Scrooge!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scrooge!

1951 version -colorized-with Alastair Sim is the best version! just got my new dvd since i wore out the old one.
    fight me!

Never seen a colorized film that bettered the black and white version. Including Scroge.
    These are not clues, Fred.
    It is not yarn leading us to the dark heart of this place.
    They are half-glimpsed imaginings, tangle of shadows.
    And you and I floundering at them in the ever vainer hope that we might corral them into meaning when we will not.
    We will not.

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
      1951 version -colorized-with Alastair Sim is the best version! just got my new dvd since i wore out the old one.
      fight me!
      Hey Abby!

Love it, though the B/W comes across more genuine to me. Watch it very year, it drives the missus round the bend.

By the way there's a new version, a modern remake with a different take on the story, it was on FX last night (Thurs). Visual effects were good but it strayed too much from the original storyline for me.

Regards...
      Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Agree that it is the definitive version. An incredible performance from Alistair Sim. However, I think the movie is much more powerful in black and white. Colorizing old classic movies is an abomination against God and nature. Anyone involved in it should be publicly beaten, killed and will hopefully spend eternity in hell.

Dickens also should receive credit for a masterful story. He pulls no punches and gives Scrooge both barrels right between the eyes.

A great movie.

c.d.

Comment

Originally posted by c.d. View Post
          Agree that it is the definitive version. An incredible performance from Alistair Sim. However, I think the movie is much more powerful in black and white. Colorizing old classic movies is an abomination against God and nature. Anyone involved in it should be publicly beaten, killed and will hopefully spend eternity in hell.

Dickens also should receive credit for a masterful story. He pulls no punches and gives Scrooge both barrels right between the eyes.

A great movie.

c.d.
          hi cd
          it is the only movie in black and white that i favor the colorized version. it gives it a kind of old christmas card feel

Comment

No one thinks The Muppets did the definitive version?
            Thems the Vagaries.....

Comment

Originally posted by Al Bundy's Eyes View Post
              No one thinks The Muppets did the definitive version?
              I'm with you, Al!

I love the Alistair Sim version, but you can't top Michael Caine serenading a bit of green felt on a stick.

I love " Jacob & Robert Marley " too.

The Muppets are always a highlight of my festive viewing!

Comment

Don't wish to appear pedantic, but the 1951 version of the Dickens story, with Alastair Sim as Ebenezer Scrooge, was called "A Christmas Carol", which is the title of the Dickens story, and not "Scrooge". I thought the 'star' of the film was Michael Hordern as Marley. And I agree that the b&w original has far more atmos than the colorized version. Just out of interest, the earliest movie manifestation of the story than I can find is the 1938 production with Reginald Owen (who he?) as Scrooge. Never seen it - has anyone?

G
                We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

Graham-- Too pedantic. In the US it's A Christmas Carol. In the UK it's Scrooge. I just looked at your location. Midlands. Did you live in the US for a part of your life?

There were 5 versions before the one you mentioned. Scroll to the bottom of the wiki page linked and look under films.

The story is all about good vs evil. Extremes. That's why it's better in black and white. For example Scrooge's eyes. In b&w they are black. In the colour version they're not.

Alistair Sim and Michael Hordern are in a short (25 minute) animated version from 1971 as well.

The World's greatest animator has passed away (August 15, 2019). Rest In Peace Richard Williams. The excellent 1971 animated version of the Charles Dicken...
                  Last edited by Ozzy; 12-21-2019, 01:22 PM.
                  And you and I floundering at them in the ever vainer hope that we might corral them into meaning when we will not.
                  We will not.

Comment

Sozzy Orry - whoops, I meant Sorry Ozzy - the 1951 Alastair Sim film was called A Christmas Carol. However, the colorized version - which by coincidence is on the box this afernoon - is indeed called Scrooge - A Christmas Carol. I shan't watch it - it really should be in black-and-white. I'll tell you why the word 'Scrooge' is appended - because little uneducated twerps in this day and age wouldn't know what 'A Christmas Carol' connotes - Dickens it seems is very non-PC these days, at least in the country of his origin.

I said that the 1938 version is the earliest I could find - I thank you for pointing out the much earlier versions. I loved the oooh-so-scary spook in the photo - a bit-part actor inside a bedsheet! I bet there were gasps and screams from the audience, louder even than the tinkling piano accompaniemt.

And yes, I did spend some time in the USA. In Ohio, in fact, but never mind - I had no choice of where in the US I lived, as my then-employer sent me there for an extended contract. Do I detect the albeit-slight possibility that you may know me?

Graham
                    We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

A heads up for those who don't like the colourisation, simply turn off the colour on your TV.
                      Why a four-year-old child could understand this report! Run out and find me a four-year-old child, I can't make head or tail of it.

Comment

There’s a new version of A Christmas Carol, a 3-part mini-series written by Steven Knight (no, not him - the writer of Peaky Blinders), starting tonight on BBC1 at 9.00.

Comment

Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post
                          There’s a new version of A Christmas Carol, a 3-part mini-series written by Steven Knight (no, not him - the writer of Peaky Blinders), starting tonight on BBC1 at 9.00.
                          Yes, I think thats the one I mentioned in post #3, it's repeated on FX channel over here (US & Can) right now. This is the full length movie, 2hrs or so. I think my expectations were too high because I like the story but I was disappointed with this version.
                          Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Originally posted by Wickerman View Post

Yes, I think thats the one I mentioned in post #3, it's repeated on FX channel over here (US & Can) right now. This is the full length movie, 2hrs or so. I think my expectations were too high because I like the story but I was disappointed with this version.
                            Ah, I hadn’t realised it had already been shown in the in the US & Can.

I caught some of it last night and wasn’t overly impressed with what I saw. I’m recording all three episodes and will give it another go when I have the time.

Comment

I've always known the b&w version to be called Scrooge. wiki says Scrooge but it's not the best place to go for facts, and that's a fact.

I only have the b&w version. I just fired it up. At the start, after Renown Pictures etc logo, is a piece of film where somebody's hand is persusing Dickens' books and takes out the book "A Christmas Carol", over which we get "GEORGE MINTER presents", followed by "ALISTAIR SIM as" followed by "SCROOGE Adapted from Charles Dickens' "A CHRISTMAS CAROL"". Next come the films credits, and finally, as the film starts come the words "A CHRISTMAS CAROL STAVE ONE MARLEY'S GHOST".

Now, after checking the film itself, I don't think it's possible to come down either way. Could it be that it's called A Christmas Carol but Sim's performance was so good that here in the UK the public came to name the film Scrooge because of his performance? The part at the start that I mentioned, "SCROOGE Adapted from Charles Dickens' "A CHRISTMAS CAROL"" probably didn't help.

The IMDB call it Scrooge.

The BFI call it Scrooge.
                              Alastair Sim's definitive portrayal of Charles Dickens' curmudgeon

The director, Brian Desmond Hurst, has a website although it's quite old. Some of it uses Adobe Flash which is on it's way out. Anyway, it says there "Most recognised for his internationally acclaimed and iconic Christmas classic Scrooge/ A Christmas Carol (1951)."

How will it be shown on TV? I hate it when old 4:3 ratio content is cropped these days to a 16:9 ratio to accomodate for today's TVs.

Lastly, Happy Christmas all.
                              We will not.

Comment

Working...
                              X