Protesting Against Toleration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Protesting Against Toleration

West Midlands mayor Andy Street says he is in "disbelief" at material distributed by protesters.

I wonder how long it will be before the authorities collective spines turn to jelly and they back down here?
    Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Back down it what the schools are teaching, or back down and not do anything about the people protesting the teaching , not sure which one you mean , i dont usually get into these debates but im just curious thats all.
    'It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is. It doesn't matter how smart you are . If it doesn't agree with experiment, its wrong'' . Richard Feynman

Comment

Originally posted by FISHY1118 View Post
      Back down it what the schools are teaching, or back down and not do anything about the people protesting the teaching , not sure which one you mean , i dont usually get into these debates but im just curious thats all.
      I mean that the school have made a decision about these lessons. Some of the parents are continuing to protest because they want the school system to conform to their own religious beliefs. Will the school/local government stand firm or start to back down.
      Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Thanks for the clarification H.S.
        'It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is. It doesn't matter how smart you are . If it doesn't agree with experiment, its wrong'' . Richard Feynman

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post

I mean that the school have made a decision about these lessons. Some of the parents are continuing to protest because they want the school system to conform to their own religious beliefs. Will the school/local government stand firm or start to back down.
          Esther McVey and a Labour politician (ex now as he was expelled) have supported the protestors but so far the politicians and establishment have stood firm. I am hoping that the authorities stand firm - religious beliefs should not influence education in a secular society IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by etenguy View Post

Esther McVey and a Labour politician (ex now as he was expelled) have supported the protestors but so far the politicians and establishment have stood firm. I am hoping that the authorities stand firm - religious beliefs should not influence education in a secular society IMHO.
            Exactly Eten. Society should have had enough by now of certain religious groups trying to get the society that they live in to amends its ways and beliefs just to suit their own religious beliefs.
            Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

The politicians and establishment are standing firm on teaching young children about these LGBT issues as these are the people imposing on the public
              which subjects their children should learn or not learn. What accountability, transparency is there on the people making these decisions.

Shouldn't it be the parents be driving which subjects are taught to their children?

Are we living in China or Nazi Germany?

Martyn

Comment

Originally posted by mpriestnall View Post
                The politicians and establishment are standing firm on teaching young children about these LGBT issues as these are the people imposing on the public
                which subjects their children should learn or not learn. What accountability, transparency is there on the people making these decisions.

Shouldn't it be the parents be driving which subjects are taught to their children?

Are we living in China or Nazi Germany?

Martyn
                So would we be fine if they said that they couldn’t teach about evolution in biology because it contradicts their religious beliefs?

Would German parents have a point if they asked that schools didn’t teach about Hitler because they felt that it presented a negative image of Germany?

Can we name any other instances where parents have protested at what schools are teaching? I can’t. But when you mention accountability and transparency I’d ask what about the Islamic schools and Jewish schools in the U.K. that were discovered to have been teaching their kids really horrible things? Are we sure that this isn’t still going on? Of course it’s still going on. This school is open and part of a national curriculum. It’s regularly inspected and monitored. Do they consult the parents on what history topics they teach? Or what topics they cover in Geography? This is purely about people seeking to prioritise their religious beliefs over everything and everyone else. The school are teaching nothing about sex so there’s no cause for complaint on that score. All they appear to be looking to teach kids is that they live in a world of differences (religious belief/ethnicity/culture/sexuality) and that it’s better for society as a whole if they treat everyone with fairness and kindness. How can anyone object to that? Well they can of course if their religious beliefs don’t allow for it.

They have to stand firm firm and completely unbending on this issue and any similar ones. The teaching of children shouldn’t be hijacked by the minority. This is not an Islamic country. Islamic rules do not, cannot be imposed. Who would have thought that it 2019 there would be demonstrations against the teaching of kindness in schools?
                Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

So would we be fine if they said that they couldn’t teach about evolution in biology because it contradicts their religious beliefs?

Would German parents have a point if they asked that schools didn’t teach about Hitler because they felt that it presented a negative image of Germany?

Can we name any other instances where parents have protested at what schools are teaching? I can’t. But when you mention accountability and transparency I’d ask what about the Islamic schools and Jewish schools in the U.K. that were discovered to have been teaching their kids really horrible things? Are we sure that this isn’t still going on? Of course it’s still going on. This school is open and part of a national curriculum. It’s regularly inspected and monitored. Do they consult the parents on what history topics they teach? Or what topics they cover in Geography? This is purely about people seeking to prioritise their religious beliefs over everything and everyone else. The school are teaching nothing about sex so there’s no cause for complaint on that score. All they appear to be looking to teach kids is that they live in a world of differences (religious belief/ethnicity/culture/sexuality) and that it’s better for society as a whole if they treat everyone with fairness and kindness. How can anyone object to that? Well they can of course if their religious beliefs don’t allow for it.

They have to stand firm firm and completely unbending on this issue and any similar ones. The teaching of children shouldn’t be hijacked by the minority. This is not an Islamic country. Islamic rules do not, cannot be imposed. Who would have thought that it 2019 there would be demonstrations against the teaching of kindness in schools?
                  I have to agree and could not put it better.

I would add that what they teach is the law in this country with regards to the Equality Act. It seems odd to complain that children are taught in line with the Country's law.
                  Last edited by etenguy; 06-14-2019, 05:38 PM.

Comment

Who would have thought that it 2019 there would be demonstrations against the teaching of kindness in schools?
                    ..."the teaching of kindness". Beautifully put.

Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
                      ..."the teaching of kindness". Beautifully put.
                      Thank you Sam
                      Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Working...
                      X