Period piece thrillers!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Abby.

Jekyll and Hyde (by Mansfield) opened on Aug. 4th 1888 at the Lyceum, scheduled to close on Sept. 29th, but there were sporadic performances between 10th Oct. and 20th, according to this Wiki.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dr._Je...yde_(1887_play)
    Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
      I don't know if you remember Jack Palance as Jekyll & Hyde, it's probably dated now. There was one scene with Palance running through a narrow passage towards the camera, top hat & cape swaying in the wind - very Jack the Ripper'ish.
      Wasn't Jack Palance actually in a Ripper movie? I think it was called The Man in the Attic, and was based on The Lodger.

Comment

Great choices, I also liked The Illusionist and the other similar movie with Michael Cain, The Prestige.

I agree with Abby, Murder by Decree was good but the ending was a let down.

I don't know if you remember Jack Palance as Jekyll & Hyde, it's probably dated now. There was one scene with Palance running through a narrow passage towards the camera, top hat & cape swaying in the wind - very Jack the Ripper'ish.

Have you seen The Nine Gates, or The Ninth Gate (something like that). Johnny Depp is an archivist on the hunt for rare books. Black Magic, Witchcraft, etc. Great movie, I watch it every time it comes on.
        Haven’t seen that one Wick. To be honest the problem with me is that I wouldn’t describe myself as a film buff so I often miss out on seeing a film because subject matter doesn’t immediately attract me. I’ve lost count of the films that I’ve read about and thought no but when I’ve seen it by accident later on I’ve found that it’s a great movie.
        Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Originally posted by Joshua Rogan View Post

Wasn't Jack Palance actually in a Ripper movie? I think it was called The Man in the Attic, and was based on The Lodger.
          He was Joshua.
          Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Originally posted by etenguy View Post
            A tester for you Herlock, or anyone who might know. I have a vague memory of a Sherlock Holmes film which I enjoyed. I do not remember Watson being a character in this film. The plot, as best I remember it, was centred around a woman badly treated by her husband and/or family. They lived in a large house/stately home and the family were well connected with a good reputation. She fears for her life as things escalate and wants to get away. I cannot remember the reason she could not just leave. She lures Sherlock Holmes into helping her. After Sherlock has 'saved' her he confronts her with her deception and tells her he knows she has concocted the whole story. The important clue to discovering her deception has to do with perfume or a perfume bottle. He tells her he helped because of the feelings he has for her, but she rebuffs him and leaves.

I do not remember any useful details, such as character names, and have never come across this plotline in any synopsis of a Sherlock Holmes film I have seen on the internet. It may have been a TV film (or even a dream as i have never found it since seeing it a number of years ago).

Does it ring any bells? To make matters worse, I'm not even sure if i have really remembered the plot very accurately.
            To be honest Eten you have me baffled with this one. It doesn’t sound at all familiar.
            Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Originally posted by etenguy View Post
              A tester for you Herlock, or anyone who might know. I have a vague memory of a Sherlock Holmes film which I enjoyed. I do not remember Watson being a character in this film. The plot, as best I remember it, was centred around a woman badly treated by her husband and/or family. They lived in a large house/stately home and the family were well connected with a good reputation. She fears for her life as things escalate and wants to get away. I cannot remember the reason she could not just leave. She lures Sherlock Holmes into helping her. After Sherlock has 'saved' her he confronts her with her deception and tells her he knows she has concocted the whole story. The important clue to discovering her deception has to do with perfume or a perfume bottle. He tells her he helped because of the feelings he has for her, but she rebuffs him and leaves.

I do not remember any useful details, such as character names, and have never come across this plotline in any synopsis of a Sherlock Holmes film I have seen on the internet. It may have been a TV film (or even a dream as i have never found it since seeing it a number of years ago).

Does it ring any bells? To make matters worse, I'm not even sure if i have really remembered the plot very accurately.
              How sure are you it was Sherlock Holmes?
              Regards, Jon S.

Comment

No sure but was it' Mr Holmes' Ian McKellen playing an aging retired Holmes who has taken to beekeeping, his mind is slowly going and he thinks back to a case in the past involving a depressed woman [ flashbacks ] who is seeing a spiritualist. I recall him developing a relationship with her.

Miss Marple

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
                  By the way, has anyone seen the adaptation of The Alienist? Great book but any good on screen?
                  I thought it was decent but not great. One thing they did that I really disliked was to have interviews with the actors on set when they were in their regular clothes. Completely shatters the illusion that they are trying to create in the first place. Don't remind people that they are watching a movie not reality.

c.d.

Comment

Originally posted by miss marple View Post
                    No sure but was it' Mr Holmes' Ian McKellen playing an aging retired Holmes who has taken to beekeeping, his mind is slowly going and he thinks back to a case in the past involving a depressed woman [ flashbacks ] who is seeing a spiritualist. I recall him developing a relationship with her.

Miss Marple
                    Theres definitely a perfume connection in that one too. With Holmes falling for the woman there are also elements of the William Gillette play/movie.

This page is for the film. For the Sherlock (2010) character see Mr Holmes (Carlton). Mr Holmes is the film adaptation of Mitch Cullin's book, A Slight Trick of the Mind. It is directed by Oscar winner Bill Condon and stars Ian McKellen as Sherlock Holmes and Laura Linney as his housekeeper, Mrs Munro (each actor's second collaboration with Condon, after 1998's Gods and Monsters and 2004's Kinsey, respectively). The screenplay is adapted by Jeffrey Hatcher, and is released on 6 August 2015. In 1

Ring any bells Eten?

Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Originally posted by c.d. View Post

I thought it was decent but not great. One thing they did that I really disliked was to have interviews with the actors on set when they were in their regular clothes. Completely shatters the illusion that they are trying to create in the first place. Don't remind people that they are watching a movie not reality.

c.d.
                      I read The Alienist years ago and the one that Carr wrote next and thought they were both great. It’s always a risk that screen versions don’t live up to the book. I’ll probably wait until I can pick up a cheap dvd/Blu-ray some time in the future. Or better still, wait for my film buff mate to buy it then borrow it.
                      Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Originally posted by Joshua Rogan View Post

The Man In The Attic is available to watch on YouTube btw. Haven’t seen it for a while but I seem to remember quite enjoying it. I have it on dvd somewhere.
                        Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Originally posted by c.d. View Post

c.d.
                          Hi cd
                          are you referring to the tv series? Or a movie?
                          "Is all that we see or seem
                          but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
                          quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post

Hi cd
                            are you referring to the tv series? Or a movie?
                            TV series. Sorry.

c.d.

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post

Theres definitely a perfume connection in that one too. With Holmes falling for the woman there are also elements of the William Gillette play/movie.

This page is for the film. For the Sherlock (2010) character see Mr Holmes (Carlton). Mr Holmes is the film adaptation of Mitch Cullin's book, A Slight Trick of the Mind. It is directed by Oscar winner Bill Condon and stars Ian McKellen as Sherlock Holmes and Laura Linney as his housekeeper, Mrs Munro (each actor's second collaboration with Condon, after 1998's Gods and Monsters and 2004's Kinsey, respectively). The screenplay is adapted by Jeffrey Hatcher, and is released on 6 August 2015. In 1

Ring any bells Eten?
                              I will have to watch again - it may be a muddled brain has mis-remembered. There is one scene in a garden/park that will clinch it for me. Good excuse to revisit.

Comment

How sure are you it was Sherlock Holmes?
                                it is one of the few things of which I am sure - I suspect the others pointing to Mr Holmes may have unfurled the confusion in my mind.

Comment

Working...
                                X