Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

alternate ending

Hello Ruby.

"I . . . wrote a spirited defence of Sgt Troy, and pointed out Bathsheba only ended up with Gabriel Oak because there was no one else left -and she would have been bored to death for the rest of her life with Oak."

But Hardy could have had Boldwood rehabilitated. Of course, he might have been MORE boring than Oak.

Cheers.
    LC

Comment

Reinvent Holmes and Watson by all means. It's been done countless times already as others have said.

But if someone is really going to take a Doyle text and drop in extra scenes, whatever their content, this is disrespectful, unethical, and lazy. An analogy would be when someone takes a recording by a long-dead artist and overdubs extra instruments or manufactures a duet. I'm not much of a John Lennon fan but I believe even his late cohorts whose names I forget were out of order to make "Free as a Bird".

Best wishes,
      Steve.

Comment

But Hardy could have had Boldwood rehabilitated. Of course, he might have been MORE boring than Oak.
        Boldwood ? After all those years, putting it off, Bathsheba only had to get a whiff of Troy back from the dead, and she was 'turned' in an instant..

Of course, Boldwood was even more boring than Oak ...but he had money and social contacts. Boldwood was obviously a bit extreme (but a failure -he hadn't managed to seduce Bathsheba in all that time ???????).

And Oak hadn't managed to either seduce Bathsheba nor build a relationship with anyone else in over 7 years ????

Who are these men ??

(I suddenly feel 16 again !).

Troy just simply loved Fanny Robbin and not Bathsheba. Bathsheba unwittingly ruined Troy's life by tempting him since she was a 'trophy' with status and cash..Troy just saw Bathsheba as having killed Fanny and his child, and he'd never have forgiven her.

(Ho Ho. I didn't like school homework at the time. But this sort of thing was more interesting than Maths..pity the teacher thought that Oak was the solid mature moral choice..just shows you that I never really grew up..).
        http://youtu.be/GcBr3rosvNQ

Comment

England expects every man . . .

Hello Ruby. Thanks.

"Boldwood . . . hadn't managed to seduce Bathsheba in all that time ???????

And Oak hadn't managed to either seduce Bathsheba nor build a relationship with anyone else in over 7 years ????

Who are these men ??"

British, of course. (heh-heh)

But back to topic.

Cheers.
          LC

Comment

Working...
          X