Horror Show

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I was like a lamb to the slaughter.
    Three things in life that don't stay hidden for to long ones the sun ones the moon and the other is the truth

Comment

• Rutting

I can't agree

Tom Wescott, when he's on heat, is far worse

Dave

Comment

• If you ever have a chance to see Whatever Happened to Baby Jane (Crawford and Davis) in a theater, it is less campy, and much scarier on a big screen.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scorpio View Post
          Has anyone seen ' Paranormal activity' ?. For an investment of ninety minutes, i received one minutes worth of mild scare. The reviews were very good, but i was not getting that terrifying vibe.Perhaps because i watched it on my laptop, i may have lost something of the big screen's ability to sell this kind of thing.
          Not a terrible movie, but an inert one.
          I've been away from the site for several weeks. Just popped back in and found your post about a movie I rather enjoy. Just as with its forerunner "The Blair Witch Project," many people seem to either love it or hate it. I love them both, but they both suffer from one thing- they are only scary the first time. After that, no amount of time in between rewatchings seems to be able to deliver the same level of shock value. But that first time watching "Paranormal Activity," I've got to say that Katie Featherston being yanked out of bed and then dragged screaming out the door by her invisible assailant freaked the hell out of me. It is an incubus, a demon rapist, the mere concept of which sends a chill down the spine. I also remember feeling very strongly that Katie's boyfriend was one of the biggest jerks I've ever seen in any movie who both invited and deserved what happened to him in the end.

Have you seen any of the sequels? I've seen part 2, a prequel that overlaps with part 1 just slightly. SPOILER ALERT, stop reading here if you don't want to know anything about it. There are further chills in how the demon messes with a newborn baby and hurts a dog, and it's absolutely maddening to find that it wanted Katie's sister first and that the sister secretly sent it to her to get rid of it. There are one or two other sequels, on my list to see. I believe part 3 is another prequel that covers the two sisters' first encounters with the demon as children.
          Last edited by kensei; 01-26-2014, 02:58 AM.

Comment

• I've not seen the sequels to Paranormal activity. However, i did watch ' The conjuring '. I found this one watchable but to mild for my tastes . It was a real chicken Korma of a movie.
            SCORPIO

Comment

• Saw

I have recently watched the original SAW movie, and i thought i would write a brief review of it.
              A man awakes in a tub of water in a derelict basement. He see's another man imprisoned with him, and a corpse on the floor with a revolver in his hand. Together, the two men discover they have been kidnapped by someone that they suspect is a criminal who has been dubbed ' The jigsawman '.
              The opening scene is atmospheric and quite intriguing, promising to be a battle of wits and wills between predator and prey. However,this building tension is cut short by mostly dull backstory concerning one of the hostages brief term as a Jigsaw man suspect. This part of the movie is enlightened by a crime scene discovery involving barbed wire, and an interview with a Jigsawman victim involving some novel headwear. The movie continues in this uneven vein, with subplots involving Cops, and the hostages family imperiled,shoehorned into the central premise line. Happily, the film closes strongly ;returning to the basement, a hostage takes drastic action to escape, and in a gimmicky but fun scene we discover who that dead man really is. It would be fair to describe SAW as a pleasing but faulted film: A solid exploitation movie which makes good use of its limited budget, mixed with an inferior SEVEN, with police procedural scenes, and the killer being motivated by moral self satisfaction idea being lifted straight from the aforementioned film.
              Last edited by Scorpio; 03-09-2014, 12:47 PM.
              SCORPIO

Comment

• Just seen "the Keep" again and even though its a dated film its one of the few horrors that has a very arty feel to it in the medium of the music and the use of dark and light in the scenes, it inparts to you a mood, and what horror is found there is not the full focus of the film unlike so many horrors, it has at its core a simple but good story and some fair acting ,what I like most about it is you come away from the film feeling you have not seen just a horror but something more like a picture a piece of art.
                Last edited by PC Fitzroy-Toye; 03-09-2014, 05:05 PM.

Comment

• The Keep was an early Michael Mann effort. Mann later directed The last of the mohicans, and Ali.
                  SCORPIO

Comment

• Do others find it difficult to be frightened by horror movies either before your birth or after reaching adulthood? Most especially the latter. I would rather fight zombies than most daily stressors. Which of Jigsaw's games would get me out of doing my taxes this year? Growing up sucks.

My favs are Seven and Silence of the Lambs.

Comment

• A whole slew of classic horror came out during my childhood; it was the age of the video nasty and the slasher movie. I like some horror movies that predate my birth, mostly Hammer movies and Roger Corman. I dont think a movie produced after adulthood has scared me, but i thought that The Blair witch project and Ring were pretty effective.
                      SCORPIO

Comment

• I myself am a fan of classic horror, I can't say they "scare" me, but to me, it's more about atmosphere, for my money nothing can top the old Universal films, I love Hammer films as well… and there are some absolutely amazing and beautiful silent horror films (bother European and American)but my first love was Universal. Speaking of which, there was an amazing documentary included as a bonus feature on the history of the genre included on the Universal Legacy series anniversary additions… the documentary is well worth the price of the DVD’s alone!!

I lost interest in most horror, slasher films bore me for the most part (The Original Nightmare on Elm street however was quite fun, and did have serious atmosphere!! And the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre ..but why they insist on remaking these films… and they are always terrible remakes!!) and the “startle” or as I like to call them the “Boo” horror films of the 90’s.. where nothing scary happened, things just always seemed to “jump” out at characters…zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. I also never understood the big deal with the Blair Witch Project.. I found the film to be a bore… the big deal and hype was “it’s so scary people are getting sick in the theater” well, yeah, I almost got sick too.. but it was from the motion sickness.. shaky cam, on a big screen will give people motion sickness, unless they look away and focus on something still for a moment or two… but the movie itself, did nothing for me.. again, just my opinion, I have several friends who loved it….

Now I can’t wait to go home and watch some films (oh how happy my G/F will be!!)

---Steadmund Brand
                        "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Comment

• Originally posted by PC Fitzroy-Toye View Post
                          Just seen "the Keep" again and even though its a dated film its one of the few horrors that has a very arty feel to it in the medium of the music and the use of dark and light in the scenes, it inparts to you a mood, and what horror is found there is not the full focus of the film unlike so many horrors, it has at its core a simple but good story and some fair acting ,what I like most about it is you come away from the film feeling you have not seen just a horror but something more like a picture a piece of art.
                          I watched the Keep a couple months back. I'd forgotten how good it was. It gets regularly trashed, but I think it holds up well.

The pity is that the author despised the adaption, which has delayed the filming of any of his other books
                          “Sans arme, sans violence et sans haine”

Comment

• Originally posted by Magpie View Post
                            I watched the Keep a couple months back. I'd forgotten how good it was. It gets regularly trashed, but I think it holds up well.

The pity is that the author despised the adaption, which has delayed the filming of any of his other books
                            It a childhood favrite of mine found it creepy and moody on first viewing and every other time after that always liked the mood of it and the sound track, tangerine dream's a fav of mine anyhow, and I never understood why it gets poor reviews its got a fair script and acting great mood and sound plus a monolithic keep and an energy draining golem and his conjoined nemisis with weird eyes! whats not to like?
                            Last edited by PC Fitzroy-Toye; 03-13-2014, 03:06 PM.

Comment

• Hi Steadmund

Yes, I am a Universal/Hammer/Amicus fan. Add in Night of the Demon and Dead of Night.

Anyone can make a horror film by having some Thing leap out and tear someone's head off.

Comment

• Guillermo Tel Toro is filming a new horror movie in my hometown this summer
                                One of my friends has been hired as an extra. Should be interesting to see how that pans out.
                                “Sans arme, sans violence et sans haine”

Comment

Working...
                                X