Amazing...but true!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amazing....but true.
    Black cattle painted in a zebra stripe pattern will receive fewer fly bites when pastured outside. They actually announced this recently!
    Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
    ---------------
    Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
    ---------------

Comment

Originally posted by c.d. View Post
      Doctors from the Center for Marital and Sexual Studies in California have recorded the case of one woman who enjoyed — or endured, rather — 134 orgasms over the course of an hour.
      I told her to keep quiet about that.

Comment

As a kid I managed to get myself accidently pictured in a postcard of Looe Harbour, Cornwall. Amazing but true....

Kid top left:

I'm still waiting for my royalties...

Martyn

Comment

Total amount of beer consumed at the 2018 Oktoberfest in Munich -- a record 7.5 million Liters.

Amazing....but true.

Comment

Originally posted by Harry D View Post

I told her to keep quiet about that.
            Hello Harry,

I think you may have misunderstood the title of this thread. It is amazing...but true. Not amazing...and I wish to God it were true.

c.d.

Comment

Maybe more 'quite interesting' than Amazing...but true, but I recently discovered that mobile homes are so called because they were originally produced by a company in the town of Mobile, Alabama, rather than the fact that they are...well, mobile.

Comment

Originally posted by Purkis View Post
                Maybe more 'quite interesting' than Amazing...but true, but I recently discovered that mobile homes are so called because they were originally produced by a company in the town of Mobile, Alabama, rather than the fact that they are...well, mobile.
                none of the mobile homes ive seen look very mobile lol

Comment

They're apparently expecting a hurricane at present (if "Nestor" develops as they fear) so sadly, mobility might be more of an issue than you think...

Comment

Originally posted by Purkis View Post
                    Fascinating stuff. I don't think the Mobile company was the original maker, though, because before they were called mobile homes, they were known as "trailer houses"... (not particularly) amazing, but true.
                    Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Experiments with particles known as muons suggest that there are forms of matter and energy vital to the nature and evolution of the cosmos that are not yet known to science.

This article from the New York Times details something odd physicists have discovered recently: Some the tiniest particles in the universe are no longer behaving in the way they have been observed to behave. This may mean that The Laws of Physics aren't hard and fast. If so, is the Universe stable??

Amazing... but true.

(Hello, all. I have been away for a long time, had a lousy 2020, but have wandered back to the forum. [Waves])
                      ---------------
                      Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
                      ---------------

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
                        This fact might be classed as more sad than true but I only found this out around two weeks ago. If you recall before the Good Friday Agreement TV stations would not use the voice of Sinn Fein leader Gerry Adams. They showed him talking but his words were always read out by an actor. The actor was Paul Loughran who played Butch Dingle on TV in Emmerdale.

Apologies to non-UK posters on this one.
                        and who sounded exactly like Gerry Adams anyways..

Comment

I guess the moral here is don't believe the book's cover-- or the inscription on the sarcophagus. A mummy of a "male priest" turns out to be that of a pregnant woman, perhaps the first discovered.

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/wor...4wm-story.html
                          Last edited by Pcdunn; 05-02-2021, 06:37 PM. Reason: Added more information
                          ---------------
                          ---------------

Comment

Another story on the mummy who was a "Mum"...
                            ---------------
                            ---------------

Comment

Sailing through the smooth waters of vacuum, a photon of light moves at around 300 thousand kilometers (186 thousand miles) a second.

Physicists at the Lawrence Livermore Lab have discovered that pulses of light inside plasma can go both slower than the standard speed of light-- and faster. This means improved lasers may be possible, perhaps even helping with clean fusion.
                              ---------------
                              ---------------

Comment

Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post
                                https://www.sciencealert.com/pulses-...-inside-plasma

Physicists at the Lawrence Livermore Lab have discovered that pulses of light inside plasma can go both slower than the standard speed of light-- and faster. This means improved lasers may be possible, perhaps even helping with clean fusion.
                                fascinating but not sure i understand. while light can be slowed down, such as passing through a medium, it cant cant go faster than the speed of light when traveling through space/medium of any kind.

The only loop hole ive heard of is the possibility of the universe as a whole expanding faster than the speed of light and the quantum affect of entanglement, where a measurement on one entangled particle instantaneously has an affect on the other entangled particle (Einsteins spooky action at a distance). But this is can be possibly explained by a change in one part of a system (the entangled particles) affects the whole system immediately-but no info is actually traveling from one particle to the other at faster than light.

Comment

Working...
                                X