Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Public Appeal- Please Support London's Oldest Barber!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Public Appeal- Please Support London's Oldest Barber!

Many of you probably heard of 90-year-old Aaron Biber, London's oldest barber, when his little barbershop in Tottenham was tragically destroyed by vandals during the London riots. I remember watching it on TV, and feeling saddened at the senseless destruction which victimized a very hardworking elderly gentleman.

There's a terrific article about Aaron on one of my favorite blogs, 'Spitalfields Life'. Aaron's parents were Polish refugees who came to the East End in the 1890's. He grew up very poor. You can read details about his life here: http://spitalfieldslife.com/2012/06/...oldest-barber/

But the main reason I'm posting it is that although Aaron's little shop was rebuilt with donations after the riots, for some reason his business has dropped off. Sometimes he has only 1 customer a day. Doctors have told him he's the kind of person who will die if he retires, and since Aaron has lost his wife of 70 years he doesn't want to sit at home all alone.

I was thinking that those of you who live in or visit London could pay Aaron a visit, get your hair cut, and hear some first-hand stories about life in the old East End. -Aaron will cut your hair with the same blue-steel scissors his father gave him 78 years ago!

Please help keep this man in business. It matters.
    We're all dedicated to preserving History, and I think it's good to remember that History is the story of peoples' lives... people like Aaron Biber.

Please tell your friends too.

Thanks very much,
    Archaic

PS: Would somebody please post the full address and phone number of Aaron's shop in Tottenham so people can locate him? Thanks.
    Last edited by Archaic; 07-22-2012, 11:29 PM.

Aaron Biber’s Gentlemen’s Hairdressing, 22 Scotland Green, Tottenham, N17 9TT

Not sure of his phone number, i couldn't find him in the online book.

Comment

Thank you very much, Robert.

Archaic

Comment

My husband is a London cabbie. He is going to spread the word among his cabbie colleagues as quite a few of them live over that way. Also, their work would often take them near Aaron's barber shop and they would, I am sure, call in for a hair cut during their lunch break if they need one. Cabbies are famous for their support for this type of thing.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention Bunny.

Comment

Maybe one or two of the cabbies could give him a free advert on their cabs for a week or two. But what it really needs is a "celeb" to go in and have his hair done on camera.

Comment

Hello Robert,

I am in London in a week or so, and will make a B-line for the place if I possibly can. Time is the problem with me, sadly.

I suggest someone pass this info on to Sky News.. am not at home and havent my contact's details. They love this sort of thing.

best wishes

Phil
            Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
            Accountability? ....

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
              Maybe one or two of the cabbies could give him a free advert on their cabs for a week or two. But what it really needs is a "celeb" to go in and have his hair done on camera.
              That's a really good idea Robert, but unfortuately, they are not allowed to do this, except for 'officially approved liveries'.

However, a poster in one or two of the cabbies' refreshment huts should produce results. Also, word of mouth. I think we have to be a little careful as Mr Biber is very likely a very independent and proud man and would welcome genuine trade but not anything that seems to be 'charity'.

Comment

Yes, you're right, Limehouse.

Comment

Originally posted by Limehouse View Post
                  My husband is a London cabbie. He is going to spread the word among his cabbie colleagues as quite a few of them live over that way. Also, their work would often take them near Aaron's barber shop and they would, I am sure, call in for a hair cut during their lunch break if they need one. Cabbies are famous for their support for this type of thing.

Hi Bunny and everyone,

First of all - many thanks to Bunny for letting us know about Aaron.

Limehouse - your idea sounds great. What Aaron probably needs is a new set of 'younger' customers. I suspect that many of his 'old' customers have by now died or are in nursing homes.

Also, as the London Olympics are soon to start, perhaps some form of advertising could say something along the lines of a 'once in a lifetime experience of getting your hair cut by London's oldest barber'. (Or something like that!).

Carol
                  Last edited by Carol; 07-23-2012, 03:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Limehouse View Post

Hi Julie. Please thank your hubby for me, that's wonderful!

Thanks for the great ideas and support for Aaron, everybody. I hope you will be able to go there, Phil.

Maybe people who live in the London area can "tweet" about it on Twitter? Or mention it on their Facebook page? I know that if a few people tell a few more people the news will expand exponentially. It would be so cool if we could inspire a Barber Shop Flash Mob!

And it would be wonderful if some of the people attending the Olympics could stop in for a haircut.

Apparently Aaron used to cut the hair of the local police; I wish there was some way to get contact them and ask them to revive this tradition. I'm sure they'd enjoy it and become "regulars" again.

Many thanks to everyone,
                    Archaic

Comment

Phil I emailed Sky but Bunny's link doesn't work in the body of my email, even though it still works in her post! I pasted it carefully too. I just get a spanner in works message.

Comment

Hi Robert. If you click on the link and copy it directly from Spitalfields Life, does that work?

Thanks, B.

Comment

Well done Bunny, that works.

Comment

Hi Robert, glad it worked.

Thanks very much for contacting Sky. Let's hope they read their mail!

Archaic

Comment

My husband has connections with the taxi trade press. One of the most-read weekly publications is going to run an article about Aaron and his shop. Hopefully, that should drum up some interest.

Comment

Working...
                              X