No announcement yet.

Period piece thrillers!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I guess Heather Graham was miscast as mary Kelly too. yeesh cmon guys this was a very unhistorical mash up of a grahic novel based on the royal conspiracy! lol. much artistic liscense was taken!!

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
      I guess Heather Graham was miscast as mary Kelly too. yeesh cmon guys this was a very unhistorical mash up of a grahic novel based on the royal conspiracy! lol. much artistic liscense was taken!!
      Indeed, but having "pretty-boy" Depp as a 40-something, paunchy detective would be a bit like casting Macaulay Culkin as Benjamin Franklin.
      Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
        Indeed, but having "pretty-boy" Depp as a 40-something, paunchy detective would be a bit like casting Macaulay Culkin as Benjamin Franklin.
        lol. now that's funny

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
          By the way, has anyone seen the adaptation of The Alienist? Great book but any good on screen?
          Yes, I watched it. Somewhat different from the book, but kept close to the mood and general atmosphere of 1890s New York. (They shot in Eastern Europe, I believe). Plot doesn't vary too much, though the Catholic Church's involvement was toned down, I think. Teddy Roosevelt was present, also the young lady who assisted the police, the two Jewish brothers, and some nasty bruiser types. I recommend it if you liked the novel. I was able to enjoy it as a period thriller, even knowing the solution, and the cast was good.
          Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
          ---------------
          Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
          ---------------

Comment

Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post

Yes, I watched it. Somewhat different from the book, but kept close to the mood and general atmosphere of 1890s New York. (They shot in Eastern Europe, I believe). Plot doesn't vary too much, though the Catholic Church's involvement was toned down, I think. Teddy Roosevelt was present, also the young lady who assisted the police, the two Jewish brothers, and some nasty bruiser types. I recommend it if you liked the novel. I was able to enjoy it as a period thriller, even knowing the solution, and the cast was good.
            Thanks for that Pat.

A friend of mine has the first season on dvd or Blu-ray which I’ll borrow the next time I see him.
            Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Working...
            X