Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coronavirus: What Is Life Like Now Where You Are?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coronavirus: What Is Life Like Now Where You Are?

Here in Washington, D.C., the nation's capital it is pretty crazy. The city has pretty much shut down. Schools are closed. Government workers are teleworking. Museums and galleries are closed. Kennedy Center closed. Libraries closed. Many church services cancelled. Sporting events and pretty much all public events including the St. Patrick's Day Parade and the National Cherry Blossom Parade are cancelled. Metro trying to sanitize their trains. Everybody is pretty much hunkered down. Hand sanitizer in stores is non-existent.

So how are you all doing?

c.d.

We haven't got Trump at the helm, so now matter how bad things get, we take consolation in that.
    Thems the Vagaries.....

Comment

Originally posted by Al Bundy's Eyes View Post
      We haven't got Trump at the helm, so now matter how bad things get, we take consolation in that.
      Trump just got tested for the virus. Apparently he has been in contact with several individuals who have tested positive.

c.d.

Comment

But we have Boris Johnson in charge and he's a muppet too.

Comment

Here in New Zealand some festivals and concerts have been cancelled, as have a few school events, but schools are open and other events still running. There's been a travel ban put in place, and anyone who arrives is expected to self isolate for 2 weeks. Not sure how long that will be in place, but I think the idea is for the next 14-16 days and then revist the decision. So far, NZ only has 6 confirmed cases, all under treatment. I think it's an attempt to hopefully identify and contain the cases here without having to deal with new cases coming in. Once it's determined if it is or is not spreading amongst the general public that's here, then presumably something will be put in place to deal with those coming in from elsewhere.

There's still toilet paper on the store shelves, so, for $50 a roll plus shipping and handling, I can get some to you.

- Jeff

Comment

Here in Colorado we are dealing with the expected shutdowns (schools closed, sporting events cancelled, concerts cancelled), but life is still trudging along, for the most part.

The only oddity I can't figure out is that in every store, people are buying up ALL the toilet paper. It's all gone, everywhere you go. How is toilet paper going to help you with a respiratory virus?

Comment

In Oz there is talk of the schools being closed. Geelong Grammar, which Price Charles attended back in the day, has announced that the term holidays will commence early from next Wednesday. Sporting events including horse racing, cricket are taking place in empty stadiums. The Australian Rules football season commences this week and will be in empty stadiums. The F1 Grand Prix was cancelled.

The Home Affairs Minister, Mr Dutton has been admitted to hospital with a confirmed case. Not that anyone is sorry.
              Why a four-year-old child could understand this report! Run out and find me a four-year-old child, I can't make head or tail of it.

Comment

Originally posted by tanta07 View Post
                Here in Colorado we are dealing with the expected shutdowns (schools closed, sporting events cancelled, concerts cancelled), but life is still trudging along, for the most part.

The only oddity I can't figure out is that in every store, people are buying up ALL the toilet paper. It's all gone, everywhere you go. How is toilet paper going to help you with a respiratory virus?
                I was at the shops a few days ago and overhead a couple talking as they looked at the empty shelves where the TP is normally stacked. He said, This is crazy, if they want to hoard something, then hoard something sensible. Like beer!!

I couldn't agree more.
                Why a four-year-old child could understand this report! Run out and find me a four-year-old child, I can't make head or tail of it.

Comment

Having been confined to bed for the last year or so,watching this unfold from a town in the Otway Ranges with about 300 scattered locals is surreal.
                  Given how Colac,38 Km away has handled past 'flu outbreaks,I'm staying put.Medical clinics/hospital will be the first to fold.
                  Strangers in this town are usually lost tourists.Of those, half are Chinese.
                  Ironically,next weekend is our annual festival which culminates on the Sunday with a large celebration at the community center/oval complex.
                  Always reckoned if a worldwide catastrophe unfolded that this little outpost in Oz would be an excellent refuge.
                  So do the Hare Krishnas.
                  "Day of The Triffids" is a favorite of mine. Always had a soft spot for 1970s "No Blade of Grass".
                  This year, so far, has been drought,bushfires and floods, presided over by Scotty from Marketing (our alleged PM).
                  Arrrggghhhhh!
                  My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

Never fear Dave, ScoMo will produce an official government advert that will make it all go away. Unless of course Pete Dutton, the Minister for Everything has not already infected him.

BTW, as you are living in the Otways, we are not so far from each other.

Comment

I'm receiving $750 in a few weeks

Meh,we'll have the Haris erect a roadblock at Bambra!
                      Many of us up here hail from Hawthorn,especially Scotch College and Ruyton.
                      Carna Hawks!

Comment

Originally posted by John Wheat View Post

But we have Boris Johnson in charge and he's a muppet too.
                        John, I don't know how you could even suggest such a comparison. Trump's an over privileged, self centred egotist who's spent his whole life insulated by wealth and social status, all while sporting a stupid haircut, where as Boris.......oh.
                        Thems the Vagaries.....

Comment

I live in Kentucky and here, there are now 14 cases in our Commonwealth. The grocery stores are being cleaned out. Toilet paper, hand sanitizer, meat, milk and bread have been rare commodities this past couple of weeks and there has been price gouging.
                          I was at a grocery store a few days ago and I took out my cellphone and took a picture of the empty shelves to send my mother. I was promptly approached by the store manager and I was told that I can't take pictures there and if I continued they would 'confiscate my phone.' I put my phone in my pocket and asked why and the manager informed me I could 'cause a panic.' I replied: 'it's little too late for me to cause a panic if you haven't noticed.' The line stretched to the end of store and even after I made my purchases the parking lot was jammed with people looking for spaces. I had wait 10 minutes or so before the guy behind my car was able to pull up enough to let me out.
                          If the Corona Virus doesn't get me I'm sure the people will ;-)

Comment

John, I don't know how you could even suggest such a comparison. Trump's an over privileged, self centred egotist who's spent his whole life insulated by wealth and social status, all while sporting a stupid haircut, where as Boris.......oh.
                            Boris taught at Timbertop/Geelong Grammar ,where Prince Charles was a boarder.

All campuses now closed due to the virus.

Comment

So far, schools are kept open here in Sweden although our neighbours in Denmark and Norway have closed them down. Here too, people seem to equate toilet paper with a remedy for the virus. We have around a thousand cases that are official and probably many more that are not. And we have all sorts of businesses (but for toilet paper production) grinding to a halt as people seem more or less paralyzed; itīs limbo time and people are awaiting their turn to jump, it seems.

Comment

Working...
                              X