X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Request for info x 2 please...

Hi All,

Request for 2 bits of info please:

In Tom Wescott's book he mentions two books without naming them, both published in 2015.

He states that both authors argue for Packers credibility. One book I know is Bruce Robinson's
    "They All Love Jack".

Can someone please let me know the name of the other author/book?

Apropos of nothing, just curious.

Across Hanbury Street there's a concrete rail bridge, with another crumbly brick remnant of a rail bridge several yards down.

Can someone please let me know the name of the rail line, where the line run to/from, back in 1888 (assuming it was extant then).

Many thanks,

Martyn

Originally posted by mpriestnall View Post
    Hi All,

In Tom Wescott's book he mentions two books without naming them, both published in 2015.

He states that both authors argue for Packers credibility. One book I know is Bruce Robinson's
    "They All Love Jack".

The other book is possibly Deconstructing Jack by Simon Wood.

JM

Comment

Originally posted by jmenges View Post

The other book is possibly Deconstructing Jack by Simon Wood.

JM
      Hi JM.

Thank you.

That's interesting...I have the book so I'll check it out.

Simon?

++

I'm pretty sure the top met police knew who BSM was and covered up for him (and later Astrakhan Man).

So the idea of the top met police discrediting/disingenuously discounting Packer rather than Packer being really unreliable in his evidence, fits in with my view of a cover up.

Martyn

Comment

Hi All,

"They All Love Jack".

Apropos of nothing, just curious.

Across Hanbury Street there's a concrete rail bridge, with another crumbly brick remnant of a rail bridge several yards down.

Can someone please let me know the name of the rail line, where the line run to/from, back in 1888 (assuming it was extant then).

Many thanks,

Martyn

Hi Martyn, can you clarify where your seeing these bridges? There very much were railway lines in the area at that time, but not around Hanbury St as far as I can see?
        Thems the Vagaries.....

Comment

Hi Albundy's Eyes

I took note of a road off Hanbury Street, near the concrete bridge (and the brick remnant of a bridge) as a marker.

Namely, Grimsbry Road/Street. (Not sure of the exact spelling).

Just a had quick look on google maps but couldn't see it.

Martyn

Comment

Originally posted by Al Bundy's Eyes View Post

Hi Martyn, can you clarify where your seeing these bridges? There very much were railway lines in the area at that time, but not around Hanbury St as far as I can see?
            Sorry, forgot to quote your post. See my post #5 for my reply.

Comment

Don't know if this helps.
              RIBA Architects MTA designed an innovative contemporary residential new build mixed use schemewith a commercial ground floor in Tower hamlets. Click here.

Comment

Grimsby Street, E.2 runs off Brick Lane, but it’s quite a bit further north than Hanbury Street - in Bethnal Green, I think.

Comment

Hi Mr Priestnall,

That old bridge was originally a siding of the Bishopsgate Goods Yard, opened around 1840. It was opened by Eastern Countries Railway, which started in 1836. They merged at the time of the "big four" into Great Eastern. The concrete bridge is interesting, as the goods yard burnt down in 1964, and Shoreditch High St Station which it now serves was developed in the 2000's, I imagine it was fairly new when the yard closed?
                  Its a reasonable assumption that Sarah Lewis passed under this bridge on her way to Spitalfields Market, possibly seeing Annie Chapman the morning of her murder.
                  Hope that helps.
                  Thems the Vagaries.....

Comment

Hi Martyn, in Ripper Confidential, I was definitely referring to Simon Wood's book, but I'm not entirely sure the other book would have been They All Love Jack. Did that come out in 2015? If so, then yes, that was probably it. Regarding Packer, the police didn't discredit him so much as he discredited himself repeatedly as I lay out in my Packer Chapter.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Hi Albundy's Eyes

I took note of a road off Hanbury Street, near the concrete bridge (and the brick remnant of a bridge) as a marker.

Namely, Grimsbry Road/Street. (Not sure of the exact spelling).
                      For info, Grimsby Road was known as St John Road at the time;

Comment

Hi All,

Robert, MrBarnett, my bad as you youngsters say, it must have been Brick Lane. Thanks for the links.

Martyn

Comment

Originally posted by Al Bundy's Eyes View Post
                          Hi Mr Priestnall,

That old bridge was originally a siding of the Bishopsgate Goods Yard, opened around 1840. It was opened by Eastern Countries Railway, which started in 1836. They merged at the time of the "big four" into Great Eastern. The concrete bridge is interesting, as the goods yard burnt down in 1964, and Shoreditch High St Station which it now serves was developed in the 2000's, I imagine it was fairly new when the yard closed?
                          Its a reasonable assumption that Sarah Lewis passed under this bridge on her way to Spitalfields Market, possibly seeing Annie Chapman the morning of her murder.
                          Hope that helps.
                          Hi Al Bundy, thanks for the info. Appreciate it.

As I was walking pass the bridge, I had the very fanciful (if not very original) idea if JTR made his escape by the railway line. I blame the winter sun!

Cheers,

Martyn

Comment

Originally posted by Joshua Rogan View Post

For info, Grimsby Road was known as St John Road at the time;

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoo...layers=163&b=1
                            Thanks Joshua.

I've booked that website for future ref.

Martyn

Comment

... as I lay out in my Packer Chapter.

Is it just me or does that sound dirty for some reason? Probably just me.

c.d.

Comment

Working...
                              X