 190 million years, we've only been here, walking upright for 3, and look at the mess we're in.
    Maybe any life intelligent enough to come here, must be intelligent enough to stay away!

Regards, Jon S.

Comment

knew that was coming lol
      "Is all that we see or seem
      but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
      quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

As a slight aside, I'm currently reading 'The Massacre of Mankind' - Stephen Baxter's authorised sequel to H G Well's 'War of the Worlds'. Let's hope if we do get alien visitors they are friendlier than the imagined Martians.

If its your cup of tea - Baxter's novel is really good and in keeping with the voice, structure and style of the original.

Comment

Originally posted by etenguy View Post
          As a slight aside, I'm currently reading 'The Massacre of Mankind' - Stephen Baxter's authorised sequel to H G Well's 'War of the Worlds'. Let's hope if we do get alien visitors they are friendlier than the imagined Martians.

If its your cup of tea - Baxter's novel is really good and in keeping with the voice, structure and style of the original.
          Baxter is generally pretty solid, yes. Given that the original work has been long in public domain, though, I'm inclined to wonder how he got "authorization" for a sequel.

Also, I have heard (but have never run across the text), that a sequel was written around 1910 or so, which deals with humans counter-invading Mars, as a sort of punitive expedition.
          - Ginger

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger View Post

Baxter is generally pretty solid, yes. Given that the original work has been long in public domain, though, I'm inclined to wonder how he got "authorization" for a sequel.
            Hi Ginger

Authorization was obtained from the H G Wells estate, and not for the first time. Baxter previously wrote an authorized sequel to 'the time machine' which was called 'the time ships' - pretty good too.

Originally posted by Ginger View Post
            Also, I have heard (but have never run across the text), that a sequel was written around 1910 or so, which deals with humans counter-invading Mars, as a sort of punitive expedition.
            I think a few people have been inspired to write sequels over the years, but I believe this is the first authorized sequel.

Comment

Originally posted by Ven View Post
              so how many years ago did they set off to find us?
              Thats the key. The time needed for the travel....likely using technologies and scientific principles we cant even imagine. I dont rule out travelers at all, but not likely ones targeting earth or any other planetary body. Maybe just explorers, who have the luxury of time and a pretty vast amount of territory to survey. Just passing by.

The historical cultural evidence from all over Earth suggests visitors.
              Michael Richards

Comment

Thank you for understanding my question MWR.. I'd like to know of your "historical, cultural, evidence"

Comment

Thank you for understanding my question MWR.. I'd like to know of your "historical, cultural, evidence"
                  It's Von Daniken.
                  Thems the Vagaries.....

Comment

Hi Ven,

I see proof in the preoccupation with visitors from the stars in many ancient cultures over the centuries, symbolized with relics carved in stone or into or upon the earth (Als reference to Von Daniken). Evidence suggesting that knowledge was gained by interaction with these peoples of the stars, and in many cases, they believed star people started their respective races on earth.

Its only in recent modern times that we can look for things that are far beyond our reach and try and find "sweet spot" planetary objects. And it seems like almost daily new ones are located. The odds favor other life sustaining planets out there and the distances between objects do allow for civilizations out there that are eons ahead of mankind in scientific understanding.

Michael Richards

Comment

Some out there thoughts I will share.

The fabric of space time is something we as humans know very little about. Hugh Everett's "many worlds" theory which was ridiculed in the 60's and 70's is now gaining traction amongst more and more physicists. So what does this have to with aliens? Well if you could manipulate the fabric of space time in the context of many worlds there are two potential outcomes:

1) There no aliens just versions of ourselves from the future touring the past and the spacecarft is actually human technology millenia on. Technology has evolved to the point that manipulation of jumping between worlds and timelines is possible. Tourism of the future. It could well prove that "glitches in the matrix" could cause things like the Mandela effect, what is regarded as supernatural occurances and much more
                      2) Long distance space travel through multi world galaxies via wormhole catapults means what we conceive as impossible distances are not impossible for any civilisation that has mastered the technology

Time is relative to us and is essentially a man made construct. Humanity's timeline in the context of the age of the universe is merely the tiniest of dots on the timeline. There could have been hundreds or even thousands of civilisations been and gone in our own galaxy and we simply would not have any idea.
                      Last edited by erobitha; 08-01-2020, 08:29 AM.
                      Author of 'Jack the Ripper: Threads' out now on Amazon > UK | USA | CA | AUS
                      JayHartley.com

Comment

Hi MWR,
                        And it seems like almost daily new ones are located. UMM No they're not... news.com has all the latest crap ... Planet doomed... Asteroid to crash into Earth, only misses by 500mil kmtrs!!!. No new life sustaining planets are ever found... they just keep saying ... "here's one" ... that turns out to be rubbish... wake me when you find one...FOR REAL!!!

Comment

Working...
                        X