Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Foreign Nationals "Faking Death" in light of Brexit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foreign Nationals "Faking Death" in light of Brexit?

This story has certain xenophobic overtones so may well be urban legend only. However, working in education here in Glasgow, I was privy to the news of an investigation into a lecturer. an Iraqi national who took ill in Glasgow in December then flew home "to die" in Iraq, his family cashing in his life insurance immediately.

Many things apparently did not sit well with the college board who employed him, the suggestion being that a "fake death certificate" industry was alive and well in Iraq and many other parts of the world and that many first generation immigrants were going home and faking death to claim all owed to them as Brexit dawned.

This might be pure hokum. Has anyone any more tangible evidence on any of the above - or examples which they have heard - which might lend these suspicions some veracity?

since none of this actually passes the sniff-test, the whole story sounds like xenophobic propaganda. Issues I have with this:

- Why in light of Brexit? Is this something that was not possible before Brexit? Did Brexit cause the Iraqi black Market on Death Certificates? Is it happening "in light of Brexit" because of the anticipated economic hardship that will fall on this country? If this guy was a lecturer at Glasgow University, I doubt that he was in economic hardship.

- Why Foreign Nationals? What would stop a UK national from going to Iraq and getting a fake for Death Certificate for a few thousand Dinar there and have his UK family collect the Life insurance?

Now I don't necessarily dispute that the story of the Glasgow lecturer happened (because frankly, I don't know), but it makes no sense for this to be a widespread problem in the context of Brexit and Foreign Nationals. Ergo, the story is a right-wing fake-news hack-job.

Comment

I agree, Svensson. Trouble is that it has affected how this college is dealing with the bereavement as the whispering campaign has grown arms and legs. Thanks for the reassurance.

Comment

Working...
      X