Question for English People: Student Loans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for English People: Student Loans

Here in the U.S. student loans have become an enormous problem. Young adults take out huge loans from the government to attend college and after four years when they graduate it is not unusual to be in debt to the tune of $50,000 or $100,000 especially if you attend a prestigious private (as opposed to state) school. A law school graduate could be looking at $150,000 in debt. So I was wondering how is a university education paid for in England?

c.d.

Whereas higher education in the UK used to be free for the majority of students - tuition fees were paid, and there were grants available to cover subsistence and even travel. However, this system was ditched in favour of student loans in the late 1990s, with students eventually having to borrow heavily in order to cover the costs of tuition, accommodation and everything else. For students studying in England - which has a higher cost of living than other parts of the UK - the average debt on graduation is of the order of £50,000.

For example, see this article: https://university.which.co.uk/advic...-to-university
    Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Thanks for that, Sam.

c.d.

Comment

The cost of free education & Medicare for all in the USA will be chickenfeed compared to the Wall Street bailout.
        Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

Debt = Control.

Comment

I did a 4 year degree at Stuttgart University with the final year in the UK. There were no tuition fees but I took out student loans totalling 28k Deutschmarks. This changed to 13k Euros on 01 Jan 2001 and I paid them off in instalments of roughly 1k Euros every year with the final instalment in 2015 (Yay!).

The UK now has tuition fees of up to £9,500 a year for public universities but most EU universities are still free for EU nationals, with tuition fees only for overseas students.
            Last edited by Svensson; 07-01-2019, 11:19 AM.

Comment

the problem is with the cost of college education (at least here in the states). when I was going to school about 30 years ago it was only about a couple grand per semester. now its like 25. the scam is the schools constantly jacking up the price. like most things its greed, incompetence and stupidity.

Comment

Working...
              X