Amazing...but true!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amazing...but true!

I read today that Lennard Pearce, who played Grandad in Only Fools met and shook hands with Adolf Hitler! Amazing...but true.
    Anyone got more nuggets to share? All I ask is they be Amazing...but true.
    ( Note: for maximum enjoyment of this thread, it's essential to put a mental dramatic pause in Amazing... but true )
    Thems the Vagaries.....

The Mars bar was actually named after the man who invented it; Forrest Mars, rather than the planet Mars.
    Amazing...but true.
    JtRmap.com<< JtR Interactive Map
    JtRmap FORM << Use this form to make suggestions for map annotations
    ---------------------------------------------------
    JtR3d.com << JtR 3D & #VR Website
    ---------------------------------------------------

Comment

This fact might be classed as more sad than true but I only found this out around two weeks ago. If you recall before the Good Friday Agreement TV stations would not use the voice of Sinn Fein leader Gerry Adams. They showed him talking but his words were always read out by an actor. The actor was Paul Loughran who played Butch Dingle on TV in Emmerdale.

Apologies to non-UK posters on this one.
      Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
        This fact might be classed as more sad than true but I only found this out around two weeks ago. If you recall before the Good Friday Agreement TV stations would not use the voice of Sinn Fein leader Gerry Adams. They showed him talking but his words were always read out by an actor. The actor was Paul Loughran who played Butch Dingle on TV in Emmerdale.

Apologies to non-UK posters on this one.

Amazing...but true
        Thems the Vagaries.....

Comment

Most Orgasms in One Hour

Doctors from the Center for Marital and Sexual Studies in California have recorded the case of one woman who enjoyed — or endured, rather — 134 orgasms over the course of an hour. The record holder for males? Just 16.

Honorable Mention: the official longest orgasm was recorded in 1966, when a woman had a 45-second orgasm that involved 25 individual contractions.

Amazing...but true.

c.d.

P.S. On a personal note I still remember the woman who told me I was a lousy lover. I responded how can you make a determination like that in just two minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by c.d. View Post
            Most Orgasms in One Hour

Doctors from the Center for Marital and Sexual Studies in California have recorded the case of one woman who enjoyed — or endured, rather — 134 orgasms over the course of an hour. The record holder for males? Just 16.

Honorable Mention: the official longest orgasm was recorded in 1966, when a woman had a 45-second orgasm that involved 25 individual contractions.

Amazing...but true.

c.d.

P.S. On a personal note I still remember the woman who told me I was a lousy lover. I responded how can you make a determination like that in just two minutes.
            Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Atoms consist overwhelmingly of empty space. If we could remove the empty space from the atoms of every person on earth, all seven billion of us would fit into a volume about the size of a tennis ball.

Amazing... but true.
              Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Here's another mind-boggler from the world of physics. How old is the light of the sun by the time it reaches Earth? If you said "about 8 minutes, because that's how long it takes light to cross the distance from the Sun to our planet", award yourself a point.

However, give yourself extra points if you said "100,000 years or more". That's how long it takes the light, which originates in nuclear reactions at the core, to reach the Sun's glowing outer surface. This isn't because the Sun is particularly big, but because the photons bounce around the inner layers of our star for tens of thousands of years before they can escape.

Amazing... but true.
                Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

I love the world of Quantum Physics. And Quantum Leap, that was good too.
                  Thems the Vagaries.....

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
                    Here's another mind-boggler from the world of physics. How old is the light of the sun by the time it reaches Earth? If you said "about 8 minutes, because that's how long it takes light to cross the distance from the Sun to our planet", award yourself a point.

However, give yourself extra points if you said "100,000 years or more". That's how long it takes the light, which originates in nuclear reactions at the core, to reach the Sun's glowing outer surface. This isn't because the Sun is particularly big, but because the photons bounce around the inner layers of our star for tens of thousands of years before they can escape.

Amazing... but true.
                    Those physic facts are mind blowing Sam. I read one once that was something like this. If you places two balls 30 yards apart in England which stood for the sun and the earths 93 million miles where would the next nearest star be. I think the answer was India!
                    Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Atoms consist overwhelmingly of empty space. If we could remove the empty space from the atoms of every person on earth, all seven billion of us would fit into a volume about the size of a tennis ball.

Amazing... but true.
                      yes the world of the very small, the quantum world is very strange. Ive been able to wrap my head around most of the quantum zaniness-entanglement, wave/particle duality, the experiment with two holes, uncertainty principle, tunneling etc. but the one that I still cant is the polarization problem. If you pass a bunch of vertically polarized photons through a vertically aligned set of "blinds" 100% of the photons get through. Now place a set of blinds horizontal (90 degree angle) behind the first set of vertical blinds and none of the photons will get through both the first and second set of blinds. Now place a third set of blinds at 45 degree angel between the first and second set and send the photons through and now some(forgot the percentage) will go through all three blinds!!!

amazing …. but true.

now one from the world of relativity.

Place a clock on the surface of the earth, then placed a synchronized clock on the top of the Empire state building. The clock on the surface of the earth runs slower. Time runs slower the stronger the gravitational field.

amazing... but true!

Comment

During the filming of The Shining, the gofer that had the job of polishing Jack Nicholson’s axe blade to achieve maximum cinematic effect, was none other than Simon Cowell.

Amazing.. but true.

so I’ve heard

Comment

Originally posted by Yabs View Post
                          During the filming of The Shining, the gofer that had the job of polishing Jack Nicholson’s axe blade to achieve maximum cinematic effect, was none other than Simon Cowell.
                          Possibly his most useful contribution to the entertainment industry.

Amazing... but true.
                          Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

The last public execution in France (by guillotine) was of Eugen Weidmann, a serial murderer, in 1939. It was witnessed by a 17 year old Christopher Lee.

Amazing but true.
                            Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Possibly his most useful contribution to the entertainment industry.

Amazing... but true.
                              No arguments from me on that one Sam
                              Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Working...
                              X